TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High used values results in a high perceived corporate value

Discussion in 'Model S' started by henderrj, Mar 29, 2018.

1. henderrj

henderrj Member

In another post I argued that we might see a 200 kilowatt-hour battery in the S partially because Tesla should want to drive the model S and X further up Market. This, of course, would keep the used values for all Tesla vehicles up, in particular the upper end cars.

If I was Elon, opps, I mean king of the world, I would do this primarily because it would also drive the perceived value of Tesla the corporation higher.

Am I right? Should the S price be driven up once the 3 is being produced in volume? Does a higher used vehicle price drive the general public to perceive the company is of greater value?

• Like x 1
  2. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

3. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

One consequence of 200KWh battery would likely be driving the vehicle weight into Hummer territory. ;)

4. henderrj

henderrj Member

I'm sorry, I don't understand the logic at all. How would the higher new car value drives the used car value down and not up? That it would drive it up seems obvious because that would cause a scarcity of new vehicles, for the average person anyway. That would create a greater need for used. Am I missing something?

5. henderrj

henderrj Member

With current technology, perhaps. But the Roadster 2020 can't possibly weigh what a Hummer does. So, Tesla must have something up their sleeve.

• Like x 1
  6. gaswalla

gaswalla Model S,3,X.. CT with Austin delivery

That could mean a fat tax break in the US, much like the Modelx

7. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

You mean heavy like the Roadster 2020?

8. Tiger

Tiger Active Member

Tesla probably would not increase the high-end prices much, which means you get more for the same amount of money, and in turn less for less of used/old ones. Same happened with 100 kwh vs. 90 kwh before. See also The broader implications of Semi's ~$70/kWh battery pricing

9. whitex

whitex Well-Known Member

2020 Elon time. It's important to note the time zone. ;)

10. Navsarin

Navsarin S100D Red Rocket

Is just like to see M3 a success before thinking abt 200kW. It’s the make or break for Tesla.