Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Indeed they did. That's 8K cars per month.

Now the Model 3 is going to ramp up to 20K per month by itself. I wonder where they are going to store those cars.

Toyota-GM produced 460k cars at Fremont in 1996.

They don't need to store so many cars.

They need to ship that many cars. I don't think that will come as a surprise to Elon. The need to ship ~10k cars per week.

• Informative
Reactions: dhanson865
They've been building those huge delivery centers in Fremont and Marina Del Rey (and elsewhere) for this purpose. They also do home deliveries. I agree it's a logistical nightmare though, especially at 10k/week.

Absolutely not. I don't believe that for a second.

Elon quoted many times that even thought they are anti selling the Model 3....new reservations were coming in around 1800 per day back in August. . Can you imagine what the reservation list will look like when the world starts to physically see what the Model 3 looks like as they get delivered across the US.....then overseas?

Tesla says it is getting 1,800 Model 3 reservations per day since Friday
This was days after the first delivery event. I'm sure it died WAY down since then.

Remember in ~November, when someone posted pics of 80-100 M3s in a parking deck in the LA area, each with defects scrawled on the windshields? Did anyone ever post a credible update on what happened with those cars? I'm assuming they were worked by area SCs and delivered as new recently, once the defects had been resolved by SC techs. But it'd be interesting (to me) to know what Tesla did with those many 3s by now.

So Tesla is going to have car transports driving around neighborhoods delivering cars? Makes perfect sense. Or are they going to use trains to ship them to some destination and have the Tesla truck deliver them?

Some will go to delivery centers and be scheduled to be picked up by customers ASAP. Others will be trucked to service centers for pickup, just as Tesla has been doing with X/S for years.

But Toyota-Gm shipped them to dealers that had car lots. Where is Fremont going to shipped 10000 to?

Once a newly started dealer has filled their lot, the only shipments they receive are to replace sold inventory. So the number of cars sitting at all the dealerships is sort of irrelevant to distribution.

Selling 10k a week nationwide takes the same logistical effort whether there are 0 or 100k cars sitting in dealer/delivery center inventory. Delivery center count does matter in terms in facility throughput needed. With a backlog of orders/ guaranteed buyers, they can parallel DSs to match the shipping rate (Assuming sufficient short term buffer space, summon is your friend).

So Tesla is going to have car transports driving around neighborhoods delivering cars? Makes perfect sense. Or are they going to use trains to ship them to some destination and have the Tesla truck deliver them?

You guys are nuts with this conversation. Delivering 10k/w is not the problem, building now then 2000/w apparently if the team issue.

Just to put out into context, let's say roughly 250 stores world wide. 2k/week day at worst. That's 8 deliveries pet store per week day, and they deliver 12 hours a day. It's basically a full time job for one person per location. It takes longer loading/unloading and detailing.

If they want to deliver to someone's home where ever is so location, just work a deal with a car wash to detail the cars and higher drivers to deliver the cars and Uber then back for the next delivery. 8 per day... Nothing.

Remember in ~November, when someone posted pics of 80-100 M3s in a parking deck in the LA area, each with defects scrawled on the windshields? Did anyone ever post a credible update on what happened with those cars? I'm assuming they were worked by area SCs and delivered as new recently, once the defects had been resolved by SC techs. But it'd be interesting (to me) to know what Tesla did with those many 3s by now.
Umm, most of the defect note was on Model S/X. They pulled the article when the article made it sound like Model 3 were defective and waiting for fix.

I don't think dealing with 10k cars/week is that difficult. Yes the logistics have to be worked out but let's just say that 10k/week are going just to US Tesla locations. There are about 100 showrooms (I am assuming that each service center will deliver. This doesn't count for locations that might have 3 showrooms but only one service center like Houston). So let's say 100 locations in the US to do deliveries. That means that for 10k/week each location will have to deliver about 100 cars/week. That isn't that crazy. Now if it is 10k/week world wide which is more reasonable because by the time they hit 10k/week they'll probably be doing international shipments then you are looking at probably closer to 50 cars per week to be delivered.

That is less than 10 cars/day per location. It isn't that far fetched. Right now it seems crazy because they are only delivering to Cali mostly but when they get other service centers delivering and they hire the people to wash/detain/deliver the cars it isn't that crazy when you divide by the number of locations.

Now this is a gross generalization but some service centers will be able to do lots more deliveries and some less. Plus for example I might be willing to drive to Houston or Dallas to get my car if they could move up my delivery slot of they have more ability to move more cars from that location than say Austin.

Hm, now that I think more about it, I really wouldnt be surprised if a new reservation from a current S/X owner allows them to leapfrog the whole line. We’ve also already seen that some california owners of only 1 vehicle have been invited to configure a second reservation. I haven’t been invited to configure on my 1st (and only) reservation yet, but I’m halfway tempted to place a second one right now and just get it refunded in a month or two, and see if somehow that one gets invited to configure in the same ballpark timeframe as my original 1st day reservation. For science.
For science: my new reservation as of today is listing Late 2018 for all three categories. But... the CA owners that got invited for both reservations didn’t have identical dates either. So, we’ll wait until my first reservation gets invited before drawing conclusions.

I do wonder where Tesla is putting all of those cars......even at 1K per week. They have never produced that many cars before.....and the Fremont parking lot is tremendously small. They must have trucks full of Model 3's racing out of Fremont at a tremendous pace.

They're putting them here. There were hundreds in this lot close to the Fremont Factory.