Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highlight your charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It doesn’t have to be California bashing all the time. The evolution or inspiration of charging port was from ICE cars. Of course all the petrol pumps / stations have lights so we don’t have to fiddle with the pumps. The same logic was applied as all superchargers have lights. Now home charging was thought of as one off just like using jerrry can to fill petrol in the middle of night at home with a torch. Anyhow that was the thinking when Tesla designed it. Things have changed now and I am sure Tesla will come up with the lights when the next hardware changes happens. But my understanding is they are thinking something different to the 50p lights bmw and Audi has on their charge port. That’s Tesla for you whether you like it or hate it!
No California-bashing intended, and apologies for the missing ;) ;) ;) s. Some of my favourite human beings come from California.

However the fact remains, as I said, that all Nissan Leafs (they reached the market, what, 18 months before the Model S?) have illuminated charge ports.

Same problem. Charge port in the shadow of the car from the security light. That’s a brilliant idea. Even comes with some double sided stickers so I can fix it to the side of the car 😜

Seriously, such a simple solution. Although I might hold off a bit as I’m sure Tesla could come up with something far more complicated that only partly works in the next couple of weeks…
All credit to @Dasher above! I lack the lateral thinking to have solved the issue. ;)

The 3M sticky pads lasted about 30 seconds in Storm Eunice but I'm sure would stick to the Model 3's paintwork perfectly. o_O🤪

No California-bashing intended, and apologies for the missing ;) ;) ;) s. Some of my favourite human beings come from California.

However the fact remains, as I said, that all Nissan Leafs (they reached the market, what, 18 months before the Model S?) have illuminated charge ports.
I said Tesla was inspired based on ICE cars with well lit SuC similar to petrol stations. I don’t think Nissan thought of charging network at all in those days (even now), so Leaf was designed as something people charge at home mainly - so the charge port had a light as default.

The problem with Elon was at the beginning he was too inspired based on Model T and wanted to more or less replicate an ICE car hardware wise. And some of the omissions and oddities are part of that. Without those oddities and quirks Tesla will be just another electric car similar to German cars.