Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High voltage battery replacement labor

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are posts that discuss replacement of the high voltage battery, and invoices from Tesla seem to show something like 11 hours of labor.

That seems like a *lot* of time to me. I imagined they could just get the car on a lift, drop the battery, slap the replacement in, and close it up. Maybe a few wires to deal with. Two hours tops.

Does anyone know why this process is so time intensive?

Unlike the S/X, where battery replacement was sort of 'expected' with grandiose but misguided plans of battery-swap stations, the 3/Y require significant chunks of the INTERIOR to be removed during battery replacement. 11 hours seems excessive even with that requirement.

There are posts that discuss replacement of the high voltage battery, and invoices from Tesla seem to show something like 11 hours of labor.

That seems like a *lot* of time to me. I imagined they could just get the car on a lift, drop the battery, slap the replacement in, and close it up. Maybe a few wires to deal with. Two hours tops.

I have no idea why, but have you looked at the thread where a company is converting a model 3 for track use at the 'Ring in Germany? They took the battery out so they could weld in a roll cage. It doesnt look like "drop / replace".

I have no idea why, but have you looked at the thread where a company is converting a model 3 for track use at the 'Ring in Germany? They took the battery out so they could weld in a roll cage. It doesnt look like "drop / replace".

Ahh... thanks for this. I *did* read that thread, but mostly a quick scan. I didn't recall anything specific about battery removal, but lo and behold they provide a video:

Indeed, it appears that battery removal is quite a job. I'm surprised Tesla didn't make this easier, but maybe they expect the car to outlast the battery in most cases.

Thanks again!

Reactions: jjrandorin
A long time ago, I remember a thread for a warranty replacement, and I thought the person who had the HV battery replaced said it was 25mins, but maybe I was reading about an S, and not a 3.

Ahh... thanks for this. I *did* read that thread, but mostly a quick scan. I didn't recall anything specific about battery removal, but lo and behold they provide a video:

Indeed, it appears that battery removal is quite a job. I'm surprised Tesla didn't make this easier, but maybe they expect the car to outlast the battery in most cases.
A repair shop would probably have a lifting table to put under the battery and lower it out of the raised car after removing everything holding it into the car. Obviously, some of the time and special tools needed to do the basic removal and replacement of an EV battery is because the EV battery is big and heavy.

However, from the video, it looks like six of the bolts holding the battery onto the car are removed and installed from the top, which requires removing some of the interior to get to them. There is also an issue of the officially-designated lifting points for the car being on the battery, so there need to be some lifting points on the car that are not on the battery. These factors can make removal and replacement of Model 3 battery take longer time than in an EV where all of the bolts holding it onto the car are on the bottom, and the car can be raised using lifting points that are not on the battery.

I am having my HV battery replaced for $9,255.50 in parts cost and officially 9-hours in labor.

Is it $175 an hour for labor? So $1575 labor would make the battery about $7700.

I read that posters post different than you do.

I am reading it as " I am having the battery replaced for a parts cost of 9,255 (probably including core charge of the original battery), and (In addition to) a charge of 9 hours for labor.

It appears you are reading it as the 9,255 cost is including labor, and I read the "and" there to mean that was the parts cost "and also" there is a charge for 9 hours of labor, so the battery cost is 9,255, not the total job cost is 9,255.

From the currently available Tesla Service manual.

16010101 HV Battery (Remove & Install) 3.55 Model 3
16010102 HV Battery (Remove & Replace) 4.45 Model 3
16010201 HV Battery (Dual Motor) (Remove & Install) (Add Coolant 1029320-00 if Needed) 3.25 Model 3
16010202 HV Battery (Dual Motor) (Remove & Replace) 4.55 Model 3

So dual motor R&R is 4.55 hours of book time.