Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest mileage driven so far & reliability issue’s long term.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Who has the highest mileage on their EV? I’m think long term reliability and use, anyone has surpassed 100k or more miles? My other hybrid is over 168k miles, just changed the 12v and tires recently and still going. My wife’s daily commute is about 100 miles each way. What are you thought using this vehicle as a commuter considering high cost of fuel.

Upvote 0
Other than about the vehicle delivery experience most Tesla owner's only post if they experience issues with the vehicle. Prepare for the common things such as flat tires (Tesla does not provide a spare. See Modern Spare) You will read about the odd drive unit failure, high voltage battery failure within the first few months but this is the exception. Chances are you will not have any major electrical issues or other issues with your PMY. (My LRMY had an AC compressor oil leak soon after delivery in June of 2020. Tesla repaired my MY and since then I have had no issues. I don't drive much, after 25 months I have driven less than 10k miles)

Upvote 0
Both of my previous Model Ses had over 100,000 miles on them when I sold them, so I can imagine that they have far more than that by now. Electric cars have little to go wrong with them. Tesla warranties the battery pack for eight years and there's no reason it can't go twice that far.

We're not talking gas guzzlers that are powered by gas engines with hundreds of moving parts, which can wear and vibrate themselves to death in a few short years. Electric motors run for years. I suspect many of you know of a refrigerator out in someone's garage that is over fifty years old, or even older. The battery is warrantied for eight years, and I'd suspect many will go a lot longer, plus there are companies (@wk057) who are able to rebuild packs for a fraction of the cost of new.

Reactions: boulder.dude
Upvote 0
Who has the highest mileage on their EV? I’m think long term reliability and use, anyone has surpassed 100k or more miles? My other hybrid is over 168k miles, just changed the 12v and tires recently and still going. My wife’s daily commute is about 100 miles each way. What are you thought using this vehicle as a commuter considering high cost of fuel.
So one thing is there aren’t any 2170 packs over 5 years old yet for the 3/Y. There are plenty of 18650 model S’s though and quite a few have needed full pack replacement in the 7-9 year range. One would assume they’ve learned from the older S packs that failed and the newer packs will last longer. I don’t think anyone can say for certain though. For now the 3/Y warranty is 8years or 120k miles.

Aside from the battery lasting. I’m a little concerned with your 200 mile commute, while the 3/Y are rated at 330 miles my personal car is closer to a 200 mile car realistically and 150 in the winter. Now I drive badly, have 20” tires, and roof rails. Some people can get more out their cars, but not me. I will say the energy difference between driving 60 and 70MPH is dramatic. Without knowing your location, type of commute, charging availability, etc I’d probably recommend an S just on mileage alone. S warranty is 8 year 150k miles.

Upvote 0
So one thing is there aren’t any 2170 packs over 5 years old yet for the 3/Y. There are plenty of 18650 model S’s though and quite a few have needed full pack replacement in the 7-9 year range. One would assume they’ve learned from the older S packs that failed and the newer packs will last longer. I don’t think anyone can say for certain though. For now the 3/Y warranty is 8years or 120k miles.

Aside from the battery lasting. I’m a little concerned with your 200 mile commute, while the 3/Y are rated at 330 miles my personal car is closer to a 200 mile car realistically and 150 in the winter. Now I drive badly, have 20” tires, and roof rails. Some people can get more out their cars, but not me. I will say the energy difference between driving 60 and 70MPH is dramatic. Without knowing your location, type of commute, charging availability, etc I’d probably recommend an S just on mileage alone. S warranty is 8 year 150k miles.
Is there a delineation in readability between the 18650 packs? Like 2013 and early 2014, vs late 2014 and newer?

Upvote 0
Is there a delineation in readability between the 18650 packs? Like 2013 and early 2014, vs late 2014 and newer?
Yes, there certainly is. I will reference you to the expert:

"S/X packs: Pre late-2014 packs are meh. Late 2014 to mid 2015 packs are OK. Late 2015 to mid 2016 packs are good. Late 2016 and onward are pretty solid."

Reactions: M109Rider
Upvote 0
I’m on the fence with selling my MYP with FSD when my new 7 seat MYLR is ready to be delivered. The MYP is a 2020 with 84,000 miles. When the warranty runs out do I need to bank $10k if the battery goes t*ts up? Or do I sell it before that happens?

hopefully the future will bring $4k battery replacements with updated tech.

Upvote 0
I’m on the fence with selling my MYP with FSD when my new 7 seat MYLR is ready to be delivered. The MYP is a 2020 with 84,000 miles. When the warranty runs out do I need to bank $10k if the battery goes t*ts up? Or do I sell it before that happens?

hopefully the future will bring $4k battery replacements with updated tech.
You're worrying a couple 100K miles too soon and they're rated to at least 300K miles.

Upvote 0
My 2020 model Y long range is now 110k miles, and I'm getting about 14% degradation. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, it was around 8% 4 months ago in summer time 98k). Right now it's winter in California (35F - 55F low to high) so I'm hoping that is Winter specific calculation.

Anyone else seeing your full charge number lower during Winter time? Is that normal?

Upvote 0
My 2020 model Y long range is now 110k miles, and I'm getting about 14% degradation. I'm not sure if that's good or bad, it was around 8% 4 months ago in summer time 98k). Right now it's winter in California (35F - 55F low to high) so I'm hoping that is Winter specific calculation.

Anyone else seeing your full charge number lower during Winter time? Is that normal?
It can show lower in winter for several reasons yes.
Degradation will always vary from car to car based on many factors on how the cars battery has been treated.
There is not good or bad percent.

Upvote 0
It can show lower in winter for several reasons yes.
Degradation will always vary from car to car based on many factors on how the cars battery has been treated.
There is not good or bad percent.
Glad to hear, I bought the car used at around 90k miles. So this is my first winter with the car.
Just so my calculation is correct, does anyone know the mileage when new for 2020 model Y? I have the 20" turbine wheel upgrade, so I think it was slightly lower at 310mi instead of 316mi? Can someone confirm what was the full charge model when this model was new? I have been using 310 mi number.

I'd love to see if everyone can post your mileage and full charge reading?
My 2020 Model Y currently is 108k miles -> Full charge reading at 265 mi (Winter) and 285 mi (Summer) - A loss of 20 mi just in 3 mo.

Upvote 0
Glad to hear, I bought the car used at around 90k miles. So this is my first winter with the car.
Just so my calculation is correct, does anyone know the mileage when new for 2020 model Y? I have the 20" turbine wheel upgrade, so I think it was slightly lower at 310mi instead of 316mi? Can someone confirm what was the full charge model when this model was new? I have been using 310 mi number.

I'd love to see if everyone can post your mileage and full charge reading?
My 2020 Model Y currently is 108k miles -> Full charge reading at 265 mi (Winter) and 285 mi (Summer) - A loss of 20 mi just in 3 mo.

For your spec it's 318mi. BUT!
Don't take this number as a real range that you can make. The real drive distance is somewhere around 200mi, depending on speed and environment.
If you want to know the more real projected range - open Enegry app. It shows the projected range based on the history of your driving.

So by saying that, I would recommend to switch that "guesometer" from "miles" to "%", and forget about range degradation or and other stuff like that.
For example your phone or laptop, you understand your state of charge (SOC) by looking at "%" and not by some value like "how many talk hours" or "How many netflix hours left in the battery". The "%" is more practical, especially because the value in "miles" is disconnected from reality.

Upvote 0