Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest mileage with original battery

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Instead of stressing the battery, get a CAN bus reader an a App like SMT.

If you can achieve 98% SoC at some point recently, and have minimal cell imbalance across all strings, you might have a keeper. If you do have a weak string, in my case module 2, String 1, 20-30mv low, perhaps you could make a case for a replacement if a failure occured just out of warranty

I'm not a fan of deep charge/discharge cycles, they do not improve battery health. Went to 100% for the first time ever recently, saw no improvement in range or capacity.

I think I'm with you. Especially after reading some of what Jason Hughes wrote. Basically if it's going to go, it's going to go. Most likely on a road trip, simply because of the rapid use/charge cycles. So, I think I'll just keep driving it like I always have. Charge to 74% like I've done for a while to avoid that constant whine that you get otherwise. And - enjoy my car!

Reactions: aerodyne
Instead of stressing the battery, get a CAN bus reader an a App like SMT.

If you can achieve 98% SoC at some point recently, and have minimal cell imbalance across all strings, you might have a keeper. If you do have a weak string, in my case module 2, String 1, 20-30mv low, perhaps you could make a case for a replacement if a failure occured just out of warranty

I'm not a fan of deep charge/discharge cycles, they do not improve battery health. Went to 100% for the first time ever recently, saw no improvement in range or capacity.
Hi, my 2014 Dec. build P85D with ludicrous and only 83,000 miles is going to be out of warranty in three weeks. I saw this post and would like to ask you a few questions. I think my battery only charges to 93 to 94% of its original rated range, however it charges still at up to 148 kW at the super charging station. Given that metric I was thinking it’s in good shape, but how do I go about and what exactly are you talking about when you say use this app to assess whether or not your battery is a “keeper”? Thanks so much, I would love to hold onto this thing and drive it for a long time

Hi, my 2014 Dec. build P85D with ludicrous and only 83,000 miles is going to be out of warranty in three weeks. I saw this post and would like to ask you a few questions. I think my battery only charges to 93 to 94% of its original rated range, however it charges still at up to 148 kW at the super charging station. Given that metric I was thinking it’s in good shape, but how do I go about and what exactly are you talking about when you say use this app to assess whether or not your battery is a “keeper”? Thanks so much, I would love to hold onto this thing and drive it for a long time

Based on your degradation, and the fact that 057 tech and others are coming up with battery replacements options, I'd say you have a keeper, esp if you have FUSC and sunroof and leather. I really miss those from my '15, dearly departed.

Apps such as SMT (Link)

Can show you things like this, all the temps and voltages across the 96 strings in the case of an 85 pack:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200716-145928.png
    Screenshot_20200716-145928.png
    552.8 KB · Views: 96
I think I'm with you. Especially after reading some of what Jason Hughes wrote. Basically if it's going to go, it's going to go. Most likely on a road trip, simply because of the rapid use/charge cycles. So, I think I'll just keep driving it like I always have. Charge to 74% like I've done for a while to avoid that constant whine that you get otherwise. And - enjoy my car!
henderrj - you've not posted in the last year, what's the latest on your battery, current mileage???
I'm in Eatonville
2015 (Apr) MS D70 86,000 miles

henderrj - you've not posted in the last year, what's the latest on your battery, current mileage???
I'm in Eatonville
2015 (Apr) MS D70 86,000 miles

Still plugging along on the original battery. 260k miles now. I did buy Jason Hughes' warranty. I haven't been able to take any road trips in the last year, long story about Tesla pulling my supercharging erroneously, and I don't have the wk057 tech device yet, but the battery seems good.

I've also moved down to Bixby Oklahoma. Updated this site twice with the new city state, it doesn't seem to stick. Eatonville is a beautiful little town! We often stopped there when we'd run up to Paradise. Plan on making that drive next summer!

For the uninitiated Paradise is on Mount Rainier. It is absolutely gorgeous to drive in an electric car up in that national park. Everything's quiet and you can hear all of the wildlife and natural sounds around you. (Drive with your windows open.) I think taking a person in an electric car out like that is maybe one of the best ways to convince them to sell that noisy pollution belching beast that they now drive.

Still plugging along on the original battery. 260k miles now. I did buy Jason Hughes' warranty. I haven't been able to take any road trips in the last year, long story about Tesla pulling my supercharging erroneously, and I don't have the wk057 tech device yet, but the battery seems good.

I've also moved down to Bixby Oklahoma. Updated this site twice with the new city state, it doesn't seem to stick. Eatonville is a beautiful little town! We often stopped there when we'd run up to Paradise. Plan on making that drive next summer!

For the uninitiated Paradise is on Mount Rainier. It is absolutely gorgeous to drive in an electric car up in that national park. Everything's quiet and you can hear all of the wildlife and natural sounds around you. (Drive with your windows open.) I think taking a person in an electric car out like that is maybe one of the best ways to convince them to sell that noisy pollution belching beast that they now drive.
Nice to hear you’re on the original battery at 260k miles. Have you had to do any major work done, suspension or drivetrain? Etc

Nice to hear you’re on the original battery at 260k miles. Have you had to do any major work done, suspension or drivetrain? Etc

Don't know if we'd call it major. I put $1,500 into the front end, somewhat less into the rear end. That's really the only high cost items. I did have to have the steering box replaced, but that was considerably less. Tesla did replace the compressor for the air suspension on their dime, not exactly sure why they did that. Other than that just the regular maintenance you do in cars I suppose. Surprisingly little. Got my first car in the early 1970s. Been through a lot of them! Nothing's better than electric. We had a Kia Soul ev for 3 years, had exactly zero maintenance.

I'm on the stock/original battery with 160,000 miles (257,000 km) 100% says 235 miles but i never actually see how far i go as i have it set to percentage and i don't live anywhere remotely flat enough to test that. But i do go 155 miles in the winter at 80 mph over mountain passes and it uses 92% of my charge to get there but like i said its uphill a lot of the way