Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher price on Model S 60

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
According to the same source that share information about powerwall 2.0 before the event tesla is planing to higher the price on the base model of Model S with $2000 by November 22. Why they will do that isn't shared thought so we could only guess. Here is some of my thoughts.

- only to make up some of the losses with delivering cars with 75 kWh battery
- to financing the new autopilot hardware(but why not higher the price on all models?)
- higher the battery capacity and maybe even drop the price on the 75 kWh battery so it be like Model X there 75 is the smallest battery.

What are your theories?

Tesla is increasing the base price of the Model S by $2,000, source says

I think it's quite funny that when I ordered my S60 two years ago, it was seen as a bit of a pariah - hardly anybody bought it, opting for the 85 instead

In fact, it was in such low demand that my timeline from ordering to delivery was around three months!

Personally, I think the 60 has always been the 'hidden gem' bargain - and the best car I've ever owned

Maybe too, once again, Drive Model 3 sales? As they are getting closer it may be that he wants to go ahead and push things that way. There's been a rumor that the design studio for Model 3 will open soon.
Why would they want to have more Model lll orders? They have more reservations then they can handle for long time and they can make more profit on Model S then Model lll, if there is one thing they schould do it's lower the price on Model S so that more people go from Model lll to Model S.

Reactions: RogerHScott
Why would they want to have more Model lll orders? They have more reservations then they can handle for long time and they can make more profit on Model S then Model lll, if there is one thing they schould do it's lower the price on Model S so that more people go from Model lll to Model S.

Money is not now, nor has it ever been, Elon Musk's goal. Understand this is a religion to him! He truly believes in what he's doing. The model 3 fills his dreams night and day. Besides, if they can get people to put a little more money down they can achieve the same results as they would with more S and X sales. And remember, he expects to sell millions of these a year. It'll be way more money than the S and X could ever generate. More importantly, it'll be much better for the environment than the high-end models will ever be able to contribute. Elon Musk is a businessman only to achieve his goals. Making money is simply not one of them (except as doing so contributes to the goal). At least that's my thoughts.

• Helpful
Reactions: tonglaji
Maybe the base 60 will become a true 60 battery with no upgrade capability, and price stays same as 60 today.

And they will continue to offer the upgradeable 60 that can be increased after the sale to a 75, but this 60 will be $2000 more than today's price.

And the upgrade later price delta to 75 does is reduced by $1000 from what it costs today.

Money is not now, nor has it ever been, Elon Musk's goal. Understand this is a religion to him! He truly believes in what he's doing. The model 3 fills his dreams night and day. Besides, if they can get people to put a little more money down they can achieve the same results as they would with more S and X sales. And remember, he expects to sell millions of these a year. It'll be way more money than the S and X could ever generate. More importantly, it'll be much better for the environment than the high-end models will ever be able to contribute. Elon Musk is a businessman only to achieve his goals. Making money is simply not one of them (except as doing so contributes to the goal). At least that's my thoughts.

So your point is that Elon wants to make money, except that the money is to contribute to his goals rather than to keep it in the bank. Given Elon's goals such as Mars colonization, Elon's goal must be to make trillions at least.

• Funny
Reactions: henderrj
Ok. First of all, this is a rumour. A rumour from a supposedly reliable source, but rumour nonetheless.

Secondly, whenever Tesla in the past increased the price in the past, it's always accompanied an increase in features.

Let the speculation continue.

Reactions: SΞXY P100D
I think it's quite funny that when I ordered my S60 two years ago, it was seen as a bit of a pariah - hardly anybody bought it, opting for the 85 instead

In fact, it was in such low demand that my timeline from ordering to delivery was around three months!

Personally, I think the 60 has always been the 'hidden gem' bargain - and the best car I've ever owned
I totally agree. In hindsight I would have got a 40 kWh if I had only known, at the time, what an awesome car the S would turn out to be. I'm definitely skeptical about Tesla's reason for canceling the 40. I think it was probably a good business decision, but I don't think it was about lack of demand.

Secondly, whenever Tesla in the past increased the price in the past, it's always accompanied an increase in features.
Since you said "always" so even one counterexample is required to disprove your statement false. Rear facing seats increased price, now $4000

There have been other price increases without improvements before for example pano roof or premium audio in 2013 - different price every month. Then there were "bundling" increases, where technically the price didn't go up but you had to buy options in bundles, so unless you were getting all the features anyways, you had to pay more.