Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can’t subtract out those that were produced last quarter unless you add in those produced but not delivered this quarter. That would be a meaningless number. Either you track vehicles produced, or you track vehicles delivered. Your method mashes up the two in the most negative light possible.
Nothing mashed. 1550 were previosly delivered in Q4, 860 in transit. Hopefully, we'll have closer to 2.5K in transit if they keep their promise to ramp up to 2.5k/week by Q1 end, but I was talking about deliveries.
Tesla Q4 2017 Vehicle Production and Deliveries (NASDAQ:TSLA)
What I am suggesting is that even if we see 12000 vins in 3 weeks, there will be gaps and likely only 10k cars. Then subtract those delivered prior to Q1. You end up with not a very pleasing number for total delivered in Q1.

So, my bet is 8K delivered in Q1. When my hope was at least 12K based on production rate they said they reached back in Dec.

Last edited:
Reactions: navguy12
Spotted # 7237 at the Tesla store in Springfield NJ. It’s from the same batch as mine (also a 72XX). Nice to finally see my color and wheel combo in person!

28727EF6-9E80-4D1C-A421-D44D0C842C28.jpeg

A38E055C-C905-4B3F-97B4-69E1676A6FE0.jpeg

Nothing mashed. 1550 were previosly delivered in Q4, 860 in transit. Hopefully, we'll have closer to 2.5K in transit if they keep their promise to ramp up to 2.5k/week by Q1 end, but I was talking about deliveries.
Tesla Q4 2017 Vehicle Production and Deliveries (NASDAQ:TSLA)
What I am suggesting is that even if we see 12000 vins in 3 weeks, there will be gaps and likely only 10k cars. Then subtract those delivered prior to Q1. You end up with not a very pleasing number for total delivered in Q1.

So, my bet is 8K delivered in Q1. When my hope was at least 12K based on production rate they said they reached back in Dec.

Edit: I went back and re-read your original post. My misunderstanding. I thought you were subtracting in transit from deliveries this quarter. As I understand it now, you're subtracting all prior deliveries (but you didn't include Q3?) from total deliveries to get Q1 deliveries?

Last edited:
Overall, that's pretty poor progress. As we have seen in the past, it takes Tesla long time to fill up VIN gaps from the past, so I'm suspecting there may be couple Ks still missing. With 3 weeks left in March, I believe they'll deliver a total of 10K by the end of Q1 at the current pace. Minus 1550 from Q4 2017, that's like 8K total for Q1 or average of 700/week for the 12+ weeks after telling us they reached 1k/week in December... I don't see this as something worth celebrating.

Indeed it is truthfully really poor progress.