Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher mileage Model 3's chime in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I don't know how you get 236 Wh/mi. My LR AWD after 14k miles is at 278 Wh/mi and I baby the heck out of it.
For everyone who sees large variations in actual range vs EPA Rated Range I would like to make a few observations:
1. The EPA range results from an EPA-designated operational cycle. The link gives a little explanation:
explaining-electric-plug-hybrid-electric-vehicles
2. Actual range depends heavily on prevailing winds (my favorite example is Florida: driving Northbound usually has a 8-10% better fuel economy that driving Southbound, despite Florida's vary flat terrain. Why? The prevailing winds are out of the South so Northbound there is a tailwind, Southbound a tailwind. In ICE people tend not to notice but in BEV's we do. Before BEV's only sailboats and aircraft paid attention. Now we all should.
3. Hilly terrain dramatically reduces efficiency, even when the net altitude decreases doing a trip.
3. Type of road surface makes a big difference too.
4. Weather in every respect, not just wind, is a huge influence on economy with temperature and precipitation being the most obvious, apart from the aforementioned wind.
5. Driving consistency is a gigantic factor that can double or halve range. Long ago, Ford used to have complaints about mileage with their original 'compact car' the 1960 Falcon. A Ford dealer I knew then took a small can of fuel and had the complaining drivers drive with that small fuel supply. Invariably the complainants drove with less smoothness than did non-complainants. So, too, with a BEV that is obvious, with ICE not as much.
5. Of course the weight of passengers and baggage makes a big difference too.
All those factors.

A close friend of mine was the EPA's Director of the Truck and Bus Fuel Economy program a long time ago. It was back then a surprise to many fleet operators that all the factors that were standard to aircraft operation applied equally to road-going vehicles.

If range is a significant problem for an EV driver the solution to range anxiety is to apply all the same route planning procedures that are included in basic flight training. That might be a pain, but range surprises will largely disappear. Then be very conscious of driving habits.

If applicable, election consumption can drop 10% in no-wind conditions by drafting a larger vehicle at a safe range. That is best done on smooth roads if one wants to avoid rock chips and pitted windshields. It is also much less stressful on TACC or autopilot with the distance setting in position 2 or higher. As we know those settings are seconds not car lengths, so the distance increases with speed. When I do that I usually use position 2. If headwinds are a factor the gain can be much higher. If tailwinds usually it is about the 5-8%.

Many of us assume it is the car, and thing the rated range fluctuations reflect a problem. Remember the rated range is an algorithm, NOT fact. The calculations vary. If you choose charge level rather than range it will be less variable, but still remember that is NOT precise but is also an algorithm. Both of those are pretty reliable but are often not valid, statistically speaking. The thing that is both accurate and pretty accurate is the rate of charging and rate of discharging. There are so many variables that anecdotal evidence is not often relevant without a fair amount of data. That is one reason why so many tests and reports are not worth much in reality, but are often compelling reading anyway.

In order to prove the point I drove my P85D from Coral Gables, FL to Saint Augustine, FL on a single charge, a distance of 310 miles on a car with an EPA rated range. I drove all the way on I95 with a sign on the back of the car saying 'SLOW vehicle test' and drove on TACC at 45 mph the entire trip. I had a good tailwind all the way and left fully charged arriving with zero showing but just crawled to the level 2 charger where it stayed for two days. Of course that was in February 2015 so the temperature varied from 74F to 65F and the winds from the South were consistently at 6-10 kt with zero precipitation.

OK this is Too Much Information. What it tries to show is that range is pretty predictable.
To illustrate that, on my return from Saint Augustine to Coral Gables I had to stop at both Port St Lucie and West Palm Beach for charging, they were the only ones back then. I drove very fast, had a headwind, made more than a few launches.
Wh/Mi north 246
Wh/Mi South 373