Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highest Software on a Canadian Model 3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Went 39.7 to 42.3 today. I'm pretty sure it came over LTE. I know the car downloaded about 400MB overnight on wifi but I drove to work first thing with no notification. I then got the app notification after it had sat in the parking lot for 6 hours. Seems like it may have partially downloaded over home wifi and finished off over LTE?

Got 42.3 this morning. I haven't noticed much of a difference yet except I feel like the sonar sensor sensitivity has changed. They seem to be a bit more responsive. Backing out of our garage there is a small elevation gap. Previously there was no sonar warning. This morning the car was very adamant that there was an issue directly behind the car when backing out. Maybe it's my imagination but I'll pay closer attention to this.

Also I noticed a loading indicator on the web browser (the address bar fills in with grey during loading). I don't remember seeing that before (which could also be because the browser would rarely work!).
I made the same comment/observation about the web browser a few comments up. Early this morning it was super responsive, but later in the day it didn't work nearly as well (though still better than before).

I haven't noticed any difference in driving with EAP or anything with 42.3. However, I do think there has been a change made to the level of regen reduction to a cold battery. I haven't plugged the car in for a few days and even sitting in the garage with the temps we have been having (about 10C) I would get in the car with about 1/3 - 1/2 of the regen bar being dots. By the end of my morning drive it would shift up to just under the 'R' or 'N' on the display. But this morning 10 min into my drive it had no dots. This may also be because I'm down to about 20% battery charge, but thought it was worth mentioning to see if others have noticed the same thing.

So, it isn't that the dots are less, its that they disappear faster I think.

Edit: I should add the strength of the regen is the same. I have actually measured the regen strength on 39.7 with my phone's acceleratometer's. I have yet to analyze the data, but just observing on my display I measured in-line with other reported values of ~0.2g of regen force. Now on 42.3 I measured basically the same thing....maybe I'll quickly pull the raw data and put some plots together....

Edit 2:

Plots below. Once I normalized the force to zero the regen went down to an average of about 0.15g. Top plot is 42.3 bottom 39.7. The black line is a moving average of all the data points to better show the average force.. Both plots started at ~ 100 km/h at the same offramp (on different days). Then I sped up a bit, then used regen down to a full stop. Both plots are virtually the same to me.

View attachment 349197
Very interesting graphs. I am assuming both were measured at same battery level ? From my observation, regen strength is very different when battery 100% vs 50.

The other day I almost hit other car at a stop sign because the first time I charged battery to 100%. It didn’t bring my M3 down to zero. I go throw this this stop sign everyday at least twice so I know what to expect:)

Edit: I should add the strength of the regen is the same. I have actually measured the regen strength on 39.7 with my phone's acceleratometer's. I have yet to analyze the data, but just observing on my display I measured in-line with other reported values of ~0.2g of regen force. Now on 42.3 I measured basically the same thing....maybe I'll quickly pull the raw data and put some plots together....

Edit 2:

Plots below. Once I normalized the force to zero the regen went down to an average of about 0.15g. Top plot is 42.3 bottom 39.7. The black line is a moving average of all the data points to better show the average force.. Both plots started at ~ 100 km/h at the same offramp (on different days). Then I sped up a bit, then used regen down to a full stop. Both plots are virtually the same to me.

I had some time to drive with 42.3 more this afternoon and at higher speeds. My observation is that regen is definitely different. The difference is more pronounced at higher speed (> 80 km/h). I think they have adjusted the regen onset. It seems that the initial deceleration is slowed down. So you don't get the initial "push back" feeling the instant you lift off the pedal. It's definitely more gradual.

• Funny
Reactions: gbertsch
Very interesting graphs. I am assuming both were measured at same battery level ? From my observation, regen strength is very different when battery 100% vs 50.

The other day I almost hit other car at a stop sign because the first time I charged battery to 100%. It didn’t bring my M3 down to zero. I go throw this this stop sign everyday at least twice so I know what to expect:)
At 100 % charge Regen is off since there is no headroom in the battery to put energy back into it. All EVs work this way, my wife's bolt has limited Regen down to about 90% charge. In the bolt you can enable something called hilltop reserve which only charges to 90%, so that if you live on top of a hill you will get Regen going down it. :)

I had some time to drive with 42.3 more this afternoon and at higher speeds. My observation is that regen is definitely different. The difference is more pronounced at higher speed (> 80 km/h). I think they have adjusted the regen onset. It seems that the initial deceleration is slowed down. So you don't get the initial "push back" feeling the instant you lift off the pedal. It's definitely more gradual.
If anything the graphs show the opposite, the slope of the graph for 42.3 is much sharper than 39.7 on the onset.. though I can't say for sure if I pulled my foot off the pedal right away in both instances. I plan to do much more controlled testing, as I was just playing with the measurements this week.

I'll be most interested in seeing how the force chances when I out the winter tires on since in the other thread about losing Regen it seems this is a 'thing' but maybe more an effect on rwd than awd.

So, one other observation while driving home: lane keeping is different in the HOV lanes. When the lane widens out to allow people to enter and exit the car hugs the right side a lot tighter than before. Previously it would adjust slightly to re center the car in the wider lane, but now it puts me 6 inches or so away from the line.

A bit disconcerting actually since I'm flying by stopped cars at this point. Maybe it's part of the NAV on autopilot code and it's anticipating the lane will split into 2 since it suddenly got wider...will be interesting to test when in the right lane and the lane actually splits. I had EAP off when I exited the highway so I couldn't test.

I observed same thing this after on DVP. The deceleration curve seems adjusted. The sudden frequent regen is the main cause for my lower back pain.

Reactions: dusdev
Just got 42.4. Haven't checked the release notes in the car yet but I imagine nothing has been added other than bug fixes. It was roughly 447MB.
Same - just received 42.4.

On 42.2 I noticed a very light regen at speed, then stronger once moving at lower speeds on the off ramps. I thought it was likely to do with the temperature, but it sounds more like the update changed how it behaves. I personally like the heavier regen all the time at all speeds. Would be nice if this were configurable actually.

Reactions: dusdev and Tony_YYZ