Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher mileage Model 3's chime in

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
51k miles, Performance AWD Probably about 75% of charging is in Supercharger. Would be about 10-15k higher had COVID not hit.

Charges to 292 miles. Again large majority SC, daily to 90% when not SC.

Have bad many small issues and service appointments. 2 years later still fighting way bill issues.

But love the car.

Only major frustration is range. I wish they advertised it more realistically, but I knew I was never going to get rated. On a full 100% charge of 292, I average about 200-210 miles in summer, 170-190 in winter.

Had to drive 275 mile trip few weekends back. Left with 100% charge. Showed up early to destination with about 25% charge. SC to about 40%, just because I had a few min and SC was next to me. Drove arounddaround a bit and range was about 35%. Drove to SC 60 miles away, made it with 1 mile left.

That trip I was really disappointed. I knew I would need to stop once, but to have a car rated at 310 miles and have to stop twice to charge to go 275 miles (could have been once in fairness, but would have been a longer charge) and to have huge range anxiety with 1 mile left after driving 60 miles with 35% stated range when I left was a surprise and disappointing...

Re your recent trip, if you had 35% that’s basically 100 miles of range. You drove 60 miles and barely made it, and I’m trying to figure that one out. You said a few weeks ago so I assume it was warm therefore weather was not a significant factor. Did you drive 60 miles at a 7% incline the entire time, or maybe drive 90 mph the whole way? Otherwise I’m struggling to figure out how your efficiency could have been that bad. Having made many, MANY, long trips in my Model 3 I am very familiar with the range limitations and would have no problem making a 60 mile trip with 100 miles of range showing. I would start out at 60 mph and once I got close enough that I knew there would be no issue I would increase to speed limit plus 5 mph (likely 75). The metric I normally use in that case is when rated range equals double the range to the next SC then I increase my speed. I have pulled into a SC with as low as 14 miles remaining, that’s the lowest for me over 81k miles.

2019 LR RWD, 16k miles. Daily charged to 65%, but it stays at 50% these days.

Estimated range will be ... a range.

Here's mine:

I don't drive often anymore, so the latest numbers are less granular than earlier.

Capture.PNG

Last edited:
Re your recent trip, if you had 35% that’s basically 100 miles of range. You drove 60 miles and barely made it, and I’m trying to figure that one out. You said a few weeks ago so I assume it was warm therefore weather was not a significant factor. Did you drive 60 miles at a 7% incline the entire time, or maybe drive 90 mph the whole way? Otherwise I’m struggling to figure out how your efficiency could have been that bad. Having made many, MANY, long trips in my Model 3 I am very familiar with the range limitations and would have no problem making a 60 mile trip with 100 miles of range showing. I would start out at 60 mph and once I got close enough that I knew there would be no issue I would increase to speed limit plus 5 mph (likely 75). The metric I normally use in that case is when rated range equals double the range to the next SC then I increase my speed. I have pulled into a SC with as low as 14 miles remaining, that’s the lowest for me over 81k miles.

Alright I pulled TeslaFi. 108 miles rated, went 70. I was up north and did have some mountain grading, but had downhill on other side. And temp rose a bunch during trip (was 60 at end of it, 46 average though) I don't think I had heat run much at all. Average speed about 65. Gained 3100 feet, loss 3300 feet.

20200702_080239.jpg

And the longer drive there (much warmer 65 degrees, still cold day though). Average speed about the same. 4700 gain in elevation, 4400 loss, so more hilly.

20200702_080535.jpg

Again, I don't complain about the range as I knew it would be less, but I would love a 400 mile rated 3.

I live in the 60-70% efficiency most of the time. My rule in summer is take % x 2 (assumes about 65% efficiency) is the range. Winter is take miles and divide by 2 (assumes about 50% efficiency).

I just crossed 40k miles with my M3, besides only charging to 270 miles @100%, I have no complaints and no issues, but I drive a lot and will probably hit 50k miles in the next six months or so. I am curious if those of you coming up on or cresting the limited warranty mark for your M3's are sticking with them or considering owning it out of the warranty period to be risky. The present charge capacity isn't ideal and ive exhausted all the pack balancing tricks known to man and still @ 270. which honestly is just a number and the car performs great otherwise. Thoughts?

270 at 100% SOC vs. the original 310 at 100% SOC is unacceptable... especially when you tried balancing system etc and did a few 100% charge and drive it back down to 2%... that's nearly 13% range loss... in 2 yrs...

• Informative
Reactions: austinmichaeld
51k miles, Performance AWD Probably about 75% of charging is in Supercharger. Would be about 10-15k higher had COVID not hit.

Charges to 292 miles. Again large majority SC, daily to 90% when not SC.

Have bad many small issues and service appointments. 2 years later still fighting way bill issues.

But love the car.

Only major frustration is range. I wish they advertised it more realistically, but I knew I was never going to get rated. On a full 100% charge of 292, I average about 200-210 miles in summer, 170-190 in winter.

Had to drive 275 mile trip few weekends back. Left with 100% charge. Showed up early to destination with about 25% charge. SC to about 40%, just because I had a few min and SC was next to me. Drove arounddaround a bit and range was about 35%. Drove to SC 60 miles away, made it with 1 mile left.

That trip I was really disappointed. I knew I would need to stop once, but to have a car rated at 310 miles and have to stop twice to charge to go 275 miles (could have been once in fairness, but would have been a longer charge) and to have huge range anxiety with 1 mile left after driving 60 miles with 35% stated range when I left was a surprise and disappointing...

What tire pressure are you running? Have you tried 49 PSI?

Then I have this....

Drive there, averaged 53 mph and temp was 69 degrees. Gained 3200 feet loss 2600. 72% efficiency.

Drive back, 89 degrees, average 50 mph gained 2400 miles, loss 2900. 92% efficiency (haven't seen that good in some time!)

Obviously there was a difference in elevation.

20200702_184235.jpg

I'm awakening this thread as hopefully more people are able to drive as of late.

My July 2019 Model 3 SR+ came with 236mi @ 100%... now at ~218mi @ 100% (30,054mi) see the pictures below. 236 Wh/mi which isn't too bad. Bought it in Colorado (lived in Colorado Springs for 6mo then moved to Las Vegas, NV). I use the heat and the A/C, daily drive is ~60mi round trip and 95% of that is highway doing 75mph with everyone else. I daily charge to 70% and have hit SuperChargers when needed.

I'm not mad mostly because we have the wife's June 2020 Model Y!

Attachments

• IMG_0348.png
    IMG_0348.png
    615.2 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0315.png
    IMG_0315.png
    469.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0316.png
    IMG_0316.png
    437.5 KB · Views: 41
  • Screenshot (7).png
    Screenshot (7).png
    201.4 KB · Views: 40
My 2018 LRD has 49K miles and I have used Superchargers for about 50% of my miles driven. My full charge now indicates 98% and 297 miles, with lifetime efficiency of 289Wh/mi.
Vehicle when new displayed 308 miles and has never been this high again (even after OTA updates)
My previous full charge miles indicated was about 292 but improved after some full charge/discharge cycles.

Last edited:
My 2018 Performance just ticked over 66k. Battery was showing 255-260 at 90% charge a couple months ago but now showing about 240-243 when I 90% charge.

Granted I take it to the track a few times a year, I don't hammer on it daily. Its seen about 10-20% of its miles supercharged so far.

I'm awakening this thread as hopefully more people are able to drive as of late.

My July 2019 Model 3 SR+ came with 236mi @ 100%... now at ~218mi @ 100% (30,054mi) see the pictures below. 236 Wh/mi which isn't too bad. Bought it in Colorado (lived in Colorado Springs for 6mo then moved to Las Vegas, NV). I use the heat and the A/C, daily drive is ~60mi round trip and 95% of that is highway doing 75mph with everyone else. I daily charge to 70% and have hit SuperChargers when needed.

I don't know how you get 236 Wh/mi. My LR AWD after 14k miles is at 278 Wh/mi and I baby the heck out of it.

M3 LR, aero delivered July 2018.

70,100 miles, desert climate.

Full charge is about 280 (started at 311). Vast majority of charging is at home, usually to 90%

Have changed tires twice (at 24K and 68K miles), 12V battery replaced last summer ($124 out of warranty). Might do sway bar links soon. No other issues.

This is exactly where my August 2019 M3 SR+ started and is at right now in terms miles at SOC. I am only at 17,000 miles though and have lifetime 240 Wh/mile. Got a 70 mile RT drive to work 2-3 days a week. Still love the car and have plenty of superchargers up and down the I-95 corridor for road trips. Don't regret one bit (yet...;)).

I have a feeling there was a batch of batteries in the mid to late 2019 M3s that are just degrading at the same rate. Hoping my car has leveled out and will still at the ~218 I have now for awhile.

Reactions: Matsayz
I don't know how you get 236 Wh/mi. My LR AWD after 14k miles is at 278 Wh/mi and I baby the heck out of it.
Dunno. Here in Vegas I'm on the highway for 95% of my drive to and from work (60mi round trip) and while on the highway I'm always on AutoPilot so maybe that's why? We usually take my car when running errands just cuz the wife doesn't like to drive as much as I do so running around town is flat surface streets. Being an SR+ it doesn't have ALL the torques!... And I'm still on the OEM tires so there's not enough grip to drag race all the Mustangs/Chargers, just most of them ha!