Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High-usage supercharger station

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Has anyone seen this yet? I plugged into the La Costa urban supercharger and this message popped up on the dash. It automatically set my charge limit to 80%. I was able to move it back to 90% but I’m not sure if it will still stop at 80%.

Attachments

• 11590A79-409A-4361-9EB3-9AE8DF05B08D.jpeg
    11590A79-409A-4361-9EB3-9AE8DF05B08D.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 530
I've been to ones with Tesla signs saying that this is a very in-demand station and usage is strictly limited to 30min. I didn't get to 80% to see if there was any battery limit as well though. I figured it was more of an honor code thing than a software thing, but this is kind of neat to see they can enforce via software if needed.

Reactions: maximizese
I've been to ones with Tesla signs saying that this is a very in-demand station and usage is strictly limited to 30min. I didn't get to 80% to see if there was any battery limit as well though. I figured it was more of an honor code thing than a software thing, but this is kind of neat to see they can enforce via software if needed.
I agree it’s interesting to see them being able to implement it via software. I have seen the signs before as well, but had my doubts on how effective they are.

That's interesting. Not sure if that helps in any way getting people to move their cars.
yes, I wonder if it really helps. Maybe they need a message of "WARNING, charging your car longer than 30 minutes at this charger will cause your battery to explode into a fireball thus resulting in an agonizing painful death for you" :eek::rolleyes:

also got in San Mateo charger.

Curious to the definition of “high-usage”
1) currently certain percentage of slots charging?
2) popular charger based on fleet usage?
3) designated based on geography?
4) based on personal usage of the supercharger?

Has anyone seen this yet? I plugged into the La Costa urban supercharger and this message popped up on the dash. It automatically set my charge limit to 80%. I was able to move it back to 90% but I’m not sure if it will still stop at 80%.

I think that's great. It still allows you to manually adjust for more than 80%, but high-usage Superchargers should take no more than 45 minutes per stall with a few exceptions. Folks passing through on a 120+ mile drive should take advantage of the relatively fast charging before the speed tapers, then head out to the another Supercharger on their route (hopefully the next one won't be high-usage. Drives in within the region ought to top-off at home or at their workplace. I can't think of too many scenarios where charging beyond 80% at a busy SC is a necessity. The only one I can think of are for drivers with the S60 and need hit the upper range to make it to the next Supercharger on their route. I know there are some folks who don't have their place to charge at home or work, but I don't think that represents a significant number.

Tesla should have the data on users' habits of initial SOC%, time spent at SuC, end SOC%, and SuC location utilization frequency. I thought they did the right thing by initiated idle fees when over 50% utilized and offering a 5-minute grace period (as well as app notification when near full). I'm for making the infrastructure more efficient and less frustrating for everyone.

Reactions: israndy
Tesla doesn't get to complain about early adopters using the SC network for normal use just because they lacked the foresight to establish a policy prior to selling the product.

For these specific policy change, I don't understand how they expect to enforce the 80% limit? If you need 95% to make it to you destination, what then? Perhaps this will only apply in areas with multiple SC locations. Seems like the lack of forethought continues.

Tesla doesn't get to complain about early adopters using the SC network for normal use just because they lacked the foresight to establish a policy prior to selling the product.
Maybe not, but they're certainly able to change some of the rules to ease congestion, which appears to be what they're doing.

For these specific policy change, I don't understand how they expect to enforce the 80% limit? If you need 95% to make it to you destination, what then? Perhaps this will only apply in areas with multiple SC locations. Seems like the lack of forethought continues.

Sounds like if you have a destination in the nav that needs > 80% to reach, it will allow you to charge to the level necessary to continue your trip. Now of course that's a relatively easy hack to employ if someone is really has an axe to grind with this proposed change, but I expect 100% draconian compliance is not the goal. If it gets even 10% of people to move on sooner, it was worth the effort.

If you need 95% to make it to you destination, what then? Perhaps this will only apply in areas with multiple SC locations. Seems like the lack of forethought continues.
Not so sure about that. I have travelled ALL over the USA coast to coast several times and I have never needed more than 80% to get to my next destination or charger. I'm sure there is probably an unusual situation somewhere along the routes in America where this might be needed, but I haven't run across it yet. Frankly, I never want to charge above 80% anyway because I spend more time getting a lower charge rate above 80% than if I just get back on the road and charge at the next location a couple hundred miles later. Of course I am just talking about my experience in the MX 100. I can imagine this maybe being a problem with a 75 or even a 90 model.

Yes, it is in only a small percentage of locations where this is possible, and several sources of information are missing to note that people on trips away from home are not restricted. I think it is well thought out. :D but sure some folks will be upset

Sounds like if you have a destination in the nav that needs > 80% to reach, it will allow you to charge to the level necessary to continue your trip. Now of course that's a relatively easy hack to employ if someone is really has an axe to grind with this proposed change, but I expect 100% draconian compliance is not the goal. If it gets even 10% of people to move on sooner, it was worth the effort.

I don't see how this works. What if your destination has no charging and you need to charge to above 80% to get back to the supercharger?

Well, I guess you can just set a waypoint in the nav. Oh, wait...

Reactions: outdoors
Not so sure about that. I have travelled ALL over the USA coast to coast several times and I have never needed more than 80%

You must have driven at 55mph on those trips. I’ve done numerous trips from NH to FL and from the east coast to the west coast on I40 and I10 and with detours off those highways. Once my P85 hits 75mph the battery range drops drastically. At higher speeds it is even worse. My rule of thumb is to check the distance from the current supercharger location to the next supercharger location on google maps and then add an additional 30% minimum to the required charge (ie, if distance between 2 superchargers is 100 miles, I charge to I have at least 130 miles indicated range. In areas where higher speeds are allowed (ie, 75 and 80+ mph speed limits) I need to add 50% additional charge (ie, charge to 150 miles for the 100 mile range). In short, there are some locations where it is necessary to charge above 80% to reach the next supercharger location (at least for me). I’m grateful they allow you to over-ride the 80% limit for those occasions.

Not so sure about that. I have travelled ALL over the USA coast to coast several times and I have never needed more than 80% to get to my next destination or charger. I'm sure there is probably an unusual situation somewhere along the routes in America where this might be needed, but I haven't run across it yet.
If you drove North-South in the prairie states you would need it because many of the SCs are 200 miles apart. North-South SCs are just not built out. I wouldn't call it unusual, because it's common, and there's no timeframe for when it might get better because the needed SCs are not even gray dots on Tesla's FindUs site.

You must have driven at 55mph on those trips. I’ve done numerous trips from NH to FL and from the east coast to the west coast on I40 and I10 and with detours off those highways. Once my P85 hits 75mph the battery range drops drastically. At higher speeds it is even worse...…. In short, there are some locations where it is necessary to charge above 80% to reach the next supercharger location (at least for me).

Well that is a good thought, but no, I drive the limit. One example is from the Gigafactory to the East Coast mostly along I80 at 80 mph and I never had an issue. Other routes I've taken to Oklahoma are down 395 to I40 and further south to Florida. I've never done that exact route you drove, but like I said, sure there are probably some routes where you need more than 80%. I just never needed it in the X100. Now I see you talk about the P85 so yes now I understand why you need a higher charge as I mentioned. The nice thing is that time is on our side. Meaning as more SCs come online on the interstates, then charging over 80% becomes less of a problem. :)

If you drove North-South in the prairie states you would need it because many of the SCs are 200 miles apart. North-South SCs are just not built out.
Specifically what route? I will make a note to avoid it. I thought I travelled that route recently, but maybe it another place other than what you mention. Most all of my travel is East West anyway. The only area I have needed to avoid is on I40 between Oklahoma City and Nashville where it is still practically impossible to travel by supercharger alone with any model Tesla at any speed. Maybe the 3 can now do it. I am amazed that hole still isn't filled yet. North Dakota.... another black hole.

Specifically what route? I will make a note to avoid it. I thought I travelled that route recently, but maybe it another place other than what you mention. Most all of my travel is East West anyway. The only area I have needed to avoid is on I40 between Oklahoma City and Nashville where it is still practically impossible to travel by supercharger alone with any model Tesla at any speed. Maybe the 3 can now do it. I am amazed that hole still isn't filled yet. North Dakota.... another black hole.
Try traveling from central South Dakota to south central Nebraska on only an 80% charge. Sure, you can charge to less than 80% and stay on the interstate but that will add several hours and hundreds of miles to your trip. If one spends a few more minutes charging above 80%, they can avoid driving hundreds of extra miles and get there hours faster.