Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Vampire Drain

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a 2020 MS LRP and ran a 2-week test. Car was in the garage, plugged in, Sentry Mode off. Charge limit was set ato 50% and when I left the car was at 70%.

Over the 14-day period the car lost 8 kWh total, or about 570 watts per day. I prefer to use kWh because using miles varies by car model. But for those who like miles, my range is 402 miles so 402 *8% = 32 miles (2.3 miles / day).
Your car, unlike pre summer 2015 cars, has standby power supply which explains the low drain.

Ok this will probably be my last update unless people want one more data point tomorrow. 24 hours later range went from 165 to 162 so another -3 miles. Verdict to me is summon turned off and cabin overheat probably did the trick.

• Informative
Reactions: Droschke
Final update, I think we’ve seen the results. It’s also been really hot In my garage this week for reference purposes (prob 88 most of the time during the day). Today we were at 160 miles. The car hasn’t been driven all week 😬. So another -3 overnight.

I just came back from a 2 week trip. Model X sitting in our garage - not plugged in, miles = 234
when I left. After 10 days the miles left was down to just 70 miles. Turned off security monitor and
the drain went to a trickle and 4 days later car was still at 68 miles.
If you leave the security monitor on - it drains the battery. Fast. Next time I leave it for a long
time like that I'll probably still leave the security monitor on ... but also plug it in so it can 'refresh'
itself as needed.
- Jim in the PNW

I just came back from a 2 week trip. Model X sitting in our garage - not plugged in, miles = 234
when I left. After 10 days the miles left was down to just 70 miles. Turned off security monitor and
the drain went to a trickle and 4 days later car was still at 68 miles.
If you leave the security monitor on - it drains the battery. Fast. Next time I leave it for a long
time like that I'll probably still leave the security monitor on ... but also plug it in so it can 'refresh'
itself as needed.
- Jim in the PNW
I also found if I leave my car in the garage unlocked it will crush the battery. As in I lost 20 miles in 3 nights. Lesson learned lock the car so it can sleep

I have more data to add to this thread. I last charged nov 8 to 46%. I proceeded to not drive or get in the car since then as I went out of town. A bit disappointed in the vampire drain. The car has lost 15% in 10 days sitting idle and locked in the garage.
FC5D4B2B-1034-4F35-A663-34E3A641ED19.png

Don't recall if you had mentioned which MCU you have. For MCU1, this might be a bit high . For MCU2, that's normal and can even be 2-2.5%, which is what I'm experiencing now.
The car has the original mcu1 from 2015 Nov as far as i know. Also I think cabin overhead protection is still off. It’s been pretty cold in Ohio about 45 in garage.

• Informative
Hi,
I'm away from home for a few days. Just went in to check charge status ... and discovered the
vehicle is doing a software update. Tried to cancel/suspend the software update and there
appears to be no way to do this using the Tesla app on my phone. As near as I can tell the
only way to do that (cancel software update) would be if I were sitting in the car.

Is this true (can't cancel using phone app)? Why isn't it possible?
- Jim in the PNW