Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Hilarious service estimate

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

LongRanger

Jan 11, 2020
Wales
My first planned SC visit has got off to a hilarious start.

Raised the following a while back and off to see Bristol next week. It’s a company car so none of it is my problem.

Steering wheel not straight - £224.75
Glue residue on dashboard and airbag cover (steering wheel) - £72.50
Rear number plate not fully fixed and rattles - £21.75

All plus VAT.

Genuinely it’s a comedy show. Just sent them an email telling them not to be idiots and I’m not approving an estimate for factory faults.

Isn't the 72.50+ VAT the standard quote for them to look at something that might be a not be covered under warranty. Then if it's warranty you don't pay?

It's probably not as hilarious as the 450+ vat they wanted from me to investigate something that was loose under the floorplan area since new. They did eventually waive it, good job, turned out to be a loose clip.
The service lady said they find sweets etc hence the charge. I laughed and said even then that probably shouldn't get into the body of the car!

Isn't the 72.50+ VAT the standard quote for them to look at something that might be a not be covered under warranty. Then if it's warranty you don't pay?

It's probably not as hilarious as the 450+ vat they wanted from me to investigate something that was loose under the floorplan area since new. They did eventually waive it, good job, turned out to be a loose clip.
The service lady said they find sweets etc hence the charge. I laughed and said even then that probably shouldn't get into the body of the car!
The rear HVAC vents don't have a grills. If something falls into them it can be essentially impossible to remove without removing the battery and can rattle badly or so I have heard. I Imagine sweets are one of the more common items in that scenario. I suspect that is what she was referring to rather than the assembly workers leaving their snacks behind. Its a pretty poor design tbh. You can buy grills on Ebay for about £5. probably a good investment.

2* Air-Flow Vent Protective Cover Trim For Tesla Model 3 ABS Black Car Interiors | eBay

I've got some of them coming from Aliexpress too. Don't think I'll ever need them (I don't eat in my car and I don't have kids) but you never know.
Coins sometimes fall out of my pockets while I'm driving and end up under seats. I imagine a pound coin in there would be about as bad as it could get.
The other risk is not the rattling but losing something important like a key. I like to hope you couldn't get an entire smartphone in one but if you can my daughters would. They manage to lose or break them in every other imaginable way!

problem solved - a slightly forceful email to SC parts dept and a less than polite one to our Tesla enterprise sales/fleet mgmt team seems to have magically changed the estimate to 0.

at least it got me excited for a couple of hours ....

With respect it sounds like you're revelling in the confrontation. On the one hand you're saying it's not your money so you don't care, but on the other you're taking issue with the prices quoted. o_O

The £224.75 for steering wheel alignment sounds ridiculous but I presume there is diagnosis (£72.50) and 4 wheel tracking included in that price. Still, I wouldn't be happy with that either.

Reactions: Exy1