TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Hill Control Lies! Rolled back and hit a car :(

Discussion in 'Model X' started by asdfasdf, Sep 20, 2016.

1. asdfasdf

asdfasdf Member

I was at a red light uphill, double checked that hill control was enabled, took my foot off and fiddled with the music, and then i suddenly rolled back and hit the car behind me! ;( ;( ;( pics attached. Is this something tesla would take responsibility for? Can they diagnose what went wrong?

Sensor popped out, reflector bent etc. other car had more damage of course. ugh.

edit: photo

Attached Files:

• Informative x 3
  2. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

Any chance you accidentally tapped the brake or accelerator? Either of those will disengage hill-hold-assist.

• Informative x 1
  3. Incredulocious

Incredulocious '11 LEAF –> '13 RAV4 EV

Huh?? Since when is hill hold assist supposed to do anything but hold the brake for a second or two so you can reach the accelerator. I wasn't aware that hill hold assist in any vehicle holds the brake indefinitely.

4. Aljohn

Aljohn Member

Sorry to hear. You can try, but IMHO, you are responsible to control the vehicle. Even though your fault, your insurance would cover.

5. gavine

gavine Petrol Head turned EV Enthusiast

I think you're confusing he pre-autopilot with post. Post-AP cars allow you to engage the hill hold indefinitely.

• Informative x 1
  6. Cyclone

Cyclone Active Member

And they engage every time with a "hard press", not that "maybe it will engage nonsense" like on the classics.

• Like x 1
  7. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

Happened yesterday to me too! Car behind me honked so I braked with an inch to spare! I think I've said the following in a thread before but I'll say again:

When in drive, there is NEVER a situation when I want the car to move in reverse.

A few updates back I think they made it so you need to put a bit more pressure on the brake to enable "hold". Could have been my imagination. Desire is for the following:

If I'm stopped, and creep is set to off, automatically put the car in hold. "Stopped" can be defined as that instant of time before rolling backwards when slowing down moving uphill.

If that isn't possible due to a safety concern or regulation, then visually and audibly warn me the instant the car rolls in reverse when in "drive".

• Like x 4
  8. asdfasdf

asdfasdf Member

exactly, the car started rolling AFTER hill hold was engaged. this is an X so yeah post-ap.
    did you report this to tesla? SO lucky there wasnt anyone standing between the cars!

9. chillaban

chillaban Member

I've caught myself accidentally tapping a pedal and disengaging it before…. I fortunately didn't have a near miss, but I ended up deciding to hit Park every time I wanted to do something where I couldn't catch the car rolling (e.g. when fiddling with infotainment or other stuff).

I was at a car wash trying to punch in my code and while reaching out, hit the accelerator a bit.

10. Oursecondone

Oursecondone Member

mine works fine...used on hills today in fact....

11. PacManMX

PacManMX Member

I can't be 100% certain I engaged it. I'm in the habit of using hold at most all stops though - I put it in hold unconsciously by applying significant extra pressure to the brake when stopped and also look for the hold icon. That said, it is absolutely possible that I didn't press hard enough and/or didn't verify the icon. In fact, I'll assume I was in error. My hope is that Tesla takes one of my suggestions above to reduce the chance of such an error in the future.

• Informative x 1
  12. Cosmacelf

Cosmacelf Active Member

Yeah, accidentally brushing the accelerator pedal is easy to do, so relying on hill hold without paying attention is risky. I agree with the other poster, if you are going to be distracted, then just put the car into Park.

• Informative x 1
  13. eddiemoy

eddiemoy Member

i use it extensively at each and every stop. sometime not even knowing it is on. but i've never had an incident where it disengaged on it's own. are you sure it wasn't user error?

• Like x 2
  14. asdfasdf

asdfasdf Member

not 100% but hopefully tesla can investigate and determine this

15. S4WRXTTCS

S4WRXTTCS Active Member

I've never been able to bring myself to having hill control engaged with my foot off the brake for any length of time.

Maybe it's trust issues.

Sure I use hill control on hills all the time, but that's just for the moment from the brake to the throttle. So I don't slip back.

I also use hill control on mostly flat surfaces when I don't want a delay between moving my foot from the brake to the throttle. So I have it hovering on the throttle.

16. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Electron Pilot

Tesla can probably look it up in your logs for you. Engaging/disengaging hill hold is certainly an event that's recorded in the log.

17. SSD420

SSD420 Member

It holds the brake almost indefinitely. If you're in Hill Hold mode too long it automatically puts you into park.
    (Source: playing Pokemon Go too often)

• Funny x 1
  18. c52k

c52k Member

On my BMW X5 it does. Holds it in place until I either hit the brake or gas. Only had my MX for a week so haven't tried it out yet.

19. Skotty

Skotty 2014 Model S P85

I'm pretty sure hill hold is not meant to be an autonomous driving feature. It's just there to hold the car long enough for you to switch pedals. If you want the brake to hold, hold the brake, or put it in park. I don't think Tesla has ever guaranteed anything more than that.

20. HankLloydRight

HankLloydRight Fluxing

I'm not sure it's legal to put a car "in park" on an active roadway.