Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Depends on how you look at it. As someone that was looking to replace my current diesel leased motor at the end of year, I was literally at the limit of affordability for the M3 SR+, so the grant just made it achievable. Sadly, now it might be back to the drawing board unless Tesla drop the price.
I wonder how long the grants for home chargers will last now too?
I guess you will probably have to make do with an iD3 then.

if you can afford to spend £50k on a car, why should you get any money from the Government?
To be fair I was going to buy an ICE car last November until someone told me all about the grants etc I could get. So for the same reason people buy things in sales they wouldn't have bought if they didn't think they were saving things, I've switched to EV. I think if I'd waited another year and the incentives weren't there I would have waited until I had no choice, because I'd heard of range anxiety, lack of charge points, batteries failing after a few years and all the horror stories. It was only because of the grants, low BIK I decided to investigate it more. So in some cases it will reduce up take and in a few years time the decision to stay EV or go back to ICE for the last few years won't be such an easy decision.

• Helpful
Reactions: UkNorthampton
To be fair I was going to buy an ICE car last November until someone told me all about the grants etc I could get. So for the same reason people buy things in sales they wouldn't have bought if they didn't think they were saving things, I've switched to EV. I think if I'd waited another year and the incentives weren't there I would have waited until I had no choice, because I'd heard of range anxiety, lack of charge points, batteries failing after a few years and all the horror stories. It was only because of the grants, low BIK I decided to investigate it more. So in some cases it will reduce up take and in a few years time the decision to stay EV or go back to ICE for the last few years won't be such an easy decision.
That's fair enough, but how much are you getting from the low BIK vs an ICE? It was 0% last year and is only 1% this year. That's huge.

I think at a certain point one has to wonder just how much do you expect to save, and is that number realistic when ultimately it's the general public paying for it, one way or another.

I think you need to appreciate that there are a lot of people out here whose affordability is just about reached with the grant in place. If not for the grant, their plan to buy is out of the window.

Yup, there will definitely be some losers from this. I think it's disingenuous of the Govt to announce this completely out of the blue, after they have maintained the fuel duty freeze for the past 10 odd years.

Reactions: Mperkins28
Are grants for EVs a higher priority than the NHS, affordable housing, education, or even police or defence?
A reductive argument that well quickly end up with us down a well. It's just whataboutery that's too easy to counter with more whataboutery aviation subsidies, nuclear weapons; taxing corporations fairly, <insert your favourite hobby horse here>. Gets us nowhere.

Apparently the Tesla site has NOT been updated as yet to reflect this change.
There seem to be mixed messages about this. When I checked a couple of days ago, the PiCG was mentioned when looking at the cost breakdown.
FAC8B0D7-7D69-4814-AE5F-471F2999F065.jpeg

No actually, the rep on the call said their IT team was on it to update the prices. So any new orders placed today will get updated email saying their prices has increased. At least this is what I was told from the rep on the call.
Yes that is my understanding too. If you have an order in prior to 10am today (18/3/21) then the order agreement price stands.

I guess Tesla are busy deciding how to respond to this change either by absorbing the grant loss or by raising prices. Wouldn't it be nice if the SR+ dropped to £35k!!

Reactions: Mperkins28
Someone on another forum I'm on posted a screenshot of the Tesla website showing the prices as follows:

SR+: £42,500
LR: £49,000
P: £59,000

I've not be able to confirm it myself, as every browser I've tried shows the "old" pricing, but there has been more than one account of people phoning Tesla to make sure their order is locked in, and being told that the prices are in the process of being changed, and will be effective on any order placed from 7am today, regardless of what the website says (i.e. order agreements will be updated).

Reactions: MrTT