Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First Roadster 245mi, 56kWh.
10 years later 3 has a better range.
Roadster-2 is 600+ mi, 200kWh.
How long before this range comes to 3?
I don't think that the 3 will get that sort of range, barring some major battery technology breakthrough, since it is the "more affordable" model — the goal being to keep the cost down. 300 miles is enough, given the increasingly robust Supercharger network, although some increase in range is likely to keep ahead of the competition. (Assuming that competition does finally happen someday!)

Highest production VIN in the wild ?

The highest registered VIN with NHTSA so far is still 51733: Model 3 VINs on Twitter
Since it is June, I would expect that Tesla is sitting on cars already built while waiting for July 1st, for USA tax credit reasons. VIN reports seem to have stalled out in the 29k to 34k range.

Thanks for the heads up @PoitNarf

Although I know VIN registration with the NHTSA isn't really an indicator of production, but it's nice to see this aspect resuming again. Can't wait for the floodgates to open come July 1.

--Cintoman
We've seen VIN ~40k reported in CJ's VIN chart. Tesla is at 3500/wk now and going up to 5k/wk, so 53800-40000 gives them ~3 weeks of VINs to use. I think we will continue to see more VIN registration soon.

I dunno this is really weird guys. No actual VIN sightings/photos above 30k in almost a month now?

If Tesla is anywhere near 5k a week then they are warehousing ALOT of cars and I don’t know where they could be doing that without someone leaking about some massive warehouse with literally tens of thousands of M3’s!

Either that or they have shut down production but again would think that would have leaked out as well.

Don’t buy that all production is going to Canada currently either as I’m sure some higher VINs up north would have been spotted/posted by now!

Final option is they are sending M3’s out all over the country to be warehoused somewhere close to the final buyer. Then come July 1st they release tens of thousands of cars all at once but that would probably overwhelm the few stores/service centres they do have - all while they are currently downsizing the store/service centre staff??

Something doesn’t add up. I hope it’s good news come July 1st but I’m not so sure anymore.

Would it really be worth all this just to miss hitting 200k in the USA before the end of Q2?

US should have changed the federal rebate to 500,000 by now anyway. Reward the company that has done more than all others to promote sustainable transport..don’t punish them because they have done a much better job than all the other lazy automakers! Look how many jobs Tesla has created!

Write your congressmen guys! I would but I’m not an American.

Reactions: KJD and Michelx
I dunno this is really weird guys. No actual VIN sightings/photos above 30k in almost a month now?

If Tesla is anywhere near 5k a week then they are warehousing ALOT of cars and I don’t know where they could be doing that without someone leaking about some massive warehouse with literally tens of thousands of M3’s!

Either that or they have shut down production but again would think that would have leaked out as well.

Don’t buy that all production is going to Canada currently either as I’m sure some higher VINs up north would have been spotted/posted by now!

Final option is they are sending M3’s out all over the country to be warehoused somewhere close to the final buyer. Then come July 1st they release tens of thousands of cars all at once but that would probably overwhelm the few stores/service centres they do have - all while they are currently downsizing the store/service centre staff??

Something doesn’t add up. I hope it’s good news come July 1st but I’m not so sure anymore.

Would it really be worth all this just to miss hitting 200k in the USA before the end of Q2?

US should have changed the federal rebate to 500,000 by now anyway. Reward the company that has done more than all others to promote sustainable transport..don’t punish them because they have done a much better job than all the other lazy automakers! Look how many jobs Tesla has created!

+1 teddyg

I'm not sweating it. People are starting to get VINs, and people are posting that the "Edit My Design" link has disappeared from their accounts (indicating their order is now locked in/progressing).

The floodgates will open in ~10 days.

Over in another thread that linked to reddit is a post with pic of a lot near the rail yard full of 3s.

July is going to be crazy

Exactly. The Performance/AWD line-in-a-tent has supposedly been up and running since the 11th. People's Design Studio links are changing. We HAVE seen some higher VINs being assigned to owners, and there's one more important thing to note about VINs:

They're not required to be registered with NHTSA until the vehicle is ready to be put into service.

Meaning: Tesla can build these cars, with the VINs assigned and everything (for parts-tracking, etc), and only have those VINs stored locally. They can sit on those cars, and when they are ready to ship them, THEN they can register them with NHTSA, so that when you go to get insurance and financing, your VIN is "valid".

I have a feeling they're sitting on some cars, and in the wee hours of July 1st, NHTSA will be seeing a flood of new VINs being registered.

Reactions: mongo and pp626

Tesla possibly could use temp/intern labor to deliver cars for a month or two in order to get caught up.

I have a feeling they're sitting on some cars, and in the wee hours of July 1st, NHTSA will be seeing a flood of new VINs being registered.
I hope not.
I understand Tesla manipulating the 200k car mark to gain another quarter of full tax credit; after all, Elon has been upfront about that for years. Manipulating VIN registrations is a different matter entirely and would be done to tweak the stock market.

That is a slippery slope.

• Disagree
Reactions: McFlurri

So much agree, but my pedanticness must point out that the NHTSA site is only a portal to Tesla's servers. So there is no registration as such, rather Tesla updates their database to acknowledge the VINs so, when NHTSA pings them due to end user request, they get data back.
(rusty pseudo SQL)
for visible, built in Model3NHTSA where built == true and visible == False, visible = true

I hope not.
I understand Tesla manipulating the 200k car mark to gain another quarter of full tax credit; after all, Elon has been upfront about that for years. Manipulating VIN registrations is a different matter entirely and would be done to tweak the stock market.

Tesla never claimed VIN registration as a metric of anything, so I disagree that skipping, back filling, and/or delaying non-delivered vehicle updates is actionable. If people assume correlation, that is on them.

I hope not.

Even then, VIN registrations don't matter when it comes to the tax credit.

Every car sitting at a Service Center that hasn't been "put in service" has a VIN on it. That's the date/number that matters: "put-in-service date".

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
So much agree, but my pedanticness must point out that the NHTSA site is only a portal to Tesla's servers. So there is no registration as such, rather Tesla updates their database to acknowledge the VINs so, when NHTSA pings them due to end user request, they get data back.
(rusty pseudo SQL)
for visible, built in Model3NHTSA where built == true and visible == False, visible = true

There's nothing stopping Tesla from keeping the VINs off their NHTSA-facing servers for the time being.

Tesla never claimed VIN registration as a metric of anything, so I disagree that skipping, back filling, and/or delaying non-delivered vehicle updates is actionable. If people assume correlation, that is on them.

Exactly. We've (the Tesla community as a whole) taken to doing that, and we tend to get excited with the higher numbers. We all tend to forget, however, that there is nothing in writing that says an OEM has to sequentially produce vehicles according to their VIN.

Reactions: mongo