Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highly-optioned P90D confirmed yesterday may be built sooner based on being "loaded"?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've done some reading on the forum, and the takeaway I get is that my chances seem to improve for getting my car sooner than later since I ordered basically every option. Any truth to this?

SFqKB3V.png

Not sure, but it makes good sense. They are running the Sig cars now. Once production starts it will be easy for them to run your car with the other full option cars in your group because all the robots are already configured for all those options and the line does not have to stop to reconfigure. Example the just bare basic models would be the last group to run. My guess would be that before Easter you could be driving your car.

I would skip the Onyx Black wheels if you are looking for faster delivery, since very few people who ordered those have received VINs yet. Otherwise, the only options you absolutely need to order for faster delivery are P90D, 6-7 seats and Premium Upgrades.

I would skip the Onyx Black wheels if you are looking for faster delivery, since very few people who ordered those have received VINs yet. Otherwise, the only options you absolutely need to order for faster delivery are P90D, 6-7 seats and Premium Upgrades.

Agree with this statement...TESLA, per my DS is committed to delivering ALL Signature first, then comes all the P90's and 5 seat and or special non-20" wheels/tires will slow it down. Ludicrous does not affect.

I'm obviously excited to get the car, but I was certainly prepared for a wait. I have no immediate plans to sell the car the X is replacing (ML63), so I'll just cross my fingers and hope the 22" wheels don't delay me too much. If they do, so be it. Thanks for the input.

I don't have a problem withwaiting for the sig deliveries, as long as they configured promptly. But, if I find out my car is sitting in the DC waiting for some sig's who configured late I would be pretty PO'd.

Update to my reply a few posts ago. What a difference a day makes. Our car is very close to the first post here. 6 seat option and 20" wheels for the more tow weight might be any difference. We did have a vin # GF00068x and we now have an estimate on delivery, February or early March. It's to be updated as the days get closer. Anyone else see this on their "My Tesla" page on website ?

Very interesting. There are VINs in the 200s and 400s that have much later deliveries (by 6+/- weeks). I guess it will be that way for a while until they get full ramp up. That said, I am quite sure they're actually producing them in VIN order, but tweaks and other minor issues seem to forcing deliveries to be out of order. More waiting...But I want the best product.

pianoprodigy: you are in dream land. My order is as "heavily optioned" as you including the black onyx wheels and confirmed early january. Hate to be the bearer of bad news, confirmation is that the wheels are not available unitl June. Of course if you want early delivery, pay $500 for a change order and get the silver 22 in wheels, otherwise, wait like the rest of us

I've done some reading on the forum, and the takeaway I get is that my chances seem to improve for getting my car sooner than later since I ordered basically every option. Any truth to this?

View attachment 109529

I have almost the same configuration as you but i am deeply anxious about the black onix wheel been delayed. I don't want to take late june/july delivery for been a fully loaded / all options selected P90DL. I will give a Tesla a call tomorrow to confirm the wheel issue, if it's true, i will pay the $500 to switch to silver wheel. Definitely will report back from my findings.

I have almost the same configuration as you but i am deeply anxious about the black onix wheel been delayed. I don't want to take late june/july delivery for been a fully loaded / all options selected P90DL. I will give a Tesla a call tomorrow to confirm the wheel issue, if it's true, i will pay the $500 to switch to silver wheel. Definitely will report back from my findings.

I told my DS that when I configured and confirmed, the date with black onyx wheels was "early 2016". I told him that Tesla should waive the $500 change fee for those that want to take earlier delivery. Why wouldn't Tesla want my $148,000 sooner rather than later. Waiting for a response.

My P90D (reserved on 3/2014, confirmed on 12/16) order has both the 22" onyx black and non-premium configured. FWIW, my DS told me that there's nothing in my config that would slow down my VIN assignment and production slot. I still don't have VIN shown on MyTesla yet, but she said it's normal given they are still at early stage of production ramp up. Either that's the truth or it's not. I think some people have reserved later than me but already got VIN assigned. I do love the onyx wheels so I am staying put with my config....

My P90D (reserved on 3/2014, confirmed on 12/16) order has both the 22" onyx black and non-premium configured. FWIW, my DS told me that there's nothing in my config that would slow down my VIN assignment and production slot. I still don't have VIN shown on MyTesla yet, but she said it's normal given they are still at early stage of production ramp up. Either that's the truth or it's not. I think some people have reserved later than me but already got VIN assigned. I do love the onyx wheels so I am staying put with my config....

I know it's been said before, but the anecdotal evidence suggests not having the premium does delay the VIN assignment. I confirmed about a week after you and was very fortunate to receive a VIN in mid January.

Last edited:

I too selected the P90D with black Onix wheel. Called Tesla HeadQuaoter sales and they told me there is a delay on the wheel. So I changed to 22 inch turbine and charged me $500. They told me this way I can move month ahead. Well will see... But I love the black Onix wheel, definitely will buy the wheels back later on the year when Teala starts to sell the wheels by itself.

I too selected the P90D with black Onix wheel. Called Tesla HeadQuaoter sales and they told me there is a delay on the wheel. So I changed to 22 inch turbine and charged me $500. They told me this way I can move month ahead. Well will see... But I love the black Onix wheel, definitely will buy the wheels back later on the year when Teala starts to sell the wheels by itself.

You should have asked Tesla to waive the $500 fee since it was a delay on their end that caused you to change. That seems like a very reasonable ask to me.

You should have asked Tesla to waive the $500 fee since it was a delay on their end that caused you to change. That seems like a very reasonable ask to me.

I have seen other member on this forum try to get that $500 waived by Tesla but no luck. So i didn't even bother to ask, just charge me and take care of my change asap. The problem is really not the $500, is there are issues with Model X production in general. I just hope by changing to 22 Silver Turbine will speed up the process for me. Finger Crossed.

I have seen other member on this forum try to get that $500 waived by Tesla but no luck. So i didn't even bother to ask, just charge me and take care of my change asap. The problem is really not the $500, is there are issues with Model X production in general. I just hope by changing to 22 Silver Turbine will speed up the process for me. Finger Crossed.

My DS came back with "sorry if you change to silver 22in then TM has to resequence your (VIN-less my characteriztion) car so we cannot waive $500 fee". Not sure why it would cost any thing to resequence (Not sure that that means) a car that does not even have a VIN and is not even close to a production line. Talk about short sighted when you have a customer on the line ready willing and able to fork over $148K now, good for me I guess, I can wait. ModelXBoy, hopefully, it will pan out for you, but don't be surprised if you get your modified X a week or two before I get mine unmodified. That just seems to be the way things seem to go with TM.

One thing Tesla did with the S in the early days was give people the silver turbines and replace with black when they were in stock. Have also seen them give the 19's until the 22's were available. They did this to recognize the revenue by delivering the car, remains to be seen if they will need to do that here

My DS came back with "sorry if you change to silver 22in then TM has to resequence your (VIN-less my characteriztion) car so we cannot waive $500 fee". Not sure why it would cost any thing to resequence (Not sure that that means) a car that does not even have a VIN and is not even close to a production line. Talk about short sighted when you have a customer on the line ready willing and able to fork over $148K now, good for me I guess, I can wait. ModelXBoy, hopefully, it will pan out for you, but don't be surprised if you get your modified X a week or two before I get mine unmodified. That just seems to be the way things seem to go with TM.

This might be the case or might not be. Tesla never give you any sure answer to anything you throw at them. I went on a call madness with 6 consecutive phone calls to Tesla headquarter sales departments, 5 out 6 people told me the wheel is definitely the case for the delay, last person seems to be new and does not know jack squat. 2 out of 5 sales who believe the wheel is the delay also told me the wheel is most likely to be in stock by September, and additional time to build your car after that. I was already blowing some steam at that time so just change my wheel, i take my chance. This is how Tesla does things, always a guessing game. Win all or be patient game.