TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High voltage battery replacement

Discussion in 'Model S: Battery & Charging' started by KL670, Nov 29, 2017.

1. KL670

KL670 Member

I was just told that my p85 high voltage battery needs to be replaced. Does that mean the actual battery pack? I hope it’s not too stupid of a question.

2. SSedan

SSedan Active Member

The specification of high voltage would seem to mean yes, there is a small 12volt battery as well which is a common wear item.

• Informative x 1
  3. Fusion

Fusion Member

What was the issue that they had to check your car to determine this? Just curious.

4. KL670

KL670 Member

My car was in the service center for some cosmetic work but they found a fault in the battery system and determined that the high voltage would have to be replaced.
    I guess I should be happy they’re repacking it?

5. scaesare

scaesare Well-Known Member

My 2013 B rev. pack had to be replaced. The reman D rev pack I received had slightly better range than my old.

I wouldn't sweat it.

• Like x 1
  6. KL670

KL670 Member

What difference have we noticed in terms of the different generations of batteries???

7. cassiri

cassiri Member

My P85DL is getting the battery pack replaced. I just heard that it will be a 90kwh pack. They say it will have more range but not more performance than my 85 pack. I guess that means still 1500amp not V2 battery with 1600amp? Would be nice to get more performance but better range isn’t bad. I asked about paying for a 100 pack but was told not possible as others have heard.

8. KL670

KL670 Member

Will yours be rebadged to P90D then? If they replace mine with a 90kwh battery, it’ll be funny situation with the rebadging since mine is an P85.

9. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

Yes, others have reported that they rebadge the car and update the configuration to show that it is a 90kWh car on the screen. Which I guess means your DMV registration information becomes out of date?

10. KL670

KL670 Member

And mine may become the unicorn of P90 :D

• Funny x 1
    • Love x 1
  11. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Based on the data on the degradation of the 90 packs, I would refuse a 90 if they tried to swap my 85 for one. You should demand either an 85 or a 100. With the 90 pack in two years you'll have less range than the 85 would have.

• Like x 6
  12. KL670

KL670 Member

Appreciate the advice. But honestly do I really have the right to demand an 85 or 100 pack? I’m sure they’d tell me they ran out of 85’s and could only upgrade me to a 90. Has anyone tried to demand a 100?

• Like x 1
  13. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Sure, you are entitled to an equal or better replacement. The 90 is clearly inferior. Although I suppose it depends on how long you're going to keep the car, if you're only going to keep it for a year or two the 90 might be better for you.

14. KL670

KL670 Member

Would you be so kind to direct me to some relevant threads that speak to the 90kwh battery problems? Thanks.

15. cassiri

cassiri Member

From what I have read on forums I thought the inferior batteries were the ones installed initially on 90 vehicles and that since that time the chemistry and other components had changed. I will certainly ask more questions when I pick up, but happy at least in the short term to get my car back with more range. If I “broke” an 85 battery in 2 years I will likely break a 90 again before the warranty is up?
    They did point out that performance would not be changed which is interesting.
    Given all that I doubt it will get rebadged.

16. jaguar36

jaguar36 Active Member

Sure its this post.

• Informative x 1
  17. agloutney

agloutney Member

Please let us know what you find out about the battery chemistry in the new 90s. I now have a unicorn 90 (nonP) with a September built 90 HV pack. I'll be watching degradation closely but it would be nice to have a larger sample size.

18. cassiri

cassiri Member

Haven't gotten my car back but just noticed that my Tesla app shows my car is now a P90DL, not a P85DL due to the battery change. I was told this would not be the case, but the app is clear. I assume they will change the trunk badge as well. I am kind of excited but have some mixed emotions since back when the P85D came out it was such a thing. Now things have moved on to P100D so the shine is off.

19. KL670

KL670 Member

So the car is still st the shop but when I checked my app, it now says my car is a 90, not a P90 or 90 D.
    Is there such a thing as a 90? I haven’t talked to the sc but I wonder how it affects my car’s performance.

20. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

There is now. :)

• Funny x 3