Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Higher value EVs not eligible for £3,000 PiCG (grant) anymore!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I ordered mine at 9am and then received a message at 12 to say the grant had been pulled for anyone who ordered after 7am.
I have been planning the order for 2 years so unbelievably bad timing.
Any advice from anyone?
Did they email you back? Would you be able to show us here (obviously after masking any sensitive info) so it puts our mind at ease, because I emailed them to ask about my car I ordered last night but havent received any replies yet.

Its a conspiracy by Tesla to get people to buy up all the Q1 inventory cars 😈 ;)

Oh, yes, almost forgot, but no one seems to have mentioned anywhere. Tesla can and do change their pricing at will without warning. We are long overdue an FSD one and their latest price rises don't seem to have filtered through yet.

Last edited:
  • Disagree
Reactions: Yachtsman
I think people are jumping the gun a bit.

The cost for people to buy a Tesla has not changed. It is the same as it was yesterday, and for the past however many weeks since the last price hike.

It was £40,490 (SR+) or £46,990 (LR) yesterday, and it still is today. There is rumblings about the price maybe changing but it hasn't happened yet and they're taking their sweet time doing it if they're going to.

The only difference between yesterday and today - is that Tesla are swallowing the £3,000 loss from no longer being able to register the cars on the Government portal, to claim the grant. Customers never saw that money, and it was baked into the price displayed on the website. If you had an order agreement/final invoice for a SR+ or LR it would've said the cars cost £43,490 and £49,990 respectively, before the grant.

So - it shouldn't affect leases, at least not for Teslas.

EDIT: Obviously if Tesla bump up the prices between now and tomorrow, then it'll be clear that they aren't happy to eat that loss!

Just Fantastic, Was looking at purchasing a Model 3 Sr through our LTD company, (Had just convinced the Financial Controller) after the 1st of April based on the info from our accountant that the car would be included under the super deduction tax, Was also going to use the Scottish £28K interest-free loan but that too looks to have been pulled or also under review. Well looks like the test drive I was going to book for when restrictions are eased will now be put on hold permanently.

I Will have to sit tight for a couple of weeks and see what happens in April

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
I think people are jumping the gun a bit.

The cost for people to buy a Tesla has not changed. It is the same as it was yesterday, and for the past however many weeks since the last price hike.

It was £40,490 (SR+) or £46,990 (LR) yesterday, and it still is today. There is rumblings about the price maybe changing but it hasn't happened yet and they're taking their sweet time doing it if they're going to.

The only difference between yesterday and today - is that Tesla are swallowing the £3,000 loss from no longer being able to register the cars on the Government portal, to claim the grant. Customers never saw that money, and it was baked into the price displayed on the website. If you had an order agreement/final invoice for a SR+ or LR it would've said the cars cost £43,490 and £49,990 respectively, before the grant.

So - it shouldn't affect leases, at least not for Teslas.

EDIT: Obviously if Tesla bump up the prices between now and tomorrow, then it'll be clear that they aren't happy to eat that loss!
Clicking on more info on the place order page says price includes the grants, even though they have removed the reference to it everywhere else

Just Fantastic, Was looking at purchasing a Model 3 Sr through our LTD company, (Had just convinced the Financial Controller) after the 1st of April based on the info from our accountant that the car would be included under the super deduction tax, Was also going to use the Scottish £28K interest-free loan but that too looks to have been pulled or also under review. Well looks like the test drive I was going to book for when restrictions are eased will now be put on hold permanently.

Might want to ask the accountant to check that....

Screen Shot 03-18-21 at 03.55 PM.PNG

Cars specifically excluded.

Reactions: Durzel

The Super Deduction looks to only be applied to Plant Equipment? Company Cars are outside of this realm. So I'm interested in what your company accountant has been quoting

• Informative
Reactions: UkNorthampton
The Super Deduction looks to only be applied to Plant Equipment? Company Cars are outside of this realm. So I'm interested in what your company accountant has been quoting
Im waiting until April for clarification from the accountant but this Accountancy web page says EV count

if you can afford to spend £50k on a car, why should you get any money from the Government? Chances are you are/were going to buy the car anyway so that grant is just free money. For regular folk the grant could be the tipping point between choosing one car over another.

I was grateful when I got the £3,500 grant for my M3P last year (just under the wire), but I would've bought it anyway tbh.

I think the grant is about getting people generally into EVs, not into Teslas or Taycans or whatever. If there's more money to go around to those people - then we all ultimately benefit in the long run, environmentally and also because demand will increase for charging infrastructure, etc.
When I choose to spend my money on a very expensive purchase because it's the environmentally right thing to do, and give the government many, many thousands for the privilege I don't think viewing it as them "giving me money" - they end up with much more money if I buy a Telsa than if I don't. Even were I to buy a different new combustion car (I wouldn't) then it'd be way, way cheaper and they'd have less money.

Honestly, this isn't the most expensive bit of the EV incentives for the government, that's the BIK rate on company cars. That bit is also only available to the few people who happen to work in places that support it, and disproportionately benefits those who earn more money. The £3k bit was the least unfair part of the EV schemes as things stood.