Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway access stoplight + FSD -> slow

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Another what are they thinking, highway speed limit 70 (metric/miles) doing 80. (Like everyone else) Chime? and warning about traffic light 200 xxx meters/yards away, tap stalk to signal ya it’s green (which it sees) But then it wants to slow to 70 (speed limit) as you are yelling: go go and tapping stalk. Hint tapping stalk is yes continue breaking the traffic regulations...

The online manual says:

“and displays a red line to indicate where the vehicle will come to a complete stop. To continue through the intersection—even if the traffic light is green —you must pull the Autopilot stalk toward you or briefly press the accelerator pedal to give the vehicle permission to proceed. When you've confirmed that you want to proceed, the red stop line turns grey and Model S continues through the intersection and resumes your set cruising speed.”

I must not have the right manual because i can’t find the sentence that says it will slow to the speed limit before proceeding.

The online manual says:

“and displays a red line to indicate where the vehicle will come to a complete stop. To continue through the intersection—even if the traffic light is green —you must pull the Autopilot stalk toward you or briefly press the accelerator pedal to give the vehicle permission to proceed. When you've confirmed that you want to proceed, the red stop line turns grey and Model S continues through the intersection and resumes your set cruising speed.”

I must not have the right manual because i can’t find the sentence that says it will slow to the speed limit before proceeding.
Dunno about the behaviour, but maybe it's something in Controls for Autopilot.
I found this line, perhaps it's resetting your speed offset? Might be nothing to do with this though.

Set Speed: Choose whether you want your initial
cruising speed, when you engage Traffic-Aware
Cruise Control or Autopilot, to be set to the
currently detected speed limit, or your current
driving speed.

I don’ know if this is still in effect, but the maximum speed when using the stop on traffic light feature depended on the type of road. For non-highway roads, the maximum speed was the actual speed limit plus an increment (if your speed offset was > 0). Maybe this accounts for the speed limit change in your case.

By the way, you said the speed limit was “70 (metric/miles)” — was it metric or miles? I assume you meant metric (70 kph) since you’re in Canada.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Dunno about the behaviour, but maybe it's something in Controls for Autopilot.
I found this line, perhaps it's resetting your speed offset? Might be nothing to do with this though.

Set Speed: Choose whether you want your initial
cruising speed, when you engage Traffic-Aware
Cruise Control or Autopilot, to be set to the
currently detected speed limit, or your current
driving speed.
if You hold the stalk down too long, it will reset to the set speed. Maybe this is what the OP is seeing.

Reactions: rxlawdude
Yes in Canada Meric it is a highway, limit is 80 or 90 but people do 10+ over that. If there is no car in front this occurs. You get warning at 200 meters, tap to continue, again at 100 m, maybe at 50 but then autosteer/etc slows kinda to speed limit then back to your set speed. Tapping on cruise control stalk has no effect. Obviously if you don’t do anything it will stop.