Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
If they are so worried about the vin numbers, why don't they have people put some tape over it? It doesn't make much sense to deliver a car, let it out in the wild and then have an NDA that doesn't allow other people to see it.

Maybe the guy thought pictures were going to be taken of something else. Or he was just using the NDA as an excuse to get someone away from his car.

I can't imagine Tesla cares much about VIN numbers getting out, especially if rumors of the ramp up going well are true.

Maybe the guy thought pictures were going to be taken of something else. Or he was just using the NDA as an excuse to get someone away from his car.

I can't imagine Tesla cares much about VIN numbers getting out, especially if rumors of the ramp up going well are true.
How would you guys all feel if strangers would peek into your car windows and take pictures of what you have inside? or your license plate, VIN? Maybe Tesla employees want their privacy, and Tesla wants to help by not encouraging such intrusions. These are not RC cars, the employees are not testing them as a job, they own the cars, as owners.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krugerrand
full

Nobody in the history of mankind ever bothered to stalk car owners and take pictures of their VINs until Tesla. And now you're suggesting that those owners tape over their VINs to prevent zealous fans from talking pictures. How absurd.

There are various VIN collecting sites out there for different car models.
Usually they are for classic / exotic cars.
Here is one random example:
912VIN.com - The database for Vehicle Indentification Numbers ( VIN ) of the Porsche 912.

It is my understanding that a car's VIN is public information, and is required to be visible in the US.

I think law enforcement would concerned if they couldn't find a visible VIN. That is a way stolen cars and chop shopped cars are sometimes driven around. So it'd be a good way to get the car towed to an impound lot if you weren't around to answer questions.

• Informative
Reactions: DR61