Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway autopilot bug

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone else get this bug? It is present at the same place on the highway in all 4 Teslas I have been in, so it seems to be a map issue.
Essentially, every car on the highway, doesn't matter what lane, becomes a "cut-in" (turns dark, car slams brakes). It's as if AP thinks all 5 lanes are merging into one lane when, of course, they are not. This does NOT occur if I am in the right-most 2 lanes, only the left 3 lanes (but when it does happen, it tags all cars in all lanes as cut-ins).
Thoughts?

Attachments

• ezgif-3-4697547abd4d.gif
    ezgif-3-4697547abd4d.gif
    6.7 MB · Views: 195
Last edited:
Anyone else get this bug? It is present at the same place on the highway in all 4 Teslas I have been in, so it seems to be a map issue.
Essentially, every car on the highway, doesn't matter what lane, becomes a "cut-in" (turns dark, car slams brakes). It's as if AP thinks all 5 lanes are merging into one lane when, of course, they are not. This does NOT occur if I am in the right-most 2 lanes, only the left 3 lanes (but when it does happen, it tags all cars in all lanes as cut-ins).
Thoughts?
Not surprised as I've seen maps related phantom braking before.

I wish Tesla had a way of reporting it, but they don't.

There's never been the slightest indication, not even one time that I know of, that those reports are ever reviewed.
I'm glad you've filled us in that Tesla does nothing, based on your observation. I've actually seen issues addressed that I reported, including map errors.

So, once again, bashybois seem to proffer bovine feces as fact.

I'm glad you've filled us in that Tesla does nothing, based on your observation. I've actually seen issues addressed that I reported, including map errors.

So, once again, bashybois seem to proffer bovine feces as fact.
Oh, good, so they do listen. How did they let you know - like an email or something on your account? Some sort of "thank you" sent along with regular map updates that we all get?

Oh, good, so they do listen. How did they let you know - like an email or something on your account? Some sort of "thank you" sent along with regular map updates that we all get?
Nope. No feedback to the reporter.

With >1M Teslas on the road, do you think that unreasonable they don't personally follow up with you?

And they do "thank you for your feedback" after you submit the bug report. :cool:

Reactions: mark95476
Bug reports by spoken command has been around for years. Are you saying that this command no longer works?

The problem with it is the lack of any kind of feedback or any sense that it even works. Some people have said that it stays on the car for service people to look at. That doesn't make much sense to me because that's not what a bug is.

I'm also a detail orientated person. So I simply can't sum up an issue with a spoken command.

I've reported tons of things to Apple with their maps, and they've always promptly fixed things.

The sheer amount of maps issues with Tesla near where I live is totally unacceptable since I live among high tech workers who jump at the chance to fix things. Like I fixed the parking lot where I work so Smart Summons at least had a chance. With that one it was straight forwards where I updated OpenStreetMaps.

I'm totally willing to try the bug report, and there is a perfect place to try it on my journey to work.

There is a spot where the navigation tells me to turn left onto a road where I then have to take a left across multiple lanes >50mph traffic to get on the road I need to get it work, but if I stay straight I can turn a left onto that road at a controlled intersection. Every other navigation system takes me to the controlled intersection to take a left.

What do you think my results will be in doing a bug report?

1.) No feedback whether its being looked at, and no fixed within 72 hours
2.) No feedback whether its being looked at, but a fix within 72 hours
3.) Feedback that it's being looked at, but they'll conclude its not a bug
4.) Feedback that it's being looked at, and a fix within 72 hours

I'm 99.99% certain its going to be #1, but I'm willing to try it. Obviously it should be fixed before FSD Beta drops since I don't want to have to cancel out of FSD to prevent a rather difficult left.

Last edited:
The problem with it is the lack of any kind of feedback or any sense that it even works. Some people have said that it stays on the car for service people to look at. That doesn't make much sense to me because that's not what a bug is.

I'm also a detail orientated person. So I simply can't sum up an issue with a spoken command.

I've reported tons of things to Apple with their maps, and they've always promptly fixed things.

The sheer amount of maps issues with Tesla near where I live is totally unacceptable since I live among high tech workers who jump at the chance to fix things. Like I fixed the parking lot where I work so Smart Summons at least had a chance. With that one it was straight forwards where I updated OpenStreetMaps.

I'm totally willing to try the bug report, and there is a perfect place to try it on my journey to work.

There is a spot where the navigation tells me to turn left onto a road where I then have to take a left across multiple lanes >50mph traffic to get on the road I need to get it work, but if I stay straight I can turn a left onto that road at a controlled intersection. Every other navigation system takes me to the controlled intersection to take a left.

What do you think my results will be in doing a bug report?

1.) No feedback whether its being looked at, and no fixed within 72 hours
2.) No feedback whether its being looked at, but a fix within 72 hours
3.) Feedback that it's being looked at, but they'll conclude its not a bug
4.) Feedback that it's being looked at, and a fix within 72 hours

I'm 99.99% certain its going to be #1, but I'm willing to try it. Obviously it should be fixed before FSD Beta drops since I don't want to have to cancel out of FSD to prevent a rather difficult left.
And your expectation that they fix it within 72 hours is reasonable? IIRC, it took a week or so to correct our street map to show the address on the correct side of our tract.

I'll try a bug report and give it a few months for a resolution. For the last couple of years the nav refuses to take the exit nearest my house. Interestingly it happens going both directions - either wants go go another mile each way to the next exit and actually circle back. Calculated route is neither shorter or faster by a long shot. Nothing new - exit has been there 20 years.

I'm also expecting no response but we'll see. Would love to learn otherwise but customer support history screams otherwise.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS
And your expectation that they fix it within 72 hours is reasonable? IIRC, it took a week or so to correct our street map to show the address on the correct side of our tract.

In reporting pot holes to my county its averaged less than 72 hours from the time I reported it, and the time it was fixed. So I think 72 hours is plenty for a simple maps issue for Tesla/TomTom to fix. But, I'll be generous and I'll give it 2 weeks.

If its not fixed or feedback isn't given in 2 weeks then its a failure, and I'll never bother with the report bug voice feature again.

After 2 weeks I'll report it to TomTom, and give them 2 weeks as well.

Going from 67 mph to 64 mph is hardly what I would expect from "slamming on the brakes".
But definitely seems something off. Could be the B-pillar camera perception issue. Worth reporting - there is a section under Tesla App - Request Service for "Driver Assistance Features"

I would at least report it there.
It does slam on the brakes, it's just that I know where/when it is going to happen so I try to thread the accelerator pre-emptively to override/dampen the phantom braking.
And again, it's not an issue with just my Tesla, it happens to anyone and everyone in Autopilot at that spot (at least all that I have polled, and personally confirmed x 4). So I don't think replacing the fleet's B pillar cams is the way to go :)

The other interesting thing I forgot to mention in OP is, this used to happen at several spots on that highway in both directions.
Advice at that time was to make sure map data was correct on openstreemaps.org. They were a complete mess and totally inaccurate. (Shocking since this is the main highway adjacent to "The Strip" in las Vegas, not some Podunk road).
Anyway, I fixed them and voila, the following maps update, everything was fixed. Except for this spot.
I went back and made sure this part of highway was correct on openstreetmaps, maybe added a few specifics, and the next 2 map updates over the next 1.5 yrs it still never resolved the issue.

As for "report bug" via wheel, I've tried that twice/day for 2 years. They don't use them at all (at least for this purpose-- according to hacker Green, the only thing that is actually reported/uploaded is infotainment data).

Tesla's own manuals indicate that they don't use the bug reports in an official way or that they are for sure to review them:

NOTE: You can also use voice commands to provide feedback to Tesla. Say "Note", "Report", "Bug note", or "Bug report" (in the English language) followed by brief comments in your language of choice. Model 3 takes a snapshot of its systems, including your current location, vehicle diagnostic data, and screen captures of the touchscreen. Tesla periodically reviews these notes and uses them to continue improving Model 3.

Reactions: S4WRXTTCS