Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
At least it isn't 710.77345
shell-oil.png

Not sure the VIN means much. I was just at the Tesla factory supercharger and ran into an employee who just took delivery last night. I asked him if his software had been updated to include FM radio yet, he said it had not. I also took a look at his VIN number and it said 090 for the last three digits. Given that it was delivered last night, I'm not sure the VIN numbers mean much...

• Informative
Reactions: bhzmark
Not sure the VIN means much. I was just at the Tesla factory supercharger and ran into an employee who just took delivery last night. I asked him if his software had been updated to include FM radio yet, he said it had not. I also took a look at his VIN number and it said 090 for the last three digits. Given that it was delivered last night, I'm not sure the VIN numbers mean much...
But what was the fourth digit? :p Could have been a 1...or still a 0....

• Funny
Reactions: Ulmo
Curious, what were the other number ranges? If they had 8 ready for delivery wouldn't they all be in the same range?
No, they were all over the map. There were one or two more in the 5XX series. A couple of low VINs had tags that seemed to be related to rework, which is not surprising. Since it is still early in the production ramp, I expect there is a lot of QC inspection and after any rework they are made available for delivery.

I don't believe all 8 of the M3's I saw today were being delivered today. OTOH I saw one new Model 3 that had just been delivered driving out, and I was only there for less the 30 minutes. So there is no way to estimate how many they delivered today, just that they have produced over 500 and delivered something less than they have produced.

No, they were all over the map. There were one or two more in the 5XX series. A couple of low VINs had tags that seemed to be related to rework, which is not surprising. Since it is still early in the production ramp, I expect there is a lot of QC inspection and after any rework they are made available for delivery.

I don't believe all 8 of the M3's I saw today were being delivered today. OTOH I saw one new Model 3 that had just been delivered driving out, and I was only there for less the 30 minutes. So there is no way to estimate how many they delivered today, just that they have produced over 500 and delivered something less than they have produced.

Thanks for the investigative work!

I can surmise that #521 was produced with relatively few problems relatively quickly, compared to its other early brethren. An interesting number will be contiguous clumps of VIN#s being delivered quickly, with relatively few problems in the manufacturing. A few squirts making it through OK on first run now is just the beginning. I wonder how fast it takes for the fastest production so far.

That is about what I figured based on what I was seeing, but I didn't want to give any fuel to the "shorts" over in the investors area.
Hopefully this was just a little hiccup in "pre-ramp", and once they get things humming the initial shortfall will become a rounding error in the grand scheme.

Vin numbers are assigned when you make your order, not when they enter (or complete) production. That must explain why there are VIN's ending in the 500's when only 260 have been produced. Perhaps people ordering EAP get priority over non-EAP buyers. Perhaps they are batching according to color. Or wheel choice. Or a defective part is discovered and the cars with that part sit around until the part can be replaced, one by one.

I really like this thread. Even though its not perfect it gives us a rough idea as to how many Model 3"s are being produced and one can dream about when I'll receive mine.

I must say I'm really jealous of you North American's, many of you will get your cars in the next 6 months. We in Australia don't even have firm pricing yet and have to wait until 2019 at the earliest for our cars.

It will be another 3 months now until we get new production numbers from Tesla; so keep up the good work everyone in the USA and keep posting those high VIN numbers and I will be able to count down the days till we see some model 3's in Australia.