Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
And NUMMI under Toyota and GM was able to crank out 6000 cars a week, and Tesla is going to do 10,000 from this factory. I'll wait and see
NUMMI was at 8200+ units/week in 2006 including holidays/etc.

Up to May 2010, NUMMI built an average of 6000 vehicles a week, or nearly eight million cars and trucks since opening in 1984.[15][16] In 1997, NUMMI produced 357,809 cars and trucks,[17] peaking at 428,633 units in 2006.[14]

NUMMI - Wikipedia

I wouldn't be surprised if NUMMI could produce more, but GM backed out before the next gen Corolla was introduced, so we never found out.

I believe the VINs are not sequential in terms of assignment and delivery because of following reasons
  • Choice of color (cars of color in most demand are produced first.Produce batch of say white cars and then move to other color)
  • Delivery location (Farther distance from CA later the delivery)
  • Quality problems (Car may be produced but not delivered because of quality problems.They can fix the problems and deliver car quickly but I guess they are holding back these cars investigating what went wrong in production)

Looking at the VIN data we should see VINs around 14K by march end. So that extrapolates to about 10K production and 8K deliveries. I am fairly certain now that deliveries will be around 8K. Production number could go up to 12-13K depending on production ramp in last 2 weeks.
I think the most logical would be that they collect the cars per 8 at the fremont staging lot for a specific delivery location. You can see that they are doing the per 8, thing if you watch one of the drone flyovers in fremont factory. Once they have 6 or 7 or 8 cars ready for a specific delivery location , they load them on a car carrier and phone each customer and give them their vin#. Then they can give them also a assurance that there car will be in the customers hand in a specific period. If you would give the vin# at production time, you have no idea how long it will take before the car leaves the fremont factory lot. It would also explain the low vin# that are still getting assigned. Those cars probably have been produced , 2 or 3 weeks ago, but due that some delivery locations, dont have a lot of orders in the current invite batches and before you come to 8 cars ready to ship to that "non busy" delivery location, some weeks can go over it. But offcourse "busy" delivery locations, will always have the highest vin# being sent as they are continually being emptied.

A heap of about 40 M3's overflowed to a parking lot near my office on Fremont blvd. Highest VIN was 11xxx but there was no order to the VIN's. Donno the disposition of them at all.
IMG_0547.JPG

A heap of about 40 M3's overflowed to a parking lot near my office on Fremont blvd. Highest VIN was 11xxx but there was no order to the VIN's. Donno the disposition of them at all.
View attachment 287936

If you could lick the door handle of that midnight silver one up front to officially tag it for me that would be super.

And NUMMI under Toyota and GM was able to crank out 6000 cars a week, and Tesla is going to do 10,000 from this factory. I'll wait and see

And NUMMI never ran more than 1.5 shifts at a time. Because Corolla/Geo Prizm Toyota Matrix/Pontiac Vibe were never production constrained. They were demand constrained.

A car factory can run 3 40hr shifts per week running 7 days per week using time between shifts for maintenance.

Last edited: