Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

High winds & frunk

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Oh wow.

So that dent was pulled in from the inside?

Or have I misunderstood.
You have understood correctly. I suspect the door skin is "glued" to the steel frame and that the check strap attaches to said frame. I hope I am mistaken otherwise this could be one very expensive repair. On the flip side good to see plenty of salvage parts available :)

You have understood correctly. I suspect the door skin is "glued" to the steel frame and that the check strap attaches to said frame. I hope I am mistaken otherwise this could be one very expensive repair. On the flip side good to see plenty of salvage parts available :)

I can't find any images or videos of anyone changing the check strap.

But the best image I could find of inside the door panel is at timestamp 6:05 to 6:07 inside this YouTube video, there does seem to be some structural steel frame support at this point:

• Informative
Reactions: navt
If you swing a door open as hard as you can on any car I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with damage afterwards. Because the door skins are aluminium there's a greater chance of deformation on these cars.

I wouldn't trust opening the bonnet at all in the winds we've just had, as it too is aluminium and a big surface area for the wind to catch. If you really must do it then you could either open it with a key fob or the app. Doing it from inside the car via the screen (boot or bonnet) would be ill advised.

Reactions: init6
I wouldn't trust opening the bonnet at all in the winds we've just had, as it too is aluminium and a big surface area for the wind to catch. If you really must do it then you could either open it with a key fob or the app. Doing it from inside the car via the screen (boot or bonnet) would be ill advised.
Unfortunately it becomes a necessity to open it if you have put your charging lead in there and are low on juice at a Tesco Podpoint untethered charger lol. I did also make the recommendation to open the bonnet whilst stood directly in front of it so you can catch the bugger before it flies :)

Unfortunately it becomes a necessity to open it if you have put your charging lead in there and are low on juice at a Tesco Podpoint untethered charger lol. I did also make the recommendation to open the bonnet whilst stood directly in front of it so you can catch the bugger before it flies :)
Yep ... recommend a 2 man job in such extreme conditions ... one to hold the lid and one to retreive items from within!

Reactions: Xdama and init6
Just after I collected my car in September 2020 I fitted those stronger bonnet gas struts that can open the bonnet fully when triggered open.
Lethal in strong winds if operated from control screen.
I've not actually tried to open the bonnet in strong winds but if I need to I can do it from right next to the bonnet with my fob so I can catch it on the way up.