Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest mileage with original battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm now north of 233 k mi on my original battery. still got somewhat less than 2 years on my battery warranty, maybe getting a little worried! What is the highest mileage on an original battery?

Screenshot_20210304-162842.png

Is it possible for you to provide cycle count?
I'm getting the feeling that you are confusing charging "events" with charging "cycles". Because the number of charging cycles is basically already provided in the statement you just quoted:
I'm now north of 233 k mi on my original battery.
The miles of use can be correlated very closely to the number of cycles, because a "cycle" is defined as a full capacity discharge and refill. So this was a 2014 S85, which had originally 265 rated miles. Scaling that by about 80%, you would get something like 212 real miles on the odometer per 265 EPA rated miles on the display. So take 233,000 divided by 212 real miles per charging cycle, and that's about 1,099 charge cycles. There is some estimating in there, but that's about how you calculate it.

I'm getting the feeling that you are confusing charging "events" with charging "cycles". Because the number of charging cycles is basically already provided in the statement you just quoted:

The miles of use can be correlated very closely to the number of cycles, because a "cycle" is defined as a full capacity discharge and refill. So this was a 2014 S85, which had originally 265 rated miles. Scaling that by about 80%, you would get something like 212 real miles on the odometer per 265 EPA rated miles on the display. So take 233,000 divided by 212 real miles per charging cycle, and that's about 1,099 charge cycles. There is some estimating in there, but that's about how you calculate it.

Good points. But no one has answered my question. What is the highest mileage on an original battery out there. I wouldn't mind taking the record but I do want my new battery as well! (Hopefully not a rebuilt.)

Good points. But no one has answered my question. What is the highest mileage on an original battery out there. I wouldn't mind taking the record but I do want my new battery as well! (Hopefully not a rebuilt.)
I think that may be somewhat self-limiting to around 200 to 300 thousand miles, because of a hardware/software problem. The early ones like from Tesloop, which started to get really high mileage got into some kind of state where the car's software couldn't read them properly, and would start shutting down with like 50+ miles still showing, that was real energy still left. At the time, Tesla had not figured out the software fix for those older high mileage batteries, so they were just replacing them. Those vehicles went on to get to 400, 500 thousand miles and more, but not with original batteries.

Reactions: henderrj
I'm sitting right now at 247,915 mi. If a slide my charge bar all the way to the right the software tells me I'll get 234 rated miles of range. One year of warranty left on the battery. Come on baby!

At 1% loss per 20k miles, I'd say you won the lottery of (battery) life!

I don't know if you ever drive to low SoC, but maybe a month before the warranty ends, try driving down to Zero miles, and then charge up to 100%.

Might trigger a fault, but if not, should not cause any damage.

At 1% loss per 20k miles, I'd say you won the lottery of (battery) life!

I don't know if you ever drive to low SoC, but maybe a month before the warranty ends, try driving down to Zero miles, and then charge up to 100%.

Might trigger a fault, but if not, should not cause any damage.

Our son was a master at ordering a flatbed truck. I think he ran it down to 0 four times. I don't get it very low very often, but that might be an idea. We just took a long road trip, and I'm told that could possibly trip it over too. Nope. Still running like a champ! Yes, I do believe I have one of the best batteries they ever made. Now, if only I can get a new one!

Our son was a master at ordering a flatbed truck. I think he ran it down to 0 four times. I don't get it very low very often, but that might be an idea. We just took a long road trip, and I'm told that could possibly trip it over too. Nope. Still running like a champ! Yes, I do believe I have one of the best batteries they ever made. Now, if only I can get a new one!

Instead of stressing the battery, get a CAN bus reader an a App like SMT.

If you can achieve 98% SoC at some point recently, and have minimal cell imbalance across all strings, you might have a keeper. If you do have a weak string, in my case module 2, String 1, 20-30mv low, perhaps you could make a case for a replacement if a failure occured just out of warranty

I'm not a fan of deep charge/discharge cycles, they do not improve battery health. Went to 100% for the first time ever recently, saw no improvement in range or capacity.