TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

High Wh/MI for 5 minute drive. Over 600 at times. Anyone else have this issue?

Discussion in 'Model 3' started by steven415, Sep 15, 2018.

1. steven415

steven415 Member

2. Linkeds2

Linkeds2 Member

Do you have max ac or max heat on?

Check your tire pressures.

Turn regen braking to low and see if your coasting feels restricting (if possible).

You could have something binding on the drivetrain

3. fr100

fr100 Member

Do you park in the sun? Try turning off the A/C for a few drives and see how it performs.

4. kbecks13

kbecks13 Active Member

High consumption on a brief drive is totally normal for HVAC reasons like others have said.

What type of Model 3 is this? 280 is kinda high for a lifetime consumption (at least for a RWD). I think mine is more like 245 and i would say i drive spirited plus use lots of AC.

• Like x 1
  5. ebmcs03

ebmcs03 Active Member

It’s takes a lot of energy to get a car moving. So if your 5 min drive is all stop lights. It’ll be high useage.

6. Maximilien

Maximilien Member

First 5 min of driving will always be high Wh/m because you had to move the car from rest.

It is normal to get 400~1000 wh/mi during that time. Worse if you have AC or heater on.

Now if you get 1000 wh/mi after driving 20 min of relatively flat highway, then you got a problem.

• Informative x 1
  7. novox77

novox77 1.21 Gigawatts

Elevation could be a factor too. Anyhow, 0.9 miles is not enough distance for an efficiency rating to stabilize. a combination of elevation, HVAC use, and start/stop speed could easily account for this.