Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway 401 Experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I guess most of people definitely drove enough kilometers on ON-401

How's your experience when driving Tesla?

I am NOT an aggressive driver but I am reducing Auto Steer usage on 401 in order to drive safely.

People driving on 401 are stupid.

They cut lane in front of you and AP isnt act quick enough to brake

Moreover

Some people just want to bypass only your car and drive slow in front of you.

WHY?!

During my car in service, I was driving a 330i and no such issues.

Are Torontoians driving mad?!

I guess most of people definitely drove enough kilometers on ON-401

How's your experience when driving Tesla?

I am NOT an aggressive driver but I am reducing Auto Steer usage on 401 in order to drive safely.

People driving on 401 are stupid.

They cut lane in front of you and AP isnt act quick enough to brake

Moreover

Some people just want to bypass only your car and drive slow in front of you.

WHY?!

During my car in service, I was driving a 330i and no such issues.

Are Torontoians driving mad?!
Yes they are mad....Slow cars in the left lane, constantly cutting people off, no turn signals, and going WAY too fast in bad conditions. Very few understand how to drive in snow.

The 401 is better once you get east of Oshawa or west of Kitchener. There is better flow and *most* drivers move to the right lane except to pass.

Note: Still not as crazy as driving in Montreal.....

Reactions: TrevTremaine
Every
single
day.

I swear if I had a dashcam, I could make money on either posting it to youtube on a regular basis or send it to insurance and police. Virtually every day people drive like crap in this city and the risks they're taking is just stunning. I agree with DMC about where's best, but it's equally bad on the QEW, 400 and 404 (let alone inner city streets). Patience continues to decline which is a big part of the problem.

Every
single
day.

I swear if I had a dashcam, I could make money on either posting it to youtube on a regular basis or send it to insurance and police. Virtually every day people drive like crap in this city and the risks they're taking is just stunning. I agree with DMC about where's best, but it's equally bad on the QEW, 400 and 404 (let alone inner city streets). Patience continues to decline which is a big part of the problem.

Guilty, but in my defence I lived in NYC for 14 years and if you didn’t drive like a donkey in NYC you just couldn’t get anywhere. Unfortunately, the aggressive habits I picked up in NYC followed me back here and I am way too aggressive now. I really consciously try to tone it down but I am a work in progress.

Wait there isn’t any stop sign in QC, only arrêt sign :D

Honestly, I was in Montreal during Family day, driving on QC-40 and trans-Canada way, it’s not too bad. No cut in, no brutal racing, just merge!

No right turn on red is a bit stupid, but I think City of Toronto need it as well to relax people :D

One more thing, I saw lots of speee cam on QC Highway, how do they work? I don’t see any in ON...

I have less issues with aggressive drivers, then I do with slow left lane drivers.

Four words (Canadian) drivers don’t understand at all...
“Slower Traffic Keep Right”.
Regardless of what type of road.

We would all be happier, and get home faster if they did. :)

Yes, yes and yes...but I have a question about the HOV lanes (not on the 401 but other 400 series highways)..the HOV lanes are the far left lane, which would typically be the fast lane. I get very frustrated by people driving 100kmh on the dot when in the HOV lane. Likewise, often, I am driving 118kmh using AP in the HOV lane and I will have someone tailgating me because they feel I am not going fast enough. Is there a happy medium or an acceptable rate of speed in the HOV lane?

Yes, yes and yes...but I have a question about the HOV lanes (not on the 401 but other 400 series highways)..the HOV lanes are the far left lane, which would typically be the fast lane. I get very frustrated by people driving 100kmh on the dot when in the HOV lane. Likewise, often, I am driving 118kmh using AP in the HOV lane and I will have someone tailgating me because they feel I am not going fast enough. Is there a happy medium or an acceptable rate of speed in the HOV lane?

Well, what your really saying is; if I feel I’m going fast enough, I may not need to follow the slower traffic keep right rule.
Since everyone has their own opinion of what is fast enough, the rule won’t really work. For some, fast enough is 80km’s, others the speed limit etc.
The only way it really works is, slower traffic keep right always. HOV, 400 series, any road.

Well, what your really saying is; if I feel I’m going fast enough, I may not need to follow the slower traffic keep right rule.
Since everyone has their own opinion of what is fast enough, the rule won’t really work. For some, fast enough is 80km’s, others the speed limit etc.
The only way it really works is, slower traffic keep right always. HOV, 400 series, any road.
No, not at all. What I am asking is if there is some generally accepted speed for the HOV lane?

See... my thoughts were 20km/h over was the breaking point for traffic tickets (hence why I try to stick at 118 or 119km/h).

I've found the following to be a good rule of thumb

60 kph zones - 10 over max
70-90 kph limit, you better be at most 19kph over the limit otherwise ticket. And they seem to more aggressively enforce the 60kph limit zones.

400 series highways - 120-130 you are safe, unless you are exceeding the general flow of traffic. Lately. 130 seems to be the new 120.

I've found this to be the case in York Region and Southern Ontario but of course YMMV.