Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High voltage battery replacement

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a “90” (ex 85 non P version). I also know for a brief period you could order a “90” from the configurator but all P versions were P90D at that time so no P90. I have no idea if the “90” has P85 performance as I’ve yet to floor it since the battery swap. It’s getting cold here so testing the performance is moot.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
My theory as to why they are replacing 85 packs with 90s. Could it be they expect to replace a lot of 90 packs that have experienced heavy degradation? Why else would they produce a run of 90 packs which haven't been in production for about 8 months in new cars instead of rebuilding them like they did in 85s? My hunch is the 90 packs are flawed to a point where they can't be rebuilt. They must have rectified the issue that causes one of the modules to fail early in the 90 packs and are now mass producing them as replacement packs. Since very few 85s seem to have pack issues it only makes sense to put in a 90 pack as I understand rebuilding is labor intensive and costs a lot anyways. Besides it's my understanding there is very little difference physically between a 85 and 90 pack except for the battery chemistry which includes a bit of silicone in the 90. If this is the case I'm sure its much more efficient to produce only one type of battery cell. Glass half full here but I'm betting on the new 90 packs being pretty good. Again, that's just my guess. Time will tell.
Part number on the new 90 pack is 1088790-00-A if anyone is comparing or collecting data. Anything else anyone wants to know on the new pack, let me know.

• Helpful
Reactions: SmartElectric
I too just got a 1088790-00-A pack as a replacement for my 1074978-00-B in my P85DL. I like the extra range and power at 475kw is good for a P85DL. Time will tell how it holds up but given the 85 battery lasted just over 2 years, I’m glad there is still plenty of warranty time left. I have read something about B batteries being better than A. Is this true only for the same numbered batteries? I can’t imagine my New A battery isn’t as capable as my old B.

Below is the response I got from the SC after I asked if I could get an either 85 it 100 kWh pack:

“It may show as a 90kwh but that will be changing soon. There will be a firmware update to correct this. The battery that was installed in your car is a 90 kwh, but will be firmware down to 85 kwh. You will not notice any change in range or performance. We would not be able to install a 100 kwh pack into this vehicle. I will update you soon on your vehicle. Thanks”

Here's a little more data concerning the new 90 pack. I just drove 1000 miles in 24 hours and supercharged eight times yielding a pretty consistent peak power of 113kW and 100+kW until about 53% state of charge. I thought that was pretty quick but then again I don't do many road trips so that could be the normal speeds with a warm battery. Hopefully Tesla doesn't limit the number of times we can supercharge at that rate.

Here's a little more data concerning the new 90 pack. I just drove 1000 miles in 24 hours and supercharged eight times yielding a pretty consistent peak power of 113kW and 100+kW until about 53% state of charge. I thought that was pretty quick but then again I don't do many road trips so that could be the normal speeds with a warm battery. Hopefully Tesla doesn't limit the number of times we can supercharge at that rate.

Yes, the 90 kWh will start out charging faster than the 85 kWh. But the concern is that, over time, this functionality is reduced either because of excessive DCFC events or due to cell imbalance.

Yes, the 90 kWh will start out charging faster than the 85 kWh. But the concern is that, over time, this functionality is reduced either because of excessive DCFC events or due to cell imbalance.

Cell imbalances may be resolved by charging to 100% once a year, leaving your car at that level for approximately a half hour, then driving it. Hopefully that would help.

Cell imbalances may be resolved by charging to 100% once a year, leaving your car at that level for approximately a half hour, then driving it. Hopefully that would help.
There's some evidence that the internal resistance on some of the 90KWh chemistry cells deviates significantly enough that the ~100mA of current that the relatively small balancing resistors can sink isn't sufficient to keep the cells reasonably in balance during normal usage.

Correct, assuming the cells degrade evenly. But if one brick observes much greater capacity loss compared to the others then this will cause issues that the BMS balancing circuit cannot correct.

Reactions: scaesare
1088790-00-A pack as a replacement for my 1074978-00-B in my P85DL. I like the extra range and power at 475kw is good for a P85DL.

475 is higher than the previous p85dl peak which I think is 456.

That suggests that they didn't detune the 90 to 85 level and that is a true p90dl. Probably the 1600amp one? Can you tell.

Interesting upgrade path for current p85dls.

Hi hope you don't mind me asking in this of thread, seems to be the right topic...

I've supposedly had my 85 HV battery replaced with a new battery, however, I can't see any difference...

This is what the job card looks like, does this mean they simply took the battery out and checked it and out it back or does this mean it was replaced...

upload_2019-4-14_22-54-52.png

Thank you in advance (the dealer tells me it was replaced but I can't see/feel a difference)

Hi NorthEastUK,

The third item on your list is indeed the battery.
Many times Tesla picks up error codes in their software that tells them something is wrong with the battery.
It also could have been a "bad" batch of batteries.

I would not expect the car to drive or function any differently than before.
It will hopefully avoid a terrible, hard failure in the future...

Shawn

Reactions: NorthEastUk