Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher mileage Model 3's chime in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just crossed 40k miles with my M3, besides only charging to 270 miles @100%, I have no complaints and no issues, but I drive a lot and will probably hit 50k miles in the next six months or so. I am curious if those of you coming up on or cresting the limited warranty mark for your M3's are sticking with them or considering owning it out of the warranty period to be risky. The present charge capacity isn't ideal and ive exhausted all the pack balancing tricks known to man and still @ 270. which honestly is just a number and the car performs great otherwise. Thoughts?

Over 81k miles on my 2018 AWD non-P and other than standard maintenance items I really haven’t had any issues. Have put 2 sets of tires on it (second set was just a few weeks ago) and just changed the 12V battery out today after getting the warning last night. I supercharge a lot because of business travel and still get 290 miles on a full charge so I’m not sure why you would only get 270 at this point. YMMV I suppose.

I’m planning to keep this car until I hit 200k miles then sell it and buy a Model Y or Cybertruck. The company for which I work provides me with a vehicle plan called FAVR (Fixed and Variable Reimbursement) and 200k miles is the upper limit for participation in the plan, otherwise I might consider driving this car even longer. My 21 year old daughter has expressed interest in buying my car when I sell it and I’d love for that to happen so we can keep our first Tesla in the family.

We would expect to see a 5-10% variance between the 19” wheels and the 18” wheels with aero caps so the numbers being posted in this thread all sound about what I would expect at those mileage figures. 270 with 19” wheels after 40,000 miles is not all that bad. It would probably be around 290 if you switch to 18” wheels with Aeros.

Reactions: outdoors
I just crossed 40k miles with my M3, besides only charging to 270 miles @100%, I have no complaints and no issues, but I drive a lot and will probably hit 50k miles in the next six months or so. I am curious if those of you coming up on or cresting the limited warranty mark for your M3's are sticking with them or considering owning it out of the warranty period to be risky. The present charge capacity isn't ideal and ive exhausted all the pack balancing tricks known to man and still @ 270. which honestly is just a number and the car performs great otherwise. Thoughts?

Just curious: do you normally charge at 90% at home? Or 80%? Or a different amount?

Could it be the... way you drive? My June 2018 build LR RWD w/18" wheels, wo/aero caps, crossed 40K earlier this month. I 100% charge to 316 miles both at home and at superchargers. (For road trips only) I try to drive moderately in town and the speed limit on freeways.
BTY just back from a 4000 mile R/T Phoenix to Chicago. I'm hoping this will be my last car.
No. Recent update dropped my 90% SOC to 266-270. Others have stated this here as well. Before 2020.20.12 it was ~280 @ 90% and 310-320 @ 100%.

Over 81k miles on my 2018 AWD non-P and other than standard maintenance items I really haven’t had any issues. Have put 2 sets of tires on it (second set was just a few weeks ago) and just changed the 12V battery out today after getting the warning last night. I supercharge a lot because of business travel and still get 290 miles on a full charge so I’m not sure why you would only get 270 at this point. YMMV I suppose.

I’m planning to keep this car until I hit 200k miles then sell it and buy a Model Y or Cybertruck. The company for which I work provides me with a vehicle plan called FAVR (Fixed and Variable Reimbursement) and 200k miles is the upper limit for participation in the plan, otherwise I might consider driving this car even longer. My 21 year old daughter has expressed interest in buying my car when I sell it and I’d love for that to happen so we can keep our first Tesla in the family.
Same here - planning 200K. No front suspension issues? My 2020 is plagued by the 'axle click' and light front end clunk and it's only 13K miles in.

I have a March 2018 build LR RWD with 43,600 miles. I plan on keeping it maybe another 8-10 years. I don't really care about the warranty too much because I can do a lot of repairs by myself.

Only way I can see myself getting rid of the car before around 200k miles is if I total it, in which case a Cybertruck world replace it.

51k miles, Performance AWD Probably about 75% of charging is in Supercharger. Would be about 10-15k higher had COVID not hit.

Charges to 292 miles. Again large majority SC, daily to 90% when not SC.

Have bad many small issues and service appointments. 2 years later still fighting way bill issues.

But love the car.

Only major frustration is range. I wish they advertised it more realistically, but I knew I was never going to get rated. On a full 100% charge of 292, I average about 200-210 miles in summer, 170-190 in winter.

Had to drive 275 mile trip few weekends back. Left with 100% charge. Showed up early to destination with about 25% charge. SC to about 40%, just because I had a few min and SC was next to me. Drove arounddaround a bit and range was about 35%. Drove to SC 60 miles away, made it with 1 mile left.

That trip I was really disappointed. I knew I would need to stop once, but to have a car rated at 310 miles and have to stop twice to charge to go 275 miles (could have been once in fairness, but would have been a longer charge) and to have huge range anxiety with 1 mile left after driving 60 miles with 35% stated range when I left was a surprise and disappointing...

51k miles, Performance AWD Probably about 75% of charging is in Supercharger. Would be about 10-15k higher had COVID not hit.

Charges to 292 miles. Again large majority SC, daily to 90% when not SC.

Have bad many small issues and service appointments. 2 years later still fighting way bill issues.

But love the car.

Only major frustration is range. I wish they advertised it more realistically, but I knew I was never going to get rated. On a full 100% charge of 292, I average about 200-210 miles in summer, 170-190 in winter.

Had to drive 275 mile trip few weekends back. Left with 100% charge. Showed up early to destination with about 25% charge. SC to about 40%, just because I had a few min and SC was next to me. Drove arounddaround a bit and range was about 35%. Drove to SC 60 miles away, made it with 1 mile left.

That trip I was really disappointed. I knew I would need to stop once, but to have a car rated at 310 miles and have to stop twice to charge to go 275 miles (could have been once in fairness, but would have been a longer charge) and to have huge range anxiety with 1 mile left after driving 60 miles with 35% stated range when I left was a surprise and disappointing...
Hello Nate, what’s your average speeds on that last trip.

Fred

Reactions: hellocar