Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway Code: Watching TV in self-driving cars to be allowed…

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Surely if the car can self drive, you’re not the driver and you’ll be able to do what you want?

It’s only an issue if you think ‘tesla full self driving’ in this context at the moment.

Policing is going to be fun though, I can see the day when they put a light somewhere which indicates when the car is genuinely self driving so the police can tell.

isn’t there one of the self driving cars/levels supposed to be abel to handle limited situations like motorways and give you a warning 30 seconds ahead of the need to take control? So mostly can handle itself.

Wonder if this might start allowing Tesla to push to open up some of its featuers - like the auto lane change being actually auto, and smart summon being able to work from more than 2ft away from the car?

The article says "drivers must be ready to take back control of vehicles when prompted" so doesn't sound like a definition compatible with "self-driving-car" :)
That’s pretty much the exact definition of level 3. You are not driving when the car is, your only obligation is to be able to take over in a defined time, I think the (proposed?) regs are around 7-10 seconds to do so.

This is just future proofing surely. There is no car that can self drive to the appropriate standard currently.

Agree. It’s a nod to the future.

Not a future I agree with to be honest, even though I’m a happy Tesla owner who enjoys the tech. I just don’t believe full self-driving will ever work in reality, with or without the ability to view TV, which I think is madness.

Perhaps on a select number of highly regulated motorways, self-driving may be workable. But on A-roads, B-roads etc, not a chance.

Reactions: roadcred and G4WFT
Yes this doesn’t affect anything currently that Tesla are doing. Even ‘city streets’ FSD wouldn’t fall under it because the rules are for dual carriageways under 37mph (and geo locked to not work outside that).

Nice for the future. It seems to be limited such that manufacturers can develop the systems in anticipation of a relaxing of the rules later.

Tesla could likely repurpose city streets to do it with some development work (you get into some legal questions over the handover back to standard AP at 38mph) but I don’t see them doing it as it doesn’t benefit the US. Same as matrix lights.

As to why now for the story.. ‘a good day to bury bad news’ comes to mind.

it sounds remarkably similar to the regulations that the German manufacturers have been pushing for even down to the odd restriction to 37 mph, which is pretty much 60 kph. Audi actually has a system called traffic jam pilot on the A8 which already does this limited level 3 self driving, though I understand this isn’t an option you can buy at the moment.

Reactions: Mrklaw
Yes this doesn’t affect anything currently that Tesla are doing. Even ‘city streets’ FSD wouldn’t fall under it because the rules are for dual carriageways under 37mph (and geo locked to not work outside that).

Nice for the future. It seems to be limited such that manufacturers can develop the systems in anticipation of a relaxing of the rules later.

Tesla could likely repurpose city streets to do it with some development work (you get into some legal questions over the handover back to standard AP at 38mph) but I don’t see them doing it as it doesn’t benefit the US. Same as matrix lights.
I don't agree, I think Tesla will (rightly) feel obligated to be among the first in this market. They've sold Full Self Driving with the caveat that it will depend on local regulations, as those regulations are changed they will struggle to explain not having capabilities to the limit of what's allowed, like we have today. Purely from a product perspective, I bet they wouldn't want to be the brand that is behind in terms of self driving.

Anyway, it does also help their mission. So far they've only developed and tested at L3 autonomy. These proposals are L4 where the drivers are doing something else like watching Netflix. Tesla's roadmap needs to perfect that type of service at some point, so I can see them being pretty pleased to have an opportunity within agreeable legislation, particularly where it's been indicated that it won't be their direct risk (like the US).

They have driving capabilities that meet these regulations today, just needs to develop the measures to give back control in a safe manner.

Reactions: phil4
it sounds remarkably similar to the regulations that the German manufacturers have been pushing for even down to the odd restriction to 37 mph, which is pretty much 60 kph. Audi actually has a system called traffic jam pilot on the A8 which already does this limited level 3 self driving, though I understand this isn’t an option you can buy at the moment.
That’s because it is. We adopted the UNECE rules. They were initially proposed by Germany and Japan.

We actually adopted the rule about a year ago - the newspapers crowed about us being the first to do so then too. Not sure what has changed recently if anything.

Audi actually has a system called traffic jam pilot on the A8 which already does this limited level 3 self driving, though I understand this isn’t an option you can buy at the moment.

I think Audi binned that in 2020 (for the A8L at least) - not just Tesla finding FSD "hard"

They've sold Full Self Driving with the caveat that it will depend on local regulations, as those regulations are changed they will struggle to explain not having capabilities to the limit of what's allowed

I am assuming that Tesla et al would have known about this upcoming change before it was announced, so could have started work on it.

Tesla software seems to have been pretty flexible and easily able to adapt / take advantage of circumstances, so here's hoping that they choose to do that. Demonstrating some FSD features outside of N.A. seems like good PR to me. UK first suits me :)

These proposals are L4 where the drivers are doing something else like watching Netflix

I have no knowledge on that, but how many brands already have ability (e.g. when stationary) to "Watch TV" on the dashboard?