TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Highest milage on a Roadster?

Discussion in 'Roadster: Performance' started by ffylling, Dec 14, 2012.

1. ffylling

ffylling Member

Can anyone confirm what is the highest milage on a Roadster so far, on original battery pack?

it would be grate to know how long it has driven, what kind of "problems" and the condition of the battery?

2. dj905

dj905 Member

I have 58,000 km (36,000 miles) on my roadster 2.0, purchased in May, 2010. No problems with the battery (original). I am now getting 285km on a standard charge, and do Range charges about 5 times per year.

I think that my roadster may have the highest mileage in Canada (but we have a small community here).

Regards,

David

3. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

4. samcarney

samcarney Sam C

I've had my Roadster 2.0 since August 2009. 32k miles. I get between 178 - 170 miles on a standard charge. I also Range charge 5-6 times a year.

At 3k miles I had a minor internal problem with the battery. Chicago area did not have the facilities to repair the battery so I got a replacement (new I think/hope).
    I replaced the PEM fan at 31k aside from that no problems.

5. saprolf

saprolf Member

Got 42k miles and get now 168 - 170 miles on a 90% charge. Pretty good for this amount of driving. Have not lost charge miles since 1/2 year yet.

6. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

Some good data points to add:

-When your Roadster was built and hit the road
    -If your roadster is a 1.5, 2.0, or 2.5, or a 2.5 sport
    -Your driving and charge habits
    -Has your Roadster be been sitting idle / in storage and not driven for any long period of time
    -Typical ambient temps the Roadster is driven in

This should help others out and give us more insight in on the battery life and conditions.

7. vfx

vfx Well-Known Member

1.5 with 51K.

8. Doug_G

Doug_G Lead Moderator

For comparison purposes, mine is a 2.0 with 32k kms (20k miles), coming up on three years old. Standard mode charge comes in around 285 km (178 miles).

9. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I have been told that he always charged using 380 V voltage. I think that if he had always charged with lower voltages (220 V, 110 V) he would have got even more miles.

10. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

#10 wiztecy, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
    1.5 Roadster - on the road since apr'09.
    Sat for 2+ years at menlo park with 3,800 miles.

Roadster has 14,000 miles on it now running the stock AD07s still, waiting until the steel belts show on the inside rear camber to swap over to the AD08s on the back. A couple more day's left of rubber I'm thinking....

Std. mode charge: 181 miles
    Range mode charge: 232 miles

I try to do thermal cool downs on the pack whenever I get the chance. Also don't do that many range mode charges. 4 since the lifetime of the car, mostly... one for curiosity and 3 done as a balancing experiment. I'll try to do 1 or 2 a year just to keep the pack happy and fully balanced. Also don't stomp on it below 40% SOC.

11. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

I don't think the voltage at the socket matters (it'll always get converted to the same charging voltage at the battery), it's the power.

12. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

Yes but in Europe we don't have (unluckily) superchagers like you have in the USA. For us the fast charge is done using 380 V voltage. So also the current amperes I suppose are higher for a 380 voltage. Then P=VI

13. Pantera Dude

Pantera Dude Member

"I try to do thermal cool downs on the pack whenever I get the chance"

Can you tell me more about the thermal cool downs?

14. Raffy.Roma

Raffy.Roma Active Member

I also would like to know more about thermal cool downs in particular when the car is being driven. Does the AC work to cool down the battery also while the Roadster is driven?

15. wiztecy

wiztecy Active Member

"Thermal Cooling" of the pack mean using the 220v charger to run the HVAC system on the car to cool the battery pack down. Tattler has this feature, have to do it manually on the OVMS although I believe it will be added later when there's resources and time on the project. If my battery temp is >26C I plug the Roadster into the charger, set the AMPS down to 12amps to cover the HVAC system, and allow it to run for 30+ minutes or until my target temp is reached. If its a hot summer day and the battery pack is heated above 30C I then set the charge Range mode and with the same amp setting. I'll turn on / off the charging 2-3 times. Range mode is more aggressive with the HVAC cooling. If your not plugged in I believe the HVAC system will run if the battery temp is extreme, I believe 40C+. It uses lots of energy to run hence why its not automatic for the most part when the Roadster is unplugged. For this to work on 110V I believe you need at least 20AMP at the plug or if you have 15AMPS the temps have to be above 36-38C to kick on.

16. hcsharp

hcsharp Active Member

Not much you can do while driving except drive in standard mode which cools the battery more than it does in range or perf mode. Once you stop, follow Wiztecy's directions ^^^. Charging in range mode for a few minutes at 240v (low amps) cools the battery to 17C.

17. Eberhard

Eberhard #421 Model S #S32

Today i cross the 120.000km line. Still more then 85%. Can still do more then 260km in SM and more then 300km in RM.

18. saprolf

saprolf Member

Got my Roadster in Jan 2011 and got now 42k Miles on my Roadster and get 167-169 miles on a standard (90%) charge. CAC value of 139.89 AH. We have hot temperatures here in PHX and the baby is still doing great.

19. rugbymonk

rugbymonk Roadster #287; S Sig #14

54k miles
    2008, 1.5; battery replaced at 20k
    Commuting to NYC almost every day, scrapping it out with busses and potholes.
    Standard charge to about 162 miles now, range mode to 190 less than 10/year.

20. rjmcdougall

rjmcdougall New Member

2011 2.5 with 29k.

189 miles in standard mode, and CAC of 159.