TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Higher price on Model S 60

Discussion in 'Model S' started by vigge50, Nov 3, 2016.

1. vigge50

vigge50 Member

According to the same source that share information about powerwall 2.0 before the event tesla is planing to higher the price on the base model of Model S with $2000 by November 22. Why they will do that isn't shared thought so we could only guess. Here is some of my thoughts.

- only to make up some of the losses with delivering cars with 75 kWh battery
    - to financing the new autopilot hardware(but why not higher the price on all models?)
    - higher the battery capacity and maybe even drop the price on the 75 kWh battery so it be like Model X there 75 is the smallest battery.

What are your theories?

Tesla is increasing the base price of the Model S by $2,000, source says

2. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

Supply. Demand.

• Informative x 1
  3. hingisfan

hingisfan hingisfan_Mark_V

60 too good of a deal. . . Not many ordering the 75 instead.

• Like x 2
  4. vigge50

vigge50 Member

If you order a new car now in USA the design studio says that you will get in December, i wouldn't see that as they have much higher demand then production.

5. vigge50

vigge50 Member

That could indeed be the answer, tesla though it could help them a little but then to many order 60 kWh battery and now they don't get as much as they want for the extra 15 kWh battery they deliver.

6. Claypigeon

Claypigeon Software Developer; Ironman; Model 3

Speaking of demand, it would be interesting to know if orders went up noticeably after the gas line explosion in the southeast.

7. henderrj

henderrj Member

Maybe too, once again, Drive Model 3 sales? As they are getting closer it may be that he wants to go ahead and push things that way. There's been a rumor that the design studio for Model 3 will open soon.

8. richrootes

richrootes Member

I think it's quite funny that when I ordered my S60 two years ago, it was seen as a bit of a pariah - hardly anybody bought it, opting for the 85 instead

In fact, it was in such low demand that my timeline from ordering to delivery was around three months!

Personally, I think the 60 has always been the 'hidden gem' bargain - and the best car I've ever owned

• Like x 6
  9. vigge50

vigge50 Member

Why would they want to have more Model lll orders? They have more reservations then they can handle for long time and they can make more profit on Model S then Model lll, if there is one thing they schould do it's lower the price on Model S so that more people go from Model lll to Model S.

• Like x 1
  10. johnzhang22

johnzhang22 Member

So does this mean it's going to be $2000 cheaper to upgrade to the 75 kwh battery? The article did say that the price increase will only effect the base model.

11. ggnykk

ggnykk Active Member

it is quite evident even in the last quarter that like 70% of all Model S order is the 60 kwh model. It simply is way too much demand for the 60. They want to balance out the order composition I bet.

• Disagree x 1
  12. henderrj

henderrj Member

Money is not now, nor has it ever been, Elon Musk's goal. Understand this is a religion to him! He truly believes in what he's doing. The model 3 fills his dreams night and day. Besides, if they can get people to put a little more money down they can achieve the same results as they would with more S and X sales. And remember, he expects to sell millions of these a year. It'll be way more money than the S and X could ever generate. More importantly, it'll be much better for the environment than the high-end models will ever be able to contribute. Elon Musk is a businessman only to achieve his goals. Making money is simply not one of them (except as doing so contributes to the goal). At least that's my thoughts.

• Helpful x 1
  13. jimmyjohn

jimmyjohn Member

I agree!

14. scottm

scottm Active Member

Maybe the base 60 will become a true 60 battery with no upgrade capability, and price stays same as 60 today.

And they will continue to offer the upgradeable 60 that can be increased after the sale to a 75, but this 60 will be $2000 more than today's price.

And the upgrade later price delta to 75 does is reduced by $1000 from what it costs today.

15. nagdingbrob

nagdingbrob New Member

I'm guessing it's since they're introducing the HUD / new dashboard soon.

16. ecarfan

ecarfan Well-Known Member

I would like to see you provide a credible source to support that statement, because I don't believe it is even close to the truth.

Or you can just admit you're making stuff up...

• Like x 1
  17. whitex

whitex Active Member

So your point is that Elon wants to make money, except that the money is to contribute to his goals rather than to keep it in the bank. Given Elon's goals such as Mars colonization, Elon's goal must be to make trillions at least.

• Funny x 1
  18. S'toon

S'toon Knows where his towel is

Ok. First of all, this is a rumour. A rumour from a supposedly reliable source, but rumour nonetheless.

Secondly, whenever Tesla in the past increased the price in the past, it's always accompanied an increase in features.

Let the speculation continue.

• Like x 1
  19. ⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️

⚡️ELECTROMAN⚡️ Fritterer and waster of hours in an off hand wayer

I totally agree. In hindsight I would have got a 40 kWh if I had only known, at the time, what an awesome car the S would turn out to be. I'm definitely skeptical about Tesla's reason for canceling the 40. I think it was probably a good business decision, but I don't think it was about lack of demand.

20. whitex

whitex Active Member

Since you said "always" so even one counterexample is required to disprove your statement false. Rear facing seats increased price, now $4000

There have been other price increases without improvements before for example pano roof or premium audio in 2013 - different price every month. Then there were "bundling" increases, where technically the price didn't go up but you had to buy options in bundles, so unless you were getting all the features anyways, you had to pay more.