Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High winds & frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
A word of warning.

As there’s no secondary catch on your frunk be careful when opening in this breezy weather. I keep my charging leads in there, don’t be tempted to pop the lid from your screen. I’m up on the West coast atm, thought I’d accept Tesco / podpoint free juice. Stood in front of car & opened from the app, nearly lost the frunk lid in a gust of wind.
After this a thought occurred ie why doesn’t the frink have a secondary latch like bonnets on ICE cars? Surely it’s just a liable to pop open when driving🤔

Probably best in this stormy weather to park in such a way that the wind blows over the car from the back, rather than the front.
Bit difficult in a Tesco car park or any charge point really. You're stuck with the spaces available for charge port access. But in an ideal world yes you're right. Even the powered boot lid struggled when I chucked the cable in there. It is blowing 28m/s up here though (62MPH in old money). I believe the South has it worse.

So no use when you pop it then as apparently both release at once. There's something to be said for a nice metal hook that has to be operated by hand lol.
Yup, however it's locked across when the car is in drive, so it couldn't pop open on a motorway. I'm guessing here, but perhaps when there is storage that could contain a very small person the emergency release needs to operate when stationary.

Reactions: Xdama
Yup, however it's locked across when the car is in drive, so it couldn't pop open on a motorway. I'm guessing here, but perhaps when there is storage that could contain a very small person the emergency release needs to operate when stationary.
I reckon anyone small enough to fit in there could get to a mechanical latch assuming the internal button pops the primary release, but you could be right. I hadn't thought about that but then I don't often think about shoving people in my boot either:)

Fell victim to Storm Eunice. Stay at home they said. Should have heeded the advice. Gust yanked door from my grip swinging it wide open (stops did not work?!). PDR or new skin. Expensive lesson either way.

tempImagejLVchO.jpg

A word of warning.

As there’s no secondary catch on your frunk be careful when opening in this breezy weather. I keep my charging leads in there, don’t be tempted to pop the lid from your screen. I’m up on the West coast atm, thought I’d accept Tesco / podpoint free juice. Stood in front of car & opened from the app, nearly lost the frunk lid in a gust of wind.
After this a thought occurred ie why doesn’t the frink have a secondary latch like bonnets on ICE cars? Surely it’s just a liable to pop open when driving🤔

Thanks for this information....

I wonder if you could attach a quick release ROK-Strap to the front of the bonnet... and then the frunk base from inside...

So you can pop it open but then only lift it a couple of feet (length you decide) before the stretch ROK-Strap pulls tight? You can then unclip it manually to release.

I use ROK-Straps all the time to secure stuff to my motorcycles... really effective

Fell victim to Storm Eunice. Stay at home they said. Should have heeded the advice. Gust yanked door from my grip swinging it wide open (stops did not work?!). PDR or new skin. Expensive lesson either way.
Ouch. Sorry to see this.

Possibly too far for PDR, especially for aluminium, but worth asking someone with a good reputation in your area. Looks like the hinges, or the mounting, have been pulled out slightly too as the panel gaps look off and the door seems lower than the wing at the swage line (although that could just be as it was delivered as it's a Tesla ;))

Reactions: navt
Ouch. Sorry to see this.

Possibly too far for PDR, especially for aluminium, but worth asking someone with a good reputation in your area. Looks like the hinges, or the mounting, have been pulled out slightly too as the panel gaps look off and the door seems lower than the wing at the swage line (although that could just be as it was delivered as it's a Tesla ;))
I’m pretty sure hinges shifted on impact. Need to have a proper look when winds die down. Unawares door skin was aluminium.

Ouch. Did the door actually hit anything external to the car? If not, then perhaps that's a slim chance Tesla might fix it since the door design let this happen.

Ouch. Did the door actually hit anything external to the car? If not, then perhaps that's a slim chance Tesla might fix it since the door design let this happen.
It was a storm. Everyone was well warned. Some people chanced it and got away with it but others didn't. No car door can survive being blown back in a gale ... I'm afraid there's zero chance of Tesla covering this. This is why we have insurance.

Reactions: Durzel and init6
No. I’ve had a chance to properly inspect this and I am baffled. The hinges bear the weight of the door but there is a check strap that is designed to prevent the door from opening beyond its limit. The door did not make impact with anything. Paint is intact. Wing is intact. In fact fold does not line up with where wing might have made impact.

Maybe the check strap did indeed prevent the A pillar side of the door from exceeding its limit, however, the door steel frame itself likely isn't that strong it may have momentarily deflected in the wind, buckling the aluminum skin. It is likely beyond PDR repair given that is aluminum, and will have a reinforcing bar behind it possibly preventing access, but worth looking into. Does it still shut cleanly at the B pillar side?

Reactions: navt
Ouch. Sorry to see this.

It is 2019 Fremont car that counts as a well aligned panel by the standards of the day. (Even the dent might have passed PDI back then)

No. I’ve had a chance to properly inspect this and I am baffled. The hinges bear the weight of the door but there is a check strap that is designed to prevent the door from opening beyond its limit. The door did not make impact with anything. Paint is intact. Wing is intact. In fact fold does not line up with where wing might have made impact.

Oh wow.

So that dent was pulled in from the inside?

Or have I misunderstood.

Maybe the check strap did indeed prevent the A pillar side of the door from exceeding its limit, however, the door steel frame itself likely isn't that strong it may have momentarily deflected in the wind, buckling the aluminum skin. It is likely beyond PDR repair given that is aluminum, and will have a reinforcing bar behind it possibly preventing access, but worth looking into. Does it still shut cleanly at the B pillar side?
Nope. Now making contact with door striker and I can hear wind noise when driving. Trying to get Tesla to look at it but they insist it is a TBRC matter, even if re-alignment.