Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting comment from InsideEVs February sales report card regarding the lack of recent high VINs:

"We should also point out that an anonymous source with close ties to Model 3 production made us aware that the line has been down for as much as a week at a time over the course of the last month or so due to timing issues with the robots."

More proof that burst numbers are never achievable in sustained production...

Oh ye of little faith...

Attachments

• IMG_20180301_223631.jpg
    IMG_20180301_223631.jpg
    503.9 KB · Views: 140
Interesting comment from InsideEVs February sales report card regarding the lack of recent high VINs:

"We should also point out that an anonymous source with close ties to Model 3 production made us aware that the line has been down for as much as a week at a time over the course of the last month or so due to timing issues with the robots."

Boy was I wrong, I thought robots would be more reliable than human employees. :D

• Funny
Reactions: JRP3
8255 must be one of the most reported VINs.

Dont know if everyone is aware, but when you report a vin as 32xx, the systems that are automatically grabbing those Vins use 55 in place of the xx so 3255. So 82xx could be reported as 8255 up to 100 times and be legitimate. Ore then likely its the same people reiterating the same 82xx that everyone has seen.

How does this tracker know exactly hoe many more were registered? On the NHTSA site, 12436 is confirmed as a VIN, but 12435 for example says "error VIN not valid"

Did you change the check digit in the VIN? For 12345 the check digit (9th digit in the VIN) would be 4. So the full VIN for Model 3 # 12345 would be 5YJ3E1EA4JF012435 which does show up as a valid VIN on the NHTSA site: Recalls. Whoever setup that Model 3 VINs account on Twitter has some program that they run to keep checking the NHTSA site for new VINs and I'm pretty sure they've set it up to properly calculate the check digits as well as check for dual motors configs, etc.

You can use this VIN calculator to find the correct check digit for a VIN: Alton's VIN Calculator Results

Is the pause from installing the battery assembly equipment from Germany in the Gigafactory? Wasn't that supposed to happen in March?

When has Tesla ever been that on top of their time estimate?! Never. If they say March we will be lucky if it’s installed March 31st. I think the pause is something else, InsideEVs suggests “robot timing” from a source as someone else said above. Seems like an odd time to have robot timing issues after they have already been running but admittedly I know nothing about robots maybe someone else here is more familiar.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Weren't they supposed to be manually building battery modules because the equipment was faulty? The German stuff must be replacing the poorly operating manually assisted line so production goes to zero at that point.

I don't follow. Why couldn't the new and old lines operate simultaneously? Plenty of space and no shortage of raw materials (I hope).