Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway Driving - FSD vs Autopilot [operation question - resolved]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought a 2019 M3 with FSD. Right now, I am in between model 3's and am contemplating FSD or not for the next one. The main feature I enjoyed that is part of the FSD package is the automatic lane changes. My question is this - if I have standard autopilot and AutoSteer is engaged while on the interstate/ Highway and I want to make a lane change - how does it work? Do I have to effectively disengage Autosteer and reengage after my lane change is complete or does using the signal before/during the lane change allow auto steer to re-engage when you are done with the lane change? Does it bong sound happen every time you change lanes?

Disregard - I think I found my answer - From what I'm seeing you essentially disengage Autosteer either deliberately or inherently by turning the wheel enough to make the lane change which means you'll hear the bong sound for it disengaging. Then of course you'll have to reengage if you want it to continue to Autosteer.

Reactions: terrywhite
Disregard - I think I found my answer - From what I'm seeing you essentially disengage Autosteer either deliberately or inherently by turning the wheel enough to make the lane change which means you'll hear the bong sound for it disengaging. Then of course you'll have to reengage if you want it to continue to Autosteer.
I find that if I use the blinker and turn the wheel enough to make the lane change the disengagement is less jerky than if I do not use the blinker.