Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
First of all, welcome! Glad you were able to make your first post. Personally, I think the whole idea of on the road charging is a BUNCH of money poorly invested. I think this from the technological aspect as well as the practical. But that's only my opinion. Maybe someone can figure out a way to make this practical. In the mean time I am just going to keep my panels on the roof and my HPWC in the garage.

It would be WAY cheaper to put inductance charging in the place where people park, marked as charge spots. On the road, everyone is crossing over them, for very short periods of time, while a car is parked on average over 20 hours a day.

Then you have inductance inefficiencies, and the question of why the public should even THINK of paying for charging electric cars. Gas cars pay for their own fuel. Tesla owners pay for their own charging at home, and charging is free from Tesla when on road trips. The only leeches in this scenario are the auto makers (GM, Nissan, BMW, etc.) who feel that while they market a cheap car "for the masses", the public can pick up the tab for charging.

WHY? ARE? PEOPLE? SO? DUMB?

When Tesla makes their cheaper batteries, in only a couple years or so, and sells cars with 240 mile range for $35,000 (before rebates), needing to charge at the corner drugstore (or while driving down the road) just so you can get back home, will be a thing relegated to the past. It will be moot. And all these wacko schemes will sit there unused or unnecessary. Paid for by stupidity.

Personally, I think the whole idea of on the road charging is a BUNCH of money poorly invested. I think this from the technological aspect as well as the practical. But that's only my opinion. Maybe someone can figure out a way to make this practical. In the mean time I am just going to keep my panels on the roof and my HPWC in the garage.

A few days ago I was contacted by a project manager with the Florida Department of Transportation about this issue. He wanted to know whether our Tesla club would support a similar project in Florida.

I told him that if a company could come up with a means of plowing some of the necessary infrastructure into certain major highways that might minimize the costs and the disruption of traffic and that this technology could revolutionize the transportation industry.

Depending on the details I told him our club would support such a project.

Larry

- - - Updated - - -

It would be WAY cheaper to put inductance charging in the place where people park, marked as charge spots. On the road, everyone is crossing over them, for very short periods of time, while a car is parked on average over 20 hours a day.

Then you have inductance inefficiencies, and the question of why the public should even THINK of paying for charging electric cars. Gas cars pay for their own fuel. Tesla owners pay for their own charging at home, and charging is free from Tesla when on road trips. The only leeches in this scenario are the auto makers (GM, Nissan, BMW, etc.) who feel that while they market a cheap car "for the masses", the public can pick up the tab for charging.

WHY? ARE? PEOPLE? SO? DUMB?

When Tesla makes their cheaper batteries, in only a couple years or so, and sells cars with 240 mile range for $35,000 (before rebates), needing to charge at the corner drugstore (or while driving down the road) just so you can get back home, will be a thing relegated to the past. It will be moot. And all these wacko schemes will sit there unused or unnecessary. Paid for by stupidity.

Dynamic Charging would make efficient EVs much more efficient by greatly reducing the weight of vehicles. Some technologies claim to have mimimal losses which would be more than compensated for by vehicle weight reductions.

There is nothing written in stone that says that dynamic charging has to be for free and that the public needs to pick up the cost of energy. However, I do think that some of the costs of research should be underwritten by the government.

Larry

As technology, it's intriguing. Practically speaking, it seems much too expensive to be practical, even if it were limited to high-speed roadways (motorways, freeways, etc.). Political support for this would be virtually impossible.