Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher Milage used Tesla caveats?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

SteelClouds

Supporting Member
Nov 12, 2021
CA
Looking at a used M3 LR for 27K with 84K miles. Comestically, the car is in very good shape. It looks to have been a commuter car hence the higher miles. On ICE, that was high milage.. But the tesla seems to age differently. I'm not worried about the motor or battery. Its more about the struts, bushings and such. I rented a M3 with 70K on it and it still felt tight and no real rattles. Is that normal of for a higher milage Tesla? My current M3 only has 35K . The use case is to school and back plus work for my kid.. plus the weekend jaunts for 60 miles or so. THere will be some runs to Berkley from OC so thats 400 ish miles each way in the summer. Anything I should be paying attention to?

I'd expect suspension begins wearing out, so yes may want to replace struts, etc at some point. See how it behaves on rough roads and variety of turns.

Battery degradation or abuse would be my main concern, probably unlikely an issue, but if so potentially very costly. Really hard to know the status of this unless you have hours to test it.

Other thing is just test that it drives smooth and quiet at high speeds. Yes Tesla's are pretty reliable overall compared to an ICE vehicle.

Reactions: SteelClouds
What year is the used M3 you're looking at? The HV battery should still be under warranty for any M3.

The HV warranty on model 3s is 8 years OR 100k miles on a SR/SR+ (now rwd) model 3, or 120k for an Long Range / AWD / P one. There are some people who might be past the mileage now, especially since its been about 4 years since they went into mass production.