Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway range @ 80 mph?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I find ABRP to be extraordinary accurate if you stick to the plan. On recent trips it was +/- 1% from actual.

Also, the car's nav system is really conservative. If you leave a supercharger with it saying you'll reach your destination with 10%...you'll likely get there with closer to 15-16%. This is with a RWD car going speed limit +3mph in good conditions. If you wait until the nav tells you that you're done charging you'll waste 20 minutes and arrive with over 25%....Tesla really doesn't want you to be stranded so it's SUPER conservative.

Last edited:
Reactions: suwaneedad
@Zcd1 , please clarify if you're getting the Performance base version or with the Performance Upgrade package (e.g., 20" wheels, among other things), because range will be affected with either one. I have TM3P with PU and I can manage to get about 275 Wh/mi on highways going 70 MPH +/- 5 MPH with AC on at 72 deg. F. You might be able to skip the first charger and hit the second with 100% SOC at start, but that's probably with ideal traffic condition and guessing without knowing your route. You don't necessarily need to charge back up to 90% SOC to get to the second supercharger, but just enough with some buffer in case of unforseen issues. Remember, TM3 is capable of charging 170 miles in 30 mins, for which I've personally experienced.

I do a 400-mile each way road trip several times a year. There are superchargers along the way, and the trip planner suggests that I stop at one that's about 125 miles into the trip, then another that's about 150 miles further. Given the car's rated 310-mile range, this makes me think that 275 miles of highway driving isn't feasible.
Unless those superchargers are significantly "off-route", "you're doing it wrong".

More specifically, going the fastest speed you're comfortable with (re: safety, legal, driver skill/vision/etc., and passenger comfort concerns) between superchargers is usually the fastest overall route when the superchargers as close together as 150 miles. Don't be afraid of "making 2 stops" instead of 1. It means you can spend all (or almost all) of your time at the superchargers in "the fast lane" of charging -- i.e. not "suffering" the slow charging rate at the top (or extreme bottom) of the battery.

When we got the S P100D, we decided we could skip some stops. When we did, my passenger needed to stop for a restroom break anyway.

Reactions: FlyinLow
Don't forget to account for elevation changes if significant. Round trip, they will effectively cancel each other but it might make a stop necessary in one direction only.

Also, pay attention to the estimated charge remaining at the end of the trip. We used to want 20% but now are quite comfortable with 10% or even less.

I think the most important factors are temperature and road conditions (headwind, rain / snow), then speed. With the LR I did ~220-230 miles last February, at 73-75 mph, heating at 70F. In summer, my experience is that 80 F is actually best temperature for range - even if you have to crank up the AC. This summer I did get under same driving conditions (73-75mph) 240 Wh/mi which is rated range (i.e., range is exactly as advertised at the start of the day). All others are in between. I have the 19" wheels.

I'm just about to pull the trigger on an M3P, and am trying to understand as much about it as I can before placing the order...

I do a 400-mile each way road trip several times a year. There are superchargers along the way, and the trip planner suggests that I stop at one that's about 125 miles into the trip, then another that's about 150 miles further. Given the car's rated 310-mile range, this makes me think that 275 miles of highway driving isn't feasible.

Can anyone tell me the car's realistic range at 80 mph with the AC running? Sales dude ("Owner Advisor") suggested 260 miles, but I'm not sure that I believe that...

TIA for the input!
My behaviors, after five months with LR3 and five road trips relying heavily on SCs...
- use ABRP to get a sense of things. You'll quickly blow this step off once you've taken a trip or two, but it helped me with my initial planning.
- the Tesla nav does a really good job, IMO, of predicting your % SOC upon arrival at the indicated SC, and of warning you if you need to slow down to prevent running out of electrons prior to reaching the SC. The algorithm seems to put up the warning if you're slated to arrive below 7%. I wish this was a setting, since 7% is approximately an eternity of range to me (LEAF driver for 6+ years).
- I leave home near 100%. Initially I left at 100%, but regenerative braking is all but lost at this SOC level, and I don't plan to arrive at a SC below 5% anyway.
- I try to make my first leg at 80mph about three hours long. This way I'm taking the SOC below 20% for sure, sometimes around 10%.
- At each SC stop, I generally take the SOC up to 50-60%, or whatever is needed to get to the next SC. Beyond 60%, you'll begin to notice that pace of charging starts to taper off, so all else held equal there's no reason to hang around at a SC topping up to 70-80-90%.
- Essentially, my first SC stop involves a leg stretch, bio break, and fluid reload. That fluid reload essentially ensures that 90-120 minutes later, I'm ready for that next SC stop. So if SC#1 gets me from 10-20% SOC up to 50-60% SOC, a few hours later I'm back at 10-20% and ready to grab the next 50-60% SOC level and continue on my way.

80mph in my car reliably (meaning, no stress) yields 80% of stated 310mi range...250mi.
I use 80% of stated range for my planning, and to play mental games while underway and monitoring the stated remaining range, the predicted arrival SOC%, and so on.

The efficiency of Model 3 is staggering. I'm comparing it to both Model 3 and to Nissan LEAF in saying so. (Bizarre eh?)

Well s
My behaviors, after five months with LR3 and five road trips relying heavily on SCs...
- use ABRP to get a sense of things. You'll quickly blow this step off once you've taken a trip or two, but it helped me with my initial planning.
- the Tesla nav does a really good job, IMO, of predicting your % SOC upon arrival at the indicated SC, and of warning you if you need to slow down to prevent running out of electrons prior to reaching the SC. The algorithm seems to put up the warning if you're slated to arrive below 7%. I wish this was a setting, since 7% is approximately an eternity of range to me (LEAF driver for 6+ years).
- I leave home near 100%. Initially I left at 100%, but regenerative braking is all but lost at this SOC level, and I don't plan to arrive at a SC below 5% anyway.
- I try to make my first leg at 80mph about three hours long. This way I'm taking the SOC below 20% for sure, sometimes around 10%.
- At each SC stop, I generally take the SOC up to 50-60%, or whatever is needed to get to the next SC. Beyond 60%, you'll begin to notice that pace of charging starts to taper off, so all else held equal there's no reason to hang around at a SC topping up to 70-80-90%.
- Essentially, my first SC stop involves a leg stretch, bio break, and fluid reload. That fluid reload essentially ensures that 90-120 minutes later, I'm ready for that next SC stop. So if SC#1 gets me from 10-20% SOC up to 50-60% SOC, a few hours later I'm back at 10-20% and ready to grab the next 50-60% SOC level and continue on my way.

80mph in my car reliably (meaning, no stress) yields 80% of stated 310mi range...250mi.
I use 80% of stated range for my planning, and to play mental games while underway and monitoring the stated remaining range, the predicted arrival SOC%, and so on.

The efficiency of Model 3 is staggering. I'm comparing it to both Model 3 and to Nissan LEAF in saying so. (Bizarre eh?)

well said, did the exact same thing on our 1,000 mile 15.5 hour drive the other day... it’s almost exactly 14 hours in our old gas car but we didn’t arrive home in pain and exhaustion... it was eye opening how muscly different it was in a good way, we have two more long trips planned, that we definitely wouldn’t do in our old car.

My behaviors, after five months with LR3 and five road trips relying heavily on SCs...80mph in my car reliably (meaning, no stress) yields 80% of stated 310mi range...250mi.
I use 80% of stated range for my planning..

Thank you for the detailed response - much appreciated!

There's a Supercharger center 240 miles from my start point, but neither of the route planning apps suggests trying to get there on my first leg. I will say that it's about 15-20 minutes out of the way from my direct route, so perhaps that's coming into play. From there, it's 180 miles to my destination, which should easily be within range after about 30 minutes of Supercharging (+170 miles in 30 minutes).

I guess it's down to 2 shorter stops without going out of my way at all takes less time than 1 longer stop with 15 extra miles of driving...?

We just did a trip from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City and it is about 400 miles. We stopped three times just to be sure but it said we could have stopped just the once in Beaver,UT and charge about half and would make it. The speed limit is 80mph through most of this drive and hilly.....

We just did a trip from Las Vegas to Salt Lake City and it is about 400 miles. We stopped three times just to be sure but it said we could have stopped just the once in Beaver,UT and charge about half and would make it. The speed limit is 80mph through most of this drive and hilly.....

we just did a trip that included this route but reversed (started at rock springs, WY and drove to so cal) - beaver was the slowest SC we stopped at by far. granted all four spots were full, but even still i didn't expect it to be that slow (we were hovering around 32kw before we gave up and continued to st george to get the rest of the charge we needed to make it to vegas). we weren't at the top or bottom of the battery either, so that wasn't the issue.

i'm wondering if something was wrong with that location...

we just did a trip that included this route but reversed (started at rock springs, WY and drove to so cal) - beaver was the slowest SC we stopped at by far. granted all four spots were full, but even still i didn't expect it to be that slow (we were hovering around 32kw before we gave up and continued to st george to get the rest of the charge we needed to make it to vegas). we weren't at the top or bottom of the battery either, so that wasn't the issue.

i'm wondering if something was wrong with that location...
That location when we stopped had just us and it was doing around 118kw. So all 4 chargers prolly draw off the same source and give you 1/4 of the power.

• Disagree
Reactions: TexasEV
My best estimate for the M3P LR range at 80 mph is as follows:

M3P with 20s - 90% battery drain - 166 miles @ 80 mph with 5% battery degradation
M3P with aeros - 90% battery drain - 191 miles @ 80 mph with 5% battery degradation

This assumes starting with 100% charge and arriving or charging at 10%. I certainly wouldn't want to press my luck by running the battery below 10% by choice,

so me getting 32kw was more likely an indicator of a bad station, correct?

Not necessarily. As the second car to arrive paired with another car already charging you get only what's left over from the first car as it tapers down. I think that can be 32kW if the other car is still early in it's charge. But I hardly ever have to charge while paired.

• Informative
Reactions: crackers8199
Does the onboard nav/trip planner account for the different configs based on the data Tesla receives? Also, if it estimates that you’d arrive at supercharger X with 10% left and CLEARLY, it seems like it may not happen, will it tell you midway to actually stop off at an earlier Supercharger? Let’s call that one Supercharger X-1

Chicago area, you may be more interested in what is going to happen to range in sub freezing weather than at 80MPH.:eek::D

Oh great... and now I bet the Performance and LR 3s (all rated at 310miles LOL) will then probably see like 180 or less on a 80%SOC... Or will it be worse (asking all the cold weather Tesla owners with experience)

Status
Not open for further replies.