Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highlight your charge cable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

M1tch

2021 M3P with EAP
Nov 16, 2021
Gloucester, England
Just wondered how / if any of you highlight your charge cable at night / in difficult to see locations? Where I work (I stay there all week) I charge off a 3 pin plug in my Accom and despite the photo, it’s near pitch black outside, so have wrapped glow in the dark tape around the cable. Probably need a few more and also a water proof extension that snaps shut over the plug (this one doesn’t lock over the plug). Apart from that it’s a workable setup. Anyone else got any better ideas or do anything different?

*photo won’t upload for some reason….

That's probably a good idea. And considering it's all for electricity there should be another socket nearby for plugging a lighting solution into.

In the marine environment there are cord set sleeves. Something like that, but with LED rope lighting in it could be really good.

For indoor / office cable management I use something called "cable sock" which is a mesh tube material that fits snug against all the cables that pass through it. They make it in different dimensions, so you could run LED rope light through something like that as well, and I think it would still be visible. Not sure if they make some that's more loose weave like fishnet, but probably the denser stuff would work.

Reactions: Smileysam
I bought some 3M reflective paper to stick around the charge port but didn’t fit as a test of it showed that it was too dark even for it to make a difference.

Glow in the dark tape needs to be pre charged so unlikely to glow enough as it’s hidden under the charge port cover so will probably not charge up. That said, I am awaiting delivery of some for another project so will test.

However, by fluke, I did find a mostly workable solution for finding the charge port in the pitch dark. On one charge where I went to plug in immediately after stopping, the car left its rear lights on just long enough to place my hand near the rear lights to reflect light back into the area to see the charge port. I think leaving rear lights on (follow me home) after parking is a relatively new update. This works surprisingly well even in pitch dark or standing in your own shadow from a street light as is our case. However not all plug-in situations involve plugging in whilst car lights a remaining on.

If it's literally just to find the charger and not to light up the lead so no one trips over it, you could attach one of those tritium vilals to the charge port. You can either buy them loose or as a keyring and they basically glow for over 10 years without the need for charging (they're effectively radioactive). In situations where it's pitch black they're actually quite bright.
you could attach them to the cable, but they're not that cheap.

It's real "dark sky" territory around our place so it's absolutely pitch black if the moon isn't up. I have been using some solar outdoor lights for more than a year and they work very well. They charge even on dull winter days (much better than outside solar lights of yesteryear). I just looked on Amazon and the exact ones I have aren't there but several similar types ... just like these:

If it's literally just to find the charger and not to light up the lead so no one trips over it, you could attach one of those tritium vilals to the charge port. You can either buy them loose or as a keyring and they basically glow for over 10 years without the need for charging (they're effectively radioactive). In situations where it's pitch black they're actually quite bright.
Another view about tritium vials from a similar older thread:

IMG_2022-2-2-115530.jpg

I put some 3m reflective tape on mine - doesn't make a huge difference at night if i'm honest, but at least it makes it more obvious for the post man

This is the problem I have - the charge port is on the opposite side of the car to our security light, so it is pitch dark and I can't see to plug the cable in without fumbling. I was thinking of sticking a keychain torch to the top of the charge cable plug - so I could press it down and illuminate. If I make that work I'll post a photo.

I’ve just ordered one on the tritium devices, smallest thing I’ve ever bought 6mm x 1.5mm. (£5.90 from Amazon)
I’m going to stick it onto the inside of the charger port lid, it should help me to locate the socket in the dark.

I’ve just ordered one on the tritium devices, smallest thing I’ve ever bought 6mm x 1.5mm. (£5.90 from Amazon)
I’m going to stick it onto the inside of the charger port lid, it should help me to locate the socket in the dark.

Are you in a completely dark location? I'll be interested to know how it works out as I've not yet seen a post from anybody who is claiming to have found the ideal charge port illumination solution. .... it could be you !!

Please update. I was thinking the same but decided not to as
1 I had a silicon ccs charge socket cover that was not totally flush and prevented charge port from closing flush
2 the ones that I looked at were made of glass… wasn’t sure what would happen if it broke and leaked out down the car

Plan C was to affix to the charge port plug and hope it’s bright enough

Plan B is to experiment with putting the glow in the dark tape that has just arrived in a few places.

But holding hand as a reflector when rear light is on does work well, when the light is on.

This is the problem I have - the charge port is on the opposite side of the car to our security light, so it is pitch dark and I can't see to plug the cable in without fumbling. I was thinking of sticking a keychain torch to the top of the charge cable plug - so I could press it down and illuminate. If I make that work I'll post a photo.

Are you in a completely dark location? I'll be interested to know how it works out as I've not yet seen a post from anybody who is claiming to have found the ideal charge port illumination solution. .... it could be you !!
I've got this most of the time, so lights up when needed. My cables are in a safe place, so no need for any illumination and I am also worried if the cables are visible there are risks with that - like theft etc.,

1643814164525.png

I took a low-tech approach. A battery LED motion sensor night light, as shown. It has a metal backplate to attach to the wall, and sticks to it by magnet. Sufficient light to show the charging socket if close enough. Mine was a LYRIDZ from Amazon - £22 for two. View attachment 763935

Bit late responding, but thanks for this thoroughly sensible suggestion. We were having to use phones as torchlights when we got home in the dark (we park in front of our garage and the illumination from the security light doesn't reach the charge port side). It's weird because even the Nissan Leaf has an illuminated charge port! I guess it never gets dark in California. (Or China.)

Anyway, we bought one of these off eBay, screwed it to the fence panel nearest the charge port, et voila! In the dark, it comes on when the car reverses into position, and stays on long enough to allow the car to be plugged in.

Battery LED PIR Motion Sensor Security Wall Welcome Light Outdoor Camping Garden 696393616111 | eBay

Wish we'd thought of that months ago...!

Bit late responding, but thanks for this thoroughly sensible suggestion. We were having to use phones as torchlights when we got home in the dark (we park in front of our garage and the illumination from the security light doesn't reach the charge port side). It's weird because even the Nissan Leaf has an illuminated charge port! I guess it never gets dark in California. (Or China.)

Anyway, we bought one of these off eBay, screwed it to the fence panel nearest the charge port, et voila! In the dark, it comes on when the car reverses into position, and stays on long enough to allow the car to be plugged in.

Battery LED PIR Motion Sensor Security Wall Welcome Light Outdoor Camping Garden 696393616111 | eBay

Wish we'd thought of that months ago...!
It doesn’t have to be California bashing all the time. The evolution or inspiration of charging port was from ICE cars. Of course all the petrol pumps / stations have lights so we don’t have to fiddle with the pumps. The same logic was applied as all superchargers have lights. Now home charging was thought of as one off just like using jerrry can to fill petrol in the middle of night at home with a torch. Anyhow that was the thinking when Tesla designed it. Things have changed now and I am sure Tesla will come up with the lights when the next hardware changes happens. But my understanding is they are thinking something different to the 50p lights bmw and Audi has on their charge port. That’s Tesla for you whether you like it or hate it!

Same problem. Charge port in the shadow of the car from the security light. That’s a brilliant idea. Even comes with some double sided stickers so I can fix it to the side of the car 😜

Seriously, such a simple solution. Although I might hold off a bit as I’m sure Tesla could come up with something far more complicated that only partly works in the next couple of weeks…

Last edited:
I’ve returned this device as the light level was so dim it was hardly visible, despite selecting the green one which was apparently the brightest.

• Informative
Reactions: MrBadger