Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest production VIN in the wild

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It won't be a problem until they make a million cars in one year, at the same factory, and with the exact same "attributes" (i.e. rear wheel drive, long range battery). Note that a million a year is over 19,000 a week...

Production at a different factory changes the "F" which I assume stands for Fremont, and a new model year changes the "J", and different attributes changes the "3E1EA"

Well if they sell a million M3 cars in one year I think NHTSA will have a meltdown.
They are changed yearly so no problem.
I think the J or F change with the old fashioned concept of "model year" .

The sequential numbers are not reset yearly. For example, they did not reset going from 2017 to 2018.

But they can "wrap around" as long as the year "digit" changes.

Also of note is that the 6th digit can also be alphanumeric, and there are 9 possible letters in addition to the 10 possible digits, so you could theoretically build 1.9 million vehicles in the same year without having to worry.

• Informative
Reactions: Garlan Garner
This is the latest VIN number registered with NHTSA. 5YJ3E1EA6JF042942

What happens when they register the millionth VIN #?

there's only room for 6 numbers.

Does the VIN number get longer as they just add another digit to the end?

By the time they get to the 1,000,000 VIN, they can reset back to 000001, because the year code (2018 being J, position 10 within the VIN) will be different for 2019, 2020 or later. 2019 will be "K".

--Cintoman

If they make a million Model 3's it's gonna lose all its charm. Especially if they do it in a single year.

It's still fun to see a Tesla, but someday it's gonna be like VW Bugs back in the day, or the Hond℁ Prius more recently.

-Randy

Last edited:
Reactions: Ulmo
E1CE80DE-A931-4D11-9FB9-CA88F12BAF6B.png
New high score in the wild