TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hilarious new dealer attack - "Tesla Saves Consumers Money"

Discussion in 'Tesla Motors' started by CapitalistOppressor, Sep 16, 2013.

1. CapitalistOppressor

CapitalistOppressor Active Member

California new car dealers claim Tesla violates advertising laws - latimes.com

Ok, in fairness I think we can all agree that Tesla's initial calculators went too far with how they set their default values and monthly lease costs.

And while I think the default settings are much better now, I agree that some of the options are fairly ludicrous.

That said, I am awestruck at the stupidity of the dealers in this. How does this accomplish anything except to stir up a big debate about just how much money you can save by owning an EV?

Face it, the core of Tesla's argument is entirely correct. The total cost of ownership on a Model S is likely to be far, far lower than an equivalent BMW 7 Series. And those comparisons are generally going to hold anytime you have comparably priced alternatives between ICE and EV.

I vote for putting this firmly in the "There is no such thing as bad publicity" category. I am just shocked that they think this is a good idea.

2. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Best part
    I would assume most people buying this car have to pay more than $7,500 in federal taxes (I realize not all but hardly a majority).

3. texex91

texex91 Banned

The dealers are certainly trying to find anything to cry about.

However, I do wish Tesla on their site when you build would not subtract that $7500 from the build price. Albeit they say AFTER tax credit, it's still a little silly to show a much lower number. I understand why they do it, just I don't like it for the reason that not everyone will qualify for the $7500 tax credit (I do hear your point Dave). They should state 'potential' tax savings.

Anyways, living in Texas, I don't care for any of the auto dealers and their slimy tactics they use to hinder Tesla expansion in Texas (and other states).

4. Discoducky

Discoducky Active Member

More free advertising and driving people to the website to configure cars is fine by me ;)

5. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

How do you stop doing something you already aren't doing?

This sounds like regulating commerce by forcing you to engage in said commerce.

6. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

I agree the 'after federal tax credit' is slightly misleading and doesn't apply to 100% of buyers but not any more shady than advertising practices from dealerships or Best Buy...etc. I do think Tesla should stop advertising after the tax credit price or maybe list both to highlight the credit.

7. liuping

liuping Active Member

I'd prefer they list prices before credit as well. I always have to add it back in to calculate sales tax, etc.

On the other hand, the Leaf, Volt and Spark all advertise their price minus the $7500 tax credit. And I assume the percentage of people buying a $24k (before credit) EV that might not qualify for the full credit is quite a bit higher than the for people buying a $90k car.

8. ItsNotAboutTheMoney

ItsNotAboutTheMoney Active Member

The tax credit should never be included in the price, not because not everybody's entitled, but because taxes are calculated on the amou nt before tax credit.

9. liuping

liuping Active Member

Exept for those lucky few who live in states that do not charge sales tax on EVs. Almost makes me want to move. :)

10. stopcrazypp

stopcrazypp Well-Known Member

Keep in mind all the other plug-in manufacturers include the credit too, so Tesla would be at a disadvantage not to (included only Leaf and Volt for brevity):
    http://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/leaf/
    http://www.chevrolet.com/volt-electric-car.html

If any of those car dealers sell a plug-in (which would also do the same $7.5k subtraction), they would be hypocrites and also would be violating advertising laws.

11. TurboFroggy

TurboFroggy Member

The other thing that sleazy dealers do as well is advertise cars like the Leaf and Volt as a net price on sites like Cars.com and Autotrader.com. This is against cars.com's terms of use, I sent a complaint in and verified. Dealers constantly list the net price which is minus the $7500 tax credit and any other magical savings that you may or may not quality for. So if you use cars.com's search engine and sort by price lowest to highest you can see the dealers that do this.

12. spaghetti

spaghetti Member

The irony here is that dealers have all sorts of sleazy tricks to maximize their profits - see this article Confessions of a Car Salesman

It's laughable that they are crying foul here - Tesla sales must be really hurting them.

13. Tacket

Tacket Member

The tax credit is not going to last forever, so might be nice for them to actually list the price as $xx,xxx - $7500.

14. reddy

reddy Member

Seriously ?

A CAR DEALER trying to seize the moral high ground ?

If you ask anyone what experiences they hate in life, the car purchase dickering and hassles ranks near the top.

And new car dealers are right at bottom of ethical rankings, just above used car dealers and Congress.

15. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

California car dealers want Tesla ads probed - CNBC
    To my knowledge, Tesla hasn't bought any advertising. They have a web site with some data on their products. That is not advertising. If that's advertising, then having a physical office in the desert with a phone number is advertising.

If the claim is about Tesla's "advertising", isn't the simple rebuttal / dismissal argument: "they are complaining about something that doesn't exist"?

What am I missing?

16. cschock

cschock Member

This was exactly my first thought as well. They don't actually advertise at all.

17. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Well, the original article doesn't reference which law it is, and instead says "several state and federal laws." Probably more an issue of sloppy language by the dealers association which made it into the article and headline. I'm sure there are laws on the books about deceptive pricing practices regardless of whether it's over the air, on a billboard or on a pricing sheet.

18. wycolo

wycolo Active Member

Could be that a company self-defines what is 'advertising' by whether or not its cost is deducted as an expense. If TM deducts the annual net cost of running its website(s), which seems likely, then you could say that TM indeed has an advertising budget of xx dollars.
    --

19. brianman

brianman Burrito Founder

This wasn't sloppy language in a memo. The part I quoted was directly from the mouth of Brian Haas in that video from CNBC. If you're going on television talking about how you want another company probed by the government, your language should be spot on not sloppy.

20. JohnQ

JohnQ Active Member

Just a quick Wikipedia search regarding "false advertising." Wikipedia - False Advertising - Regulation and Enforcement

The relevant item for California states
    I would say that Tesla's webpage qualifies.