Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High Voltage Battery is Being Replaced

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Sounds like a failure of something like the DC-DC converter that converts pack voltage to 12vdc for the car's electrical system. If it quit working the car's electronics would drain the 12V battery...

Is this converter in the pack? I know they do not let the service centers open the pack so it all gets replaced...

Or it might just be a fuse in the pack on a circuit that sends pack voltage to an external DC-DC converter. Again they do not let the service centers open the pack so it would all get replaced even for something as simple as a fuse...

When I had my HV battery replaced due to failing to charge the 12V battery, the paperwork said "Replaced 12v battery for low voltage after high voltage interlock loop failure". I'm guessing that the "high voltage interlock loop" that failed is located within the battery pack and must be working properly for the DC-DC convertor to charge the 12v battery. But that is speculation on my part.

I have VIN 5785 and had a "B" battery pack. The replacement battery has a different part number (although it still ends in B) and can supercharge at 120 kW. The replacement battery range charges to a few miles less than the battery it replaced (257 for the replacement battery and 262 for the original a few days before it was replaced) so I wish I'd known at the time that they allowed sranger to get his original pack back after the repair. But it's not enough range loss for me to get too bent out of shape.

The replacement battery range charges to a few miles less than the battery it replaced (257 for the replacement battery and 262 for the original a few days before it was replaced) so I wish I'd known at the time that they allowed sranger to get his original pack back after the repair. But it's not enough range loss for me to get too bent out of shape.

It's hard to judge the actual capacity of the battery. The numbers that the car displays are just estimates, and they do drift out of calibration over time, especially if you don't often drive it to empty or range charge it. So it could be there is less difference than you think, or on the other hand, there could be more.

More than likely they aren't installing old batteries in newer cars. Nobody has reported that on here yet. That just wouldn't make sense. Even IF they put in an old A type the only difference would be a few minute difference in Supercharging. Were they at least responsive when you had the issue? Getting the car picked up and everything? Loaner?

I had my "A" battery replaced and was given a refurbished "A" battery. They are not retiring them. I did ask for a "B" battery, but that was not what I received. For the most part, it doesn't make a difference to me, since I don't supercharge that often. I was happy to go from a 90% charge at 210 on the old pack to a 90% charge at 233 on the refurbished.

It's hard to judge the actual capacity of the battery. The numbers that the car displays are just estimates, and they do drift out of calibration over time, especially if you don't often drive it to empty or range charge it. So it could be there is less difference than you think, or on the other hand, there could be more.

True- but after I got the replacement pack I did a few range charges, got the pack below 20% SOC, range charged at a supercharger, and did another range charge without seeing any increase. A similar protocol with the original pack raised the max range by about 5 miles. Although I wasn't able to control for things like ambient temperature, software version, etc. so I agree that it's hard to be absolutely sure the replacement pack really has less capacity than the original. But if they would have let me get my original pack back, I certainly would have taken them up on it.

I have vin 715 Sig. I got a call from the Dania Store saying that they needed to test the HV battery in my car so they sent a loaner and tool mine to the shop for some tests. Later they called again saying my battery needed to be sent to Cali. They installed a loaner battery and I am currently driving with it. No idea how long my battery will be there.

Apparently some connector parts needed to be replaced.

I never experienced any problems with the HV battery. I have driven close to 24,000 miles in almost 2 years and everything was perfect.

I must say that customer service is excellent as always.

- - - Updated - - -

I have vin 715 Sig. I got a call from the Dania Store saying that they needed to test the HV battery in my car so they sent a loaner and tool mine to the shop for some tests. Later they called again saying my battery needed to be sent to Cali. They installed a loaner battery and I am currently driving with it. No idea how long my battery will be there.

Apparently some connector parts needed to be replaced.

I never experienced any problems with the HV battery. I have driven close to 24,000 miles in almost 2 years and everything was perfect.

I must say that customer service is excellent as always.

Not a fan of this new battery inspection protocol. If and when my pack does fail I would prefer to never see it again. Don't want to deal with any of this loaner battery BS. If I get a call from my service advisor, he's gonna have to come up with a pretty darn compelling reason for me to take the car in.

Not a fan of this new battery inspection protocol. If and when my pack does fail I would prefer to never see it again. Don't want to deal with any of this loaner battery BS. If I get a call from my service advisor, he's gonna have to come up with a pretty darn compelling reason for me to take the car in.

Let's be honest, though. You never want to see your pack again because you are upset that you have an A battery revision and have made it clear that you want a completely new battery because you feel Tesla wronged you in some way. You've even offered others money to swap packs with you, even though there is absolutely nothing wrong or defective with your battery. When people say such absolute things, like you did above, I think it helps to understand the motivation.

My 12V battery failed twice before they knew it was the HV issue. They put a larger battery in my car (85 vs 60kWh). At first I thought it was an accident, but now I think it was just a loaner battery. They asked me to bring the car back in February so they could put a 60kWh back in. I have no idea if it was a new 60, or my refurbed original.

My 12V battery failed twice before they knew it was the HV issue. They put a larger battery in my car (85 vs 60kWh). At first I thought it was an accident, but now I think it was just a loaner battery. They asked me to bring the car back in February so they could put a 60kWh back in. I have no idea if it was a new 60, or my refurbed original.

"No, I'm fine, thanks" :biggrin:

Seems like someone should have mentioned you'd have an 85 temporarily.

As I reported in another thread, my S was using up the 12 V batteries. They traced it back to the main HV battery back, and what they said was a bad cell. Evidently when the car detects a bad cell, it does not charge the 12 V battery. Tesla was very responsive and took care of us - driving 2 hours on a Friday evening, dropping off a loaner, taking the car and replacing the main battery pack. I now have a B (rem) pack. Great service from the Tampa store (this was before the Orlando store opened).

I got the messages this morning - Car needs service and Car may not restart. Houston service center came and picked it up. They said the main battery had a short in it and they will replace it. I have 27k on my S with a B battery. VIN 57xx. I was getting 225 miles on 90% charge. I hope I get at least that amount on the replacement.

Oh no, did they say anything about battery improvements so that in another 27k miles, you won't have that issue? Also, is your car a late 2013 model? I think they started using the Revision B batteries then.

I got the messages this morning - Car needs service and Car may not restart. Houston service center came and picked it up. They said the main battery had a short in it and they will replace it. I have 27k on my S with a B battery. VIN 57xx. I was getting 225 miles on 90% charge. I hope I get at least that amount on the replacement.

I'm VIN 6313 and have had two HV pack failures. The original HV battery pack was replaced back in November at around 17K miles and again last month at around 29K miles. This second time went from a B pack to a D pack. I asked for explanation of the failure but was told that Fremont would analyze the pack but no details available.