Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Highway Range Ignorance

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I even had a 90 min delay on a direct flight this week. Including getting to the airport admittedly early (2 hours) and waiting 45 min for hotel shuttle, it was almost 8 hours for a 3 hour flight. Driving really wasn't an option for this trip though. Flying is horrible now in US.

Hmm. I guess we all have different experiences. I live 12 minutes from Logan airport by cab (by choice; I travel a fair bit). I can't recall a single serious delay (>30 min) or flight cancellation this year, with >50k miles logged. Charmed, I guess; you all just need to make sure you book the same flights I do! :)

Once you own a Tesla, though, the problem with the fly/rent-car strategy is that you end up driving an ICE instead of your beautiful car!

Funny how the highway range topic derailed into complaining about flying...I actually prefer to fly on any trip over 6 hours but neither here nor there.

Agree on the depends on where you live and supercharges for range issues. In the southeast we aren't going to see a supercharger for a while so that might dictate flying vs driving tesla vs driving ICE. In Atlanta u can fly anywhere direct - its unlikely to get a 8 hour trip for what should be a 3 hour one.

intercity travel

Mine will definitely be used inter-city (200 or even 300+ miles one-way), for work and family trips. I find when you are traveling that far, you always stop for a half hour anyway. I will be happy to do so, provided there are superchargers. Until the Teslobelisks land here in the East, I admit we will likely stick with the ICE for the family trips, as the children will certainly not tolerate a multi-hour charge stop.

As far as replacing your regular in all situations, I know we all realize that this cant be done yet until supercharger are at most gas stations. Cross country trips is out. But I am in Albany. Based on the fact that 65 to 70 is the norm on most highways, I think that has to be expected on even day trips. So if a 300 mile range is really rated at 265 but based on highway speeds it drops to 80% of that (something I heard), I cant really drive to see a yankee game or go to Boston for the day. a 2.5 hours trip without arranging for an overnight stay. Even then my charge will will most likely be someones 110volt outlet. With the smaller battery pack I am not sure I can even get there.

If you are plugging in overnight at your house even 180 miles is probably more than enough for almost everyone. What people need to know for now is, assuming all or most highway mileage, how far can you go round trip on a daytrip and make it home. And if you need to go more than that, what is your charge time at a regular outlet, which is all you are likely to find without careful planning, to extend your range.

As far as replacing your regular in all situations, I know we all realize that this cant be done yet until supercharger are at most gas stations. Cross country trips is out. But I am in Albany. Based on the fact that 65 to 70 is the norm on most highways, I think that has to be expected on even day trips. So if a 300 mile range is really rated at 265 but based on highway speeds it drops to 80% of that (something I heard), I cant really drive to see a yankee game or go to Boston for the day. a 2.5 hours trip without arranging for an overnight stay. Even then my charge will will most likely be someones 110volt outlet. With the smaller battery pack I am not sure I can even get there.

If you are plugging in overnight at your house even 180 miles is probably more than enough for almost everyone. What people need to know for now is, assuming all or most highway mileage, how far can you go round trip on a daytrip and make it home. And if you need to go more than that, what is your charge time at a regular outlet, which is all you are likely to find without careful planning, to extend your range.

It's variable of course but driving 65mph with AC or heat on you should be able to get well over 200 miles range. I'd say 220 or so. If Tesla ever posts that online range calculator, that will help. 110V is better than nothing but not really useful for a day trip since it will only add about 3 miles of range an hour of charging. You should be able to find public 30A J1772 chargers though so that would help. Tesla also has a store in NY so maybe that would be an option to charge at 80A.

Looks like Albany to NYC is 150 miles. If you are able to charge at 30A for 4-5 hours you should be able to make it back.

The Beltway in the DC area is 55 mph, but no one travels at that speed. I was on it yesterday, and almost everyone was doing 74 mph, with many cars going faster. Once outside the DC area, the speed limit becomes 65 mph and people usually go about 10 mph over that limit. On the NJ Turnpike, people tend to drive 75/80 mph plus. Anyone driving 55 mph is looking to be hit.

Guess what I am saying is that rating the range on driving at 55 mph is unrealistic; it should be based on at least a 65 mph speed, if not higher, as many, many parts of the US have 70, 75 and even 80 mph speed limits.

It will be years before Superchargers are located everywhere in the US. Tesla says they will have Superchargers installed within 2 years. Bassed on past experience, I think that is optimistic outside CA. Thus, for the immediate future, an ICE car will still be needed.

Realistic rating would be one rating with AC on and another with heat on. If the windows are up, odds are you are going to be cooling or heating the interior.

So you say it is 265 miles with no heating or cooling at 65 mph. What is it when the heating and AC system is on? I asked the tesla rep this question several months ago with respect to a 75mph driving speed and was told that the range would drop from the 300 mile range (based on the original testing method) to about 225 miles on a brand new battery pack.

Realistic rating would be one rating with AC on and another with heat on. If the windows are up, odds are you are going to be cooling or heating the interior.

So you say it is 265 miles with no heating or cooling at 65 mph. What is it when the heating and AC system is on? I asked the tesla rep this question several months ago with respect to a 75mph driving speed and was told that the range would drop from the 300 mile range (based on the original testing method) to about 225 miles on a brand new battery pack.

The link Cinergi posted goes into the other factors like heat and AC with the impact they have on range with a 10-15% reduction on range at 55mph. I'd assume more at higher speeds of course.

The link Cinergi posted goes into the other factors like heat and AC with the impact they have on range with a 10-15% reduction on range at 55mph. I'd assume more at higher speeds of course.

HVAC will have less effect at higher average speeds since it will be run for less time.

Compare the effect of HVAC use at 25 mph and 100 mph as an example. At 25 mph HVAC might reduce range by 40% but at 100 mph the effect might only be a couple %.

And it's going to depend on the temperature difference you're trying to achieve. If you have the heat set for 70 but it's 40F outside, you're not going to consume much. If it's 0F outside, it'll be closer to that 10-15% hit on your range (but again, depending on your speed, like drees mentioned).

True Jules (BTW, welcome to the forum)...the problem often is the temptation to drive faster though... :wink::biggrin:

Honestly, I've found that everywhere I travel I can take the back-roads and arrive within 5 minutes of the time I would have arrived at my destination had I taken the highway. So I will have no problem extending my range without going over 55 :)

If you're truly spending the day in Boston, there are dozens of J1772 EVSEs scattered around the city, many of the free or free-with-paid-parking. For example, 100 Clarendon has 10 free Chargepoint chargers and sits next to the Back Bay Orange Line/Amtrak station, 2 blocks from Copley Square, and an easy walk to Fenway Park. Now, if you want to go to Salem or Marblehead, say, then you'll need to get creative.