Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is there anywhere they could be socking away "mostly-done" units while they wait for some part? Didn't that happen with the X for a while as they were waiting for one of the vendors to catch up, they just kept building and then put that part in a bunch of them and shipped.

I feel like if they were doing that, we'd see them somewhere, or in transit.

Employees are not going to share their VIN #'s. The VIN's we will see are pictures taken in the wild by others. i personally don't believe the VIN's we have seen have much to do with the ramp speed.
I agree, it seems unlikely the employees have much time to run around these days. OTOH, there is a staging area prior to delivery that some people visit. Those VINs should be a fair reflection of ramp and I don't think we have seen it yet.

Fingers crossed !

Um...
For production cars certainly.

Why must this be true for RC cars?
Because any system designed to accept VIN numbers for any reason should rightly reject a VIN number which fails the check digit check. Its entire purpose is to validate the transcription of the VIN. That's why a check digit exists. Your credit card number has a check digit embedded for the same reason.

Because any system designed to accept VIN numbers for any reason should rightly reject a VIN number which fails the check digit check. Its entire purpose is to validate the transcription of the VIN. That's why a check digit exists.

Of course. But the point is that an RC car is in a different category. An RC probably should fail a VIN check digit routine. Now, if that check is always off by the same amount for RC cars (i.e. constructing the check digit adds a constant for all RC cars), that essentially gives a second check. So a check digit routine can pass a production car, or fail but notice that it is a pass for an RC car, or fail for both. The RC check will have a slightly higher false positive rate, but who cares for a few hundred cars at most.

Thank you kindly.

Reactions: Snerruc and landis
Of course. But the point is that an RC car is in a different category. An RC probably should fail a VIN check digit routine. Now, if that check is always off by the same amount for RC cars (i.e. constructing the check digit adds a constant for all RC cars), that essentially gives a second check. So a check digit routine can pass a production car, or fail but notice that it is a pass for an RC car, or fail for both. The RC check will have a slightly higher false positive rate, but who cares for a few hundred cars at most.

Thank you kindly.

I'm sorry, but this makes no sense. It is either a check digit or it isn't. If it is a check digit, then it is made up of the other digits in the VIN and that is non-negotiable. If it is NOT a check digit, then it is not a VIN, and calling it a VIN is wrong.

Now, it's possible that the VIN's on RC cars are not VIN's, rather they are just a bunch of numbers and letters that happen to have a configuration exactly like a VIN, but I have not heard that.

Reactions: MP3Mike and Runt8
All I can say is they'd better start pushing cars out and taking orders soon because here we are not just arguing about check digits but hypothesizing that Tesla intentionally fouled check digits in RC VIN-like numbers to guard against illegal sales of such vehicles. Ladies and gentlemen, we are officially ready for the freaking car!

so it seems like with 10 days to go in september, there is no possible way 1500 3's are going to get made. i am judging this based on the fact that of non-testing vins the highest seen seems to be #217 (300s being internal test vehicles). i'm guessing the stock price action is reflecting that reality.

i was hopeful after last weekend when sightings went up meaningfully, but since then it's been mostly crickets. if people have a different opinion i would like to hear it plus supporting evidence to help cheer me up a bit. thanks!

so it seems like with 10 days to go in september, there is no possible way 1500 3's are going to get made. i am judging this based on the fact that of non-testing vins the highest seen seems to be #217 (300s being internal test vehicles). i'm guessing the stock price action is reflecting that reality.

i was hopeful after last weekend when sightings went up meaningfully, but since then it's been mostly crickets. if people have a different opinion i would like to hear it plus supporting evidence to help cheer me up a bit. thanks!

Production hell is hellish indeed, I guess.

Does it matter? I guess for idiot analysts?

I don't properly remember, but I think when we were modeling the exponential ramp-up that "1500" was expected to be something like half produced in the last week of September, which means that a one-week delay would have dramatic effects.