Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My question is, did Musk mean they would deliver 1500 in September, or did he mean Tesla would be at a 1500 per week run rate by the end of September? I ask because EM talks about production more in build rate per week or month than he EVER does monthly totals. If 300 cars are built on Sept 30th, and EM was indeed referring to run rate, then he met what he estimated.

I guess we'll see.
I suspect that we give EM the benefit of the doubt, which would mean hitting 1,500 car rate by end of September?

Reactions: TMSE
Looks like 317 is the highest I've seen.

Has the ramp started?
Are they making more model 3s than the month prior? Did they make more model 3s last month than the month prior to that?

Yes. They did. meaning production rate is increasing. Definition of ramp up.

I know your comments are usually sarcastic, but you just come off as ignorant and dense.

I find this gnashing of teeth about the ramp-up to be slightly strange. Tesla has enormous motivation to get through this as quickly as possible. A bunch of guys whining on the internet isn't going to make one bit of difference.

Having been through "manufacturing hell" too many times, I can tell you that they are doing absolutely everything they can to get the vehicles out, short of shipping out defects.

Sometimes you just need to sit back and let them do the job.

To put an end to the check digit nonsense.

Check digits are defined BY LAW.

Tesla doesn't get to decide how to calculate them.

The commonly cited example of 5YJ3E1EAXHF000316 as being an RC is flat out wrong. It is a production car. It might be a company owned test car, but it is a production car that they could legally sell if they want to. It has a production VIN which follows all of the rules for how to make a production VIN with the published VIN decoder. The check digit being X is what you're supposed to use when they remainder of dividing by 11 in the final step is 10. I have driven production Model S's with an X in the check digit.

This: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Is the VIN tag on a known RC car. 5YJ3A1E109FR00042. You'll note, if you follow the rules for how to calculate the check digit, this is still valid. Tesla has for both the S and X used an R in digit 12 to signify RC cars, and this VIN tag (and a similar one for the car that went to NZ for snow testing) proves they did just that again for the Model 3.

This VIN does not satisfy some of the other ordinary things, though. digit 5 = A is meant to signify a 5 door LHD hatchback (what model S is) and not a 4 door LHD sedan (what Model 3 is, and is signified by the E in this position in the valid VIN). Also, digit 10 = 9 suggests a 2009 Model year. Model 3's should have an H here for 2017. Perhaps for RC cars they use the model year digit slot as some sort of version number.

Where is your proof that the production rate is increasing? VIN number 200 plus was given away at the model 3 final reveal over a month ago and now they are just on 300 plus? So I ask you....did they make more model 3's this month than last month?

Give us an official link concerning your claims and not just insults.
That is not true. VIN 200 was seen on a Monroney sticker in a group of cars awaiting delivery well after the July 28 event. The cars delivered there had VINs in the low double digits. Many of them have been seen in the employee charging area of the Fremont parking lot.

"Pics or it didn't happen ..."
I honestly don't know if that is a serious statement .......... or a mirthless attempt at humor.
I'm presuming the latter.
There was a day when "seeing is believing;" "A picture is worth a thousand words;" was legitimate statements.
Today, with computer graphics .... you cannot believe anything you see.

I read this thread because I am interested in how production is progressing. but sandpiper said it best:
"Sometimes you just need to sit back and let them do the job."

Here's proof of that. It took me less than 10 minutes to do.

*** THIS IS AN INTENTIONAL FAKE ***

Serial number.jpg

It was actually both serious and funny - at least I thought so. Yes, anyone with some talent and drawing program can imitate the vin number, but it takes even less effort to say you saw something. So, while I'm not worried enough about the ramp up to hang on every posted vin sighting, I'm curious enough to want to know, and cautious enough to want, at least a little, proof. I'm sure there are plenty of others that feel the same way. You're obviously with Garlan and want to see them with your own eyes.
I agree. I only did it to prove a point. I don't think anyone on here would bother to do it to try to fool the rest of us. If it was way out of sequence no one would believe it anyway. And to post one that was within a believable range wouldn't be worth the bother

I don't understand why some of you are so nitpicky about the production ramp.

Elon has said multiple times that they can't predict when the exponential phase of the ramp will happen, but we can safely assume they will be +- 1-2 months within schedule (based on their delivery estimates allowing a 3-month range).

Sure, maybe Tesla isn't going to make 1500 total cars by the end of Sept, but in the big scheme of things, they can easily make 1000 in a week once they hit that exponential phase.

Reactions: copyhacker and stef
I don't understand why some of you are so nitpicky about the production ramp.

Elon has said multiple times that they can't predict when the exponential phase of the ramp will happen, but we can safely assume they will be +- 1-2 months within schedule (based on their delivery estimates allowing a 3-month range).

Sure, maybe Tesla isn't going to make 1500 total cars by the end of Sept, but in the big scheme of things, they can easily make 1000 in a week once they hit that exponential phase.
The slower they go, the more time to iron out the wrinkles. Investor opinions may differ.
Robin

If you recall from the Model X ramp up, we were assigned a VIN a few weeks before delivery. My employee contact was told to expect delivery at the end of this month to early October from the Tesla rep but he doesn’t have a VIN on MyTesla yet?

Maybe Tesla isn't bending over backwards to keep their employee M3 customers informed. I think Tesla treats their regular customers really well, I mean what other automakers give you a VIN # to track weeks before delivery?