Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High wattage wireless charging pad for Pixel 3 XL?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have a Taptes wireless charging pad in my car right now, problem is I have a Pixel 3 XL and it charges frustratingly slowly. If I'm running GPS or something on my phone, the wireless charger doesn't have enough juice to keep up, and my phone will slowly discharge even though it's charging.

Is anyone having better luck with the Pixel 3 on a different brand charging pad?

So apparently I'm experiencing a limitation of the Pixel phone's implementation of wireless charging.
Looks like I'm set up to get 10w charging from the Taptes side using the QC3.0 adapter,
but Google has some proprietary charging standard that locks it to 5w unless using Google's branded wireless charger. That sucks.
Did you try plugging your Pixel Charger inside your car?

There is a very accurate Android App 'Ampere'

You should do measurements at home and inside the car using Tapes and Google charger.

Note: I looked a some Qi wireless chargers and they don't offer all the the same speed and phones support:

$24 - icyber - iPhone X Wireless Charger
  • 10W fast charger for Samsung Galaxy S9+, S9, Note 8, S8, S8+, S7, S7 Edge, S6 Edge+, Note 5...
  • 7.5W fast charger Works with iPhone XS Max/XS/XR/X/8/8 Plus And
  • 5W for other qi enable devices.
$22 - KingYue - 15W Fast Wireless Charger
  • 15W fast wireless charging ONLY for LG V30+, Huawei Mate 20 Pro, Mate 20 RS, P30 Pro;
  • 10W FAST CHARGING MODES for Samsung Galaxy S10, S10 Plus, S10E, S9 Plus, S9, Note 9, Note 8, S8, S8 Plus, S7, S7 Edge, S6 Edge Plus, and Note 5;
  • 7.5W FAST CHARGING MODES for iPhone XS Max, iPhone XS, iPhone XR, iPhone X/8/8 Plus ;
  • 5W STANDARD CHARGING MODES for all other Qi-enabled Phones.
$50 - Taptes - Wireless Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3
  • Supports Fast Charging for iPhone and Samsung. Compatible with all iPhone and Android Qi wireless charging enabled phones, support charge two phones simultaneously with the maximum output of 10 watts for each side. To enable fast charging, a portable power bank will be needed.
$30 - Taptes - Wireless Charging Pad for Tesla Model 3
  • The normal charging speed is 5W Output(Restricted by the QI Agreement).
  • But TapTes Wireless Charger also works with other portable QC2.0 or QC3.0 power banks to enable fast charging, with QC2.0 or QC3.0 power input,
  • 7.5W wireless charging on iPhone,
  • 10W wireless charging on Android devices will be supported
  • Fast Charge is not supported on the Google Pixel/XL and Google Pixel 2/XL.
  • If want fast charging, we recommend you to buy a 9v power bank first.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: destructure00
I'm swapping back to the original plug-in setup that came with the car. Wife and I both have Pixel phones, and there's no good support for wireless charging in the car. Plugs with QC3.0 at least gets me enough to actually charge the phones instead of having them slowly drain.