TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC
Start a Discussionhttps://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/tags/

Highways identified as local roads...?

Discussion in 'Model X: Driving Dynamics' started by Mistersir, Mar 30, 2017.

1. Mistersir

Mistersir Member

A significant part of my commute is on a 4 lane highway with speed limits of 55 and 60mph in different parts.
    Its two lanes in each direction with a double yellow in the middle.
    Unfortunately for me, this road is treated as a 'local road' and not a Freeway/Highway. Technically its a Highway...
    Does anyone have any facts or opinions on why that is and when we might expect that to change?

2. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I've often heard about AP being for Divided Highways, which to me means some kind of physical divider (guard rail, median, curb, wall, etc.) between each direction. I suspect that your double-line highway doesn't cut it for full function AP.

• Like x 2
  3. Mistersir

Mistersir Member

That's too bad. I really hope they up the speed for 'local roads' then....I wonder what the max for that will eventually be?

4. cpa

cpa Active Member

I don't know about Oregon--or Maine--not sure in which state you reside. But in California the Streets and Highways Code

Codes: Codes Tree - Streets and Highways Code - SHC

defines this sort of distinction. Perhaps your state does too. In California just because a road has a numbered shield does not necessarily mean that it is a "highway."

The American Association of State Highway Transportation Officials is another place to look for information:

http://www.transportation.org/

Many of the requirements for the fifty states are mandated by this organization.

• Like x 1
  5. vandacca

vandacca ReActive Member

I think on local roads it should end up being something between 5-15 miles above posted speed limit.

6. Mistersir

Mistersir Member

I agree with this...sounds pretty good and isn't AP1 +5mph?

7. FarmerDave

FarmerDave Supporting Member

Yes , that's correct.
    For a while it wasn't +5, but after an outcry the +5 offset capability was restored.

8. oktane

oktane Active Member

Same problem. Annoying, would be nice to know what "metric" is being used to decide what constitutes a freeway. For me, if traffic is divided by a physical barrier, moves at 80+ MPH, and there are no stop lights or signs, that should qualify as a freeway.

9. Mistersir

Mistersir Member

I agree with that. The road I am referring to has no divider unfortunately....