Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway 5A crash

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mike Cochlin is the brother in law of my wife's co-worker. I haven't met the family but I did met the my wife's co-worker. She always asked about the Model 3 and planning to buy one. RIP to her brother in law and nephews. Mike has an instagram account and has the latest pictures from their trip.

• Informative
Reactions: Lon12
I mean its the worlds safest car. However this was unfortunate and my prayers to the family

Condolences
Well I have to say that I'm surprised this crash has not become front page news for the Tesla haters out there. Let's hope this is the new normal for us.

In my car club circle one of the reasons people tend to point out Tesla events is the misleading claims like "world's safest car" while talking about NHTSA crash data as the implied source of this "award". NHTSA has repeatedly told Tesla to stop because its untrue (NHTSA to Tesla: Stop claiming your cars are the safest). It really burns me to have this repeatedly happen with our cars; they're great cars, extremely safe (only 5 other cars got the top safety rating), but why the need to over-claim and make them a target? Its like the Tesla marketing department and fanbois just can't be happy with a really great car that's "one of the safest cars in the world".

I just drove this route again a couple of weeks ago. Traffic was very light so I experimented with autopilot. It was not able to slow enough on its own for the corners. I would have to take over for a lot of them. Also a long stretch of gravel now beside a lake. Wouldn't recommend it if you are trying to keep your car clean.

Condolences

In my car club circle one of the reasons people tend to point out Tesla events is the misleading claims like "world's safest car" while talking about NHTSA crash data as the implied source of this "award". NHTSA has repeatedly told Tesla to stop because its untrue (NHTSA to Tesla: Stop claiming your cars are the safest). It really burns me to have this repeatedly happen with our cars; they're great cars, extremely safe (only 5 other cars got the top safety rating), but why the need to over-claim and make them a target? Its like the Tesla marketing department and fanbois just can't be happy with a really great car that's "one of the safest cars in the world".

Tesla is simply calling the NHTSA's bluff in its favor. To make Tesla stop, the NHTSA has to admit that its method of calculation is wrong and come up with a new one.

It does the same thing with Autopilot, daring the NHTSA to try to demonstrate that use of Autopilot reduces safety, knowing that it could probably whatabout the NHTSA on a whole bunch of things that the NHTSA doesn't dare try to stop.