Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Looks like 317 is the highest I've seen.

Has the ramp started?

Couldn't someone from elected or anyone living near by stop by Fremont delivery center where m3 was spotted earlier and take a vin pic of any m3 waiting for delivery? If there aren't m3 sitting in parking lot with vins ending in 8xx,9xx, etc, i'd say ramp definitely not started. I'm just baffled by random reporting of Tesla news sites stating ramp started without this type of data.

so it seems like with 10 days to go in september, there is no possible way 1500 3's are going to get made. i am judging this based on the fact that of non-testing vins the highest seen seems to be #217 (300s being internal test vehicles). i'm guessing the stock price action is reflecting that reality.

i was hopeful after last weekend when sightings went up meaningfully, but since then it's been mostly crickets. if people have a different opinion i would like to hear it plus supporting evidence to help cheer me up a bit. thanks!

Dennis reported #310 being delivered a day or so ago. Doesn't seem like 1500 is happening. Maybe 500?

• Love
Reactions: Garlan Garner
From those of us veterans of Tesla launches... recommend don't be literal about any of this. Don't try to count and prophesize. They appear to be still in the stage of testing/tweaking tooling, and they cannot start producing fast until that is stable. IMO there's really nothing big happening til we see VIN 1000, at which point I expect some members here should have been contacted to configure and finalize orders.

Whether that is September, October, early November should not have a lasting impact with a backlog of half a million reservations as long as they ramp "exponentially" from there. Except of course to Garlan's psyche:). As long as they hit good run rate by end of year. After TGiving, I'd start to worry that either there's a supply chain issue or real tooling issues. Until then, it's all ok. But I totally understand the impatience now!!! Pix make it look so close!

Last edited:
The problem with the Model X launch is that cars that were built were sitting in SC’s for weeks prior to delivery due to quality issues...it became such an issue that SC’s were covering the VIN’s so owners wouldn’t complain that there car is merely sitting for repairs.

So far we haven’t seen any of this with the 3...definitely a good thing!

• Informative
Reactions: TMSE and D-egg-O
I'm sorry, but this makes no sense.

Ok, let me give an example. The serial number is 6 numeric digits. The check 'digit' is an alphabetic letter. Let's decide to create a check digit routine by adding all the digits in the serial number, mod it by 26, and assign the letter corresponding to that number to the check digit. (Yes, there are better check digit routines, but this one is simple for the explanation). Serial number 067896 gives a check digit of 36 -> 10 -> J. If we decide arbitrarily that RC cars get a routine of add all the digits, ADD 2, mod by 26, and convert to letter, then and RC car with 067896 would get a check digit of 38 -> 12 -> L. When Tesla checks a VIN, the car they compute the check digit, get J, and check against the check digit in the VIN, if they match, it is a legitimate check digit, if not it is not. UNLESS it is L instead, in which case it is a legitimate check on a RC VIN.

If the claim is being made that the car in question is in a customer's hand, the L counts as a failed check digit. If the provenance of the car is unknown this gives Tesla a way of differentiating between production and RC cars while still maintaining the check digit.

I hope this clear up the confusion.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. Definitely not saying that Tesla does this or anything like it, just that they could.

My question is, did Musk mean they would deliver 1500 in September, or did he mean Tesla would be at a 1500 per week run rate by the end of September? I ask because EM talks about production more in build rate per week or month than he EVER does monthly totals. If 300 cars are built on Sept 30th, and EM was indeed referring to run rate, then he met what he estimated.

I guess we'll see.

Reactions: tracksyde
My question is, did Musk mean they would deliver 1500 in September, or did he mean Tesla would be at a 1500 per week run rate by the end of September? I ask because EM talks about production more in build rate per week or month than he EVER does monthly totals. If 300 cars are built on Sept 30th, and EM was indeed referring to run rate, then he met what he estimated.

I guess we'll see.

The quote was regarding production.

Screen-Shot-2017-07-03-at-6.59.53-AM-e1499093540822.png

Ok, let me give an example. The serial number is 6 numeric digits. The check 'digit' is an alphabetic letter. Let's decide to create a check digit routine by adding all the digits in the serial number, mod it by 26, and assign the letter corresponding to that number to the check digit. (Yes, there are better check digit routines, but this one is simple for the explanation). Serial number 067896 gives a check digit of 36 -> 10 -> J. If we decide arbitrarily that RC cars get a routine of add all the digits, ADD 2, mod by 26, and convert to letter, then and RC car with 067896 would get a check digit of 38 -> 12 -> L. When Tesla checks a VIN, the car they compute the check digit, get J, and check against the check digit in the VIN, if they match, it is a legitimate check digit, if not it is not. UNLESS it is L instead, in which case it is a legitimate check on a RC VIN.

If the claim is being made that the car in question is in a customer's hand, the L counts as a failed check digit. If the provenance of the car is unknown this gives Tesla a way of differentiating between production and RC cars while still maintaining the check digit.

I hope this clear up the confusion.

Thank you kindly.

p.s. Definitely not saying that Tesla does this or anything like it, just that they could.

I think you are under the mistaken impression that the check digit is under the control of the manufacturer. It is not. Manufacturers can’t make up their own check digit algorithm for a VIN

Does it matter? I guess for idiot analysts?

I don't properly remember, but I think when we were modeling the exponential ramp-up that "1500" was expected to be something like half produced in the last week of September, which means that a one-week delay would have dramatic effects.
Yes, the dramatic effect of everyone getting their car 1 week later than originally projected.